Electrical interferance? Space Aliens? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Electrical interferance? Space Aliens?

I finally got all the work done on the 2002 and put it on the road Monday as I was taking my daughter to school there is an electrical substation next to an intersection where I turn right as I pull up to the stop light the truck sputtered and quit. When I tried to restart, it sputtered but ran enough to make the turn but quit again, I coasted along the side of the road and restarted once more this time ran perfect and continued without incident all day. This happens every day this week at the same spot, here is where it gets even more strange, going the other way it barley has a small shudder. I need to shield something but what? My first thought is the wire going to the 6 pos switch but do I put a ferrite on it? Maybe wrap the wire in foil?

1996 F350 stock 350k+ miles still on original injectors

2002 F550 Swamps 175/146, tymar, bowl delete, RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM
PSN Local

Re: Electrical interferance? Space Aliens?

Certainly couldnt hurt. I put a ferrite on my chip wire when I installed my hids. My truck would die when turning on my lights before I added the ferrites. They cause goofy issues so the ferrites are nice. Not sure that will fix your issue but a good place to start.

Early 99 F350 7.3 PSD Diy Intake,4 in TB straight pipe, 17* HPOP CCV Mod, Foil Delete, HPX, BTS VB, Coolant Filter, Autometer, TW Chip, TC Lockup, EBPV Brake, Tru Cool 4739 sittin on 315/75/R16 Toyo Open County M/T

03 Cobra
97 Saturn SL1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM
PSN Newb

Search for Faraday bags, they should help to protect it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Hoonable:
and

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondad View Post
I finally got all the work done on the 2002 and put it on the road Monday as I was taking my daughter to school there is an electrical substation next to an intersection where I turn right as I pull up to the stop light the truck sputtered and quit. When I tried to restart, it sputtered but ran enough to make the turn but quit again, I coasted along the side of the road and restarted once more this time ran perfect and continued without incident all day. This happens every day this week at the same spot, here is where it gets even more strange, going the other way it barley has a small shudder. I need to shield something but what? My first thought is the wire going to the 6 pos switch but do I put a ferrite on it? Maybe wrap the wire in foil?
did you change any sensors and/or wiring with non Ford Motorcraft parts at the same time as the injector & chip install?

I've heard of identical scenarios (shutting off near power stations/big power lines) with non Ford ICP sensors in particular in the past.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
I've heard of identical scenarios (shutting off near power stations/big power lines) with non Ford ICP sensors in particular in the past.
Even so much as turning on the wipers is a well documented kill switch with some off brands of ICP sensors.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry this has been so long in reply I am a boat mechanic so my online time has been ONLY to order parts, the rest is work til you drop every day......

I have changed the route I drive to avoid problems in the short term. I hooked up some of my gauges over the weekend and took the old route to school because I forgot and I was fine :confused Maybe that wiring bled off some interference? BTW I have not gotten the time to de-solder the switch to slide a ferrite on.

Later that day I noticed a massive oil leak from the IPS and replaced it with a BWD (from the first auto parts store I came to) Anyway I had to go by the substation once again and the problem did not occur that time either so hopefully the old one was the trouble, now I need to get a Ford one to keep in the box along with a CPS.

I did have a strange occurrence one day this week- started up at the marina, backed out of my spot, put it in drive and the truck lurched forward and the stalled engine, it was like a manual truck just dropping the clutch with no throttle. Restarted and happened again several times, tried it in reverse again and all was well I even power braked it to 1200 RPM all seemed normal. After checking the trans fluid and sitting for a few minutes thinking AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH,I restarted and away she went

BTW I am happy with this setup and getting just over 10 mpg in the medium towing tune so if I can get the reliability handled I will be very happy

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry for the double post but I didn't answer Golfers questions directly, I'm confident the sensors are all off brand but since the truck is used I just don't know for sure. I made one pass by the station without incident after installing gauges but before installing the off brand sensor and one pass with out incident since the sensor. The weird transmission thing was after the BWD IPS.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

transmission thing (converter locking & stalling the engine) is generally from low line pressure...but I'd have to ask our trans guy what component could make it (line pressure) intermittent
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:55 PM
PSN Local

Had the same problem with a 50W race radio. Shut the engine rightoff. Changed the ICP, eliminated the problem. Napa part.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 PM
PSN Newb

I don't know how the 7.3s are but I'll throw this out there on my 6.0 the injector harnesses are shielded with a foil wrap inside the loom. There is a small wire with a ring terminal coming out of the loom on a rear intake bolt. I put injectors in my 6.0 once and started the nut on that shield ground but forgot to tighten it up. Every time I'd key up my cb radio with the amp on it'd stall the truck at idle or skip going down the road. During a later repair I found that loose ground and fixed it and the radio no longer affects my truck.

I don't know if the 7.3 is similar but its worth looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode