Windage? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Dead Member

Windage?

So I just finished reading a thread that was started back in February about oil aeration and the aftermarket high performance pumps effect on oil aeration.

Since I'm new here I don't know everyone's names, but almost all the major vendors had input to one degree or another. The tread became quite the heated debate. I don't want to start that all over again. Plzs

Coming from a different venue where aeration isn't so critical and having had the ability to watch the oil in a crankcase under high RPM......I was surprised that only one person figured out that oil control in the oil pan might be of concern. A Dry sump system was mentioned as a possible improvement to aid in the reduction of the engine's aeration issues. Of course cost hindered all prospect of producing such a kit for the market place as most couldn't afford the system.

My question is why hasn't someone come up with a cheap or affordable, windage tray?

There is a boatload of oil in the pan and launching a truck throws all the oil back and up into the spinning crank. I'm thinking whipped cream in there!

I'm not saying that this is a cure all, but a windage tray has to help in keeping the oil off of the spinning crank as well as reducing parasitic loss, and would seem like a fairly easy product to produce cost wise.

Now I've never had the pan off of a 7.3 so I can't say that I know totally what I'm talking about, but I have seen 20-50w whipped into whip cream at 10,000 rpm and then to settle back down to a non-aerated state in a matter of seconds all while observing this through a clear sight glass in the crankcase. So if one could keep or minimise the oils exposure to the crank it could only be a good thing...right?

2001 F350 7.3 SD EC LB 4X4 Handshaker, Water/Meth Injection, GQSSB W/Carson Stauffer mount, Swamps 250/200 injectors, TE Duals, Fuelab/Sump, Spearco, FS 2500, Fluid Dampner, ARP head/Main studs, Sinister R/R, Detroit locker out back, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Windage?

I don't think it's the crank aerating the oil as much as it is the IPR.

But I don't know for sure...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 AM
PSN Veteran

We already have a windage tray in the pan.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Dead Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokenstang View Post
YIKES! Ouch!

Does the tray always sit that low in the pan or did it get a beat down from the internals of the motor letting go? It sits so low that it looks more like an oil pickup trap than a windage tray in the pictures. I'll see if I can find some pan pictures on the web.

Thanks for the lesson.

2001 F350 7.3 SD EC LB 4X4 Handshaker, Water/Meth Injection, GQSSB W/Carson Stauffer mount, Swamps 250/200 injectors, TE Duals, Fuelab/Sump, Spearco, FS 2500, Fluid Dampner, ARP head/Main studs, Sinister R/R, Detroit locker out back, etc.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Dead Member

Nevermind....

I saw just how low the main bearing caps and crank reside down into the pan.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Crazy Talk

yes its where its suppose to be lol. and thats the deep end, on the shallow end it like an inch off the pan at most.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Village Idiot

I hope mine doesn't have those lil metal chunks

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Crazy Talk

lol ya thats not normal, you will know if you do though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode