Duty Cycle % Question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Duty Cycle % Question

If I understand correctly then the duty cycle % number indicates the amount of time that the pump is actually supplying oil to the injectors.

If this is the case then why will this % # top out at less than 100% if the tuning is calling for more volume than the HPOP is providing?

My duty cycle tops out at 85.9% when towing and ascending any grade 4% or more that is over 1/2 mile in length. Is the tuning not cheating me 14.1% of the HPOP capacity?

If the duty cycle % tops out on a sustained pull would this indicate that the HPOP is maxed out with more volume needed from the HPOP than it can supply?

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Super Hauler!

Re: Duty Cycle % Question

seems to be the case! Sounds like your hpop is at its limit

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

IPR duty cycle is basically a measure of how open the IPR valve is. (as in 85.9% Closed). I know that this is not exact, but it's a pretty good measure.
between 85 and 100% isn't really that much difference in my experience. most of the variations in oil Volume (and therefore pressure) come between 30 and 80%. Are you getting a SES/CEL light?

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

No problems and no lights being set. I drive 800 to 1000 miles a week and so I watch the scan gauge during various driving conditions. I am sure there is a good explanation but it seems that the duty cycle would ramp up to 100% rather than stop at any point less than that if the oil demand was there.

I was just curious as to why the duty cycle ceiling would be less than100%

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:59 AM
PSN Local

Most control valves (like the IPR) have a min and max range they work in. Typically it is not 0 - 100%. While the code does limit what the IPR can do it may or maynot be set as high as it can go to. Typically a manufacture will not run it out to the max, so there is some safety programmed into it. You need to remember a computer can turn things off and on faster than a valve can move so a command of 86 % may get you all the flow there is from the valve.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Tech View Post
Most control valves (like the IPR) have a min and max range they work in. Typically it is not 0 - 100%. While the code does limit what the IPR can do it may or maynot be set as high as it can go to. Typically a manufacture will not run it out to the max, so there is some safety programmed into it. You need to remember a computer can turn things off and on faster than a valve can move so a command of 86 % may get you all the flow there is from the valve.
My thinking was that as we have modded everything else possible,which has put our engines into and over the safety settings set by Ford and Int. then this looked like something of intrest to the simple minded such as myself.

My thinking was if 100% is all available then anything less is HP left on the table.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:28 AM
PSN Pretender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrellc123 View Post
No problems and no lights being set.

I was just curious as to why the duty cycle ceiling would be less than100%
Could it be that you only need 85% to maintain the propper pressure?
What makes you think you need more?
Are you loosing ICP?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Depending on your set pressure, if you are at 85 percent duty cycle it is time for a pump upgrade. 85 percent simply defines the average voltage sent to the ipr.... There isn't much difference in the magnetic field between 85 and 100 percent duty cycle. The adrenaline seems to be a great bang for the buck upgrade.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
Could it be that you only need 85% to maintain the propper pressure?
What makes you think you need more?
Are you loosing ICP?
On a hard pull the ICP will bottom out at about 2400 to 2500 psi. I will see up around 3000 psi when not WOT, so when I watch the psi drop I can only conclude the pump is maxed out.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
Depending on your set pressure, if you are at 85 percent duty cycle it is time for a pump upgrade. 85 percent simply defines the average voltage sent to the ipr.... There isn't much difference in the magnetic field between 85 and 100 percent duty cycle. The adrenaline seems to be a great bang for the buck upgrade.
See My sig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode