PSI where poppets bleed off - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
<<< Power

PSI where poppets bleed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
So popets CAN NOT handle anything over 4000 ever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
Check the pretty pic in the middle of the page.

Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: boggerr

Well, I'm obviously no injector tech, but I've been told quite a few times that there's no reason to run over 3000. Maybe 3200 max. The reason I've been given for this is the injector popets open/ are forced open at 3500ish, and as a result they're then bypassing alot of ICP instead of making all that ICP hit the intensifier piston... So it gets counter productive...

After seein your gauge there though, either you're pushin such high volume that it don't matter.

Or aftermarket injectors have better popets that hold high ICP.

Or several people that are right about other things, are full of crap on this one.

Without derailin the thread to bad, somebody please school me on that one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
After seein your gauge there though, either you're pushin such high volume that it don't matter.

Or aftermarket injectors have better popets that hold high ICP.

Or several people that are right about other things, are full of crap on this one.

Without derailin the thread to bad, somebody please school me on that one.
Stock AD's in Boggerrs truck, for now.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
<<< Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorEngineering View Post
Stock AD's in Boggerrs truck, for now.
So what's the deal with popets? Can they hold a sustained 4000?

4000 ICP would have him about 28000 nozzle pressure right?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Crazy Redneck

NO and NO.

If you feel like doing an experiment. Pull a valve cover, remove the HPOP line, and get a -05 ORB fitting and a high pressure pump. Hook it up to where you removed the HPOP line, and start pressuring it up. When you get to around ~3500 psi the poppets will start seaping by. As you go higher, the poppets will lift and piss oil out of the injector spill, the pressure will go down, they will reseat then lift again. This happens over and over. Now imagine this at 3000 RPM.

The only thing that holds the poppet down is a spring, as soon as you overcome the spring seat pressure, the poppet lifts, no if ands or buts about it. Some will have you belive that you need HIGH pressure. Belive what you want but physics say otherwise.

Mods feel free to move this if you feel we need ANOTHER thread about how the injector works.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Your wrong Marc. Feel free to come by my shop and I'll prove it. I went way past 3500.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Do you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorEngineering View Post
Your wrong Marc. Feel free to come by my shop and I'll prove it. I went way past 3500.

I can vouch for this I have seen it myself as well.....WELL past 3500

Actually to the point where your scared if the head is gonna pop
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
PSN Veteran

You guys have seen this with stock ADs I hear all the time...... Even if it holds 3500 stationary, under rpm you will have poppet bounce just like valve bounce and lowers the effective pressure that can be run. Are you sure you guys aren't running specially modified injectors that have higher spring pressures?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Do you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
You guys have seen this with stock ADs I hear all the time...... Even if it holds 3500 stationary, under rpm you will have poppet bounce just like valve bounce and lowers the effective pressure that can be run. Are you sure you guys aren't running specially modified injectors that have higher spring pressures?

NO they are mostly alll stock ad's, or stage 2's, Joey would probably know better if any b code trucks are running it I believe there are 1 or 2....

I find it funny that most everybody talks about this magic 3500 number.........does anyone know what the blowoffs are set at in a stock oil pump

I have however wondered about the rpm thing.....however has this been tested on a flow bench? running 4000 psi and seeing a change in how much fuel is delivered? or how is this know for certainty....just because at the "3500" number the truck falls on its face and pops a bit? Serious questions.

Because we have had so many running higher pressures that "butt dyno" better driveability.....
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackerjr View Post
NO they are mostly alll stock ad's, or stage 2's, Joey would probably know better if any b code trucks are running it I believe there are 1 or 2....

I find it funny that most everybody talks about this magic 3500 number.........does anyone know what the blowoffs are set at in a stock oil pump

I have however wondered about the rpm thing.....however has this been tested on a flow bench? running 4000 psi and seeing a change in how much fuel is delivered? or how is this know for certainty....just because at the "3500" number the truck falls on its face and pops a bit? Serious questions.

Because we have had so many running higher pressures that "butt dyno" better driveability.....
Yes, static pissing of oil verified. Reduced injector capacity because of reduced refil of injector also verified.
You might be able to get away with it at less than WOT because you don't need the full injector capacity, but the oil pissing across the poppet would IMO accelerate wear, although the poppet and seat is some really hard stuff.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
PSI where poppets bleed off

New thread created to avoid a total derale of the Adrenaline thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode