Thinking about doing upgrades - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thinking about doing upgrades

I was thinking about doing upgrades to my truck I know the first thing would be an exhaust or a intake but I was thinking of getting a Programmer with the screen display with gauges and such so I don't have to install any pillar gauges. My question is do these programmer already come loaded with tunes? I mostly do daily driving small towns and highway and will be towing a 17ft bass boat once in awhile.
I have a early 99 7.3 with 287k on it all stock from what I know. I was just going to do a cat delete or a cat back and maybe a downpipe I'm not looking to go crazy with it and a tuner/chip and intake and that's it.
Only reason I'm considering putting a tuner or chip in is because I cant stand when I'm on the highway or turnpike and the speed limit changes to 65 and the truck is all low end rpms when climbing a incline until I smash the peddle it will downshift and then turbo will start screaming sounding like a jet engine lol.
I know this discussion has been discussed a million times I just want something simple I would really like the edge or sct I even think the new diablo Ipod looking one has gauges and monitors.

1994.5 f350 7.3 powerstroke zf5 tranny 4x4. All Stock Sold
99 f250 ext cab 8ft bed. 4" turbo back mbrp with 4 to 6 MBRP dual wall angle tip, DIY TYmar intake PHP Hydra, and Edge Insight CS2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Thinking about doing upgrades

Or do I have it totally wrong the edge is just a monitor unless I get the bundle or I'd still have to buy the chip and the monitor?

99 f250 ext cab 8ft bed. 4" turbo back mbrp with 4 to 6 MBRP dual wall angle tip, DIY TYmar intake PHP Hydra, and Edge Insight CS2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM
PSN Veteran

6637 filter set up. I'd run a turbo back exhaust system. Check out the ts informant. Nice looking display. The only thing I would think about would be a valve body in your transmission if you have an automatic.

Black truck. 350/200 S472sxe arp, beehives, pushrods, fuel lab pump, stealth twins, swamps idm. Dana60 with ox locker. 33 row dorman transmission cooler. BTS transmission. 20x12 mo970 305/55 toyo open country.

2011 f350 36xxx 20x12’s -44 leveled.

White. 230,xxx 1995 f250 Dana 60, 5inch diamond eye. 6637. Winter/work truck.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes95powerstroke View Post
6637 filter set up. I'd run a turbo back exhaust system. Check out the ts informant. Nice looking display. The only thing I would think about would be a valve body in your transmission if you have an automatic.
Ok sounds good thanks and I heard of a new chip that will supposedly run circles around any chip my local diesel mechanic told me it's called a kraken.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemutis View Post
I was thinking about doing upgrades to my truck I know the first thing would be an exhaust or a intake but I was thinking of getting a Programmer with the screen display with gauges and such so I don't have to install any pillar gauges. My question is do these programmer already come loaded with tunes? I mostly do daily driving small towns and highway and will be towing a 17ft bass boat once in awhile.
I have a early 99 7.3 with 287k on it all stock from what I know. I was just going to do a cat delete or a cat back and maybe a downpipe I'm not looking to go crazy with it and a tuner/chip and intake and that's it.
Only reason I'm considering putting a tuner or chip in is because I cant stand when I'm on the highway or turnpike and the speed limit changes to 65 and the truck is all low end rpms when climbing a incline until I smash the peddle it will downshift and then turbo will start screaming sounding like a jet engine lol.
I know this discussion has been discussed a million times I just want something simple I would really like the edge or sct I even think the new diablo Ipod looking one has gauges and monitors.
Take a look at our Infinity. Tons of options.

~Diane
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Take a look at our Infinity. Tons of options.

~Diane
Very nice but out of my price range lol. I think I might just go with the Hydra or a tsc or something and just get the edge electronic gauge or just get 3 pillar gauges I just didn't want to put any holes in the firewall or dash to run anything because the truck doesn't have any cracks or anything in the dash I didn't want to mount a turn dial chip.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 AM
PSN Newb

Im kind of in the same boat... Found out i have a E99. Got back from hauling a toy hauler (yes HEAVY) n was extrememly disappointed in the performance from the stock setup. Was planning on doing the 6637 filter mod n exhaust (6.0 trans cooler n ts,jet or dp chip), but not sure it is going to give me desired results! Im not looking for 600hp... liket o get 300hp n big torgue numbers just for pulling! Hated going up a long grade at 35mph in second gear!!!!!!!! May just put it up for sale n move on. 99 f250 auto ccsb stock everything 155000miles.

also Wanted to do a lift kit, but found out my 99 lift wont work because it is 99.5 n up pro comp....grrrr
Any input?>
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 AM
User Error

You can get a 5" turbo back for around 350. I run a TS 6 position, changes the shift pattern a bit but a TransGo Tugger shift kit is a great complement, and only in the low $100s. aFe intake, or an S&B with a GTP38R, combined with the above will make a world of difference altogether under $3,000 if you shop around. If you go with tires bigger than 35s I highly suggest replacing differential gears to maintain factory RPM & speed, I run 37s and with stock gears going up a grade with my light 4500# camper feels like the life gets sucked out of the truck. Diff gearing can make a world of difference with the bigger rubber.

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 AM
User Error

Long story short, you're gonna throw some cash at the truck no matter what year to be happy with it. Benefit is, compared to the newer engine options, the 7.3s are so common and simple that upgrades are much cheaper and easier to install, and it's possible to squeeze the same amount of power out of it as built engines from the newer engine lineups.

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiehorse View Post
Im kind of in the same boat... Found out i have a E99. Got back from hauling a toy hauler (yes HEAVY) n was extrememly disappointed in the performance from the stock setup. Was planning on doing the 6637 filter mod n exhaust (6.0 trans cooler n ts,jet or dp chip), but not sure it is going to give me desired results! Im not looking for 600hp... liket o get 300hp n big torgue numbers just for pulling! Hated going up a long grade at 35mph in second gear!!!!!!!! May just put it up for sale n move on. 99 f250 auto ccsb stock everything 155000miles.

also Wanted to do a lift kit, but found out my 99 lift wont work because it is 99.5 n up pro comp....grrrr
Any input?>
Custom tunes on your E99 will really wake it up, and you will like driving the truck a lot more.

I can build a package up for you if you are interested. Shoot me an e-mail, PM, or phone call, and I will get you set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode