ZF6 wont quick shift - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ZF6 wont quick shift

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile but I've had enough. When I go for a quick start from a stop and shift into second the truck will cut off and drop to idle and throw the SES light. Once I let off the throttle for a few seconds light goes off and life goes on... until third gear its less likely but does the same thing. If i keep my foot on the gas it will just chug along at idle and not fuel up. It doesn't do it everytime really it only seems to do it when it matters IE racing, showing off, whenever someone is watching . I talked to DP tuner he says its a dirty speed sensor....... cleaned it and packed it with Dielectric grease, didn't change anything. Talked to Swamps about it and they are thinking its over boost but I don't think I ever get enough boost to throw it before the shift. I tired reseting my regulator to 20psi but I'm not totally sure I did it correctly. Maybe ITP can help with that its his fooler. So anyone else having/had this problem?

I just want the dang thing to work.

01 F250 6 speed reg. cab long bed, 6637, 4in. exhuast, Autometer EGT Boost Diff, 08 diff cover., Centrix Rotors, Hawk pads, 2in. level, 35s, South bend clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM
A-Hole

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER
Re: ZF6 wont quick shift

be careful quick shifting the zf6 its a stout tranny but i blew up two of them quick shifting
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If it blows I'm getting a Bts auto... Driving like a sally isn't an option .

I was thinking my throttle sensativity with the Dp tunes is extremely touchy, like hard to drive slow with hopping touchy. Could that have something to do with it?

01 F250 6 speed reg. cab long bed, 6637, 4in. exhuast, Autometer EGT Boost Diff, 08 diff cover., Centrix Rotors, Hawk pads, 2in. level, 35s, South bend clutch

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymachine View Post
If it blows I'm getting a Bts auto... Driving like a sally isn't an option .

I was thinking my throttle sensativity with the Dp tunes is extremely touchy, like hard to drive slow with hopping touchy. Could that have something to do with it?
Never had DP with a manaul only when I had my Auto and if the throttle is as touch with there manual tunes as it was with an auto then I think that could be an issue.

I like my throttle to feel just like stock.

Get with DP and see if they will correct this for you.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
PSN Veteran

The DP tunes are difficult with a 6psd. I would call Jody and see if he can make the throttle less touch and linear.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
The DP tunes are difficult with a 6psd. I would call Jody and see if he can make the throttle less touch and linear.
I'm going to pull the chip off the truck tonight and see if I can get it to do it with no chip on. I got the truck to do it on my "stock" setting so I'm wondering if the chip has a bad contact to the computer. Am I on the right track with this?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Dead Member

The thing I like about the ZF6 is that it give you total control over the shifting inputs, like when towing. It also keeps the heat down in the cooling system and it doesn't eat horsepower when towing and climbing grade.

Now lets get real....it's a truck transmission! Plain and simple, if you want to go fast, get a built auto. Now I'm not saying one can't row through the gears, but shifting isn't going to happen like a old school Muncie or T-10. I've always believed that one could turn one of these boxes into junk in short order if abused with abandon. I heard from a magazine editor that the trans was good for around 720 ft-lbs of torque, anything after that and your on your own.

I love my DP tunes especially when I tow. I give the motor input and the SOB moves out without a second thought. the only thing that gives me a worry is the billet aluminum hitch....

Hope you figure out your issue....sounds like a good one.

2001 F350 7.3 SD EC LB 4X4 Handshaker, Water/Meth Injection, GQSSB W/Carson Stauffer mount, Swamps 250/200 injectors, TE Duals, Fuelab/Sump, Spearco, FS 2500, Fluid Dampner, ARP head/Main studs, Sinister R/R, Detroit locker out back, etc.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 AM
HRT Performance

I was on the phone with Charles a little bit ago and mentioned this thread. His response is as follows:

PCS controller and a 4R100 and then you can have a full manual auto tranny. Done deal.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Caution! May Blow Smoke

Mine tranny will take it as fast as I can shift it with a DP. Problem is I cant shift as fast as the BTS.

Eddie

Late 01/99 F-350 XLT 7.3 EC DRW 4x4 6-speed 4:10, some common mods done. 6637 filter,Muffler Delete,Stancore GPR, Swamps Hybrid Single Shot Injectors,DP Tuner,CCV, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, Garrett GTP38R BB Turbo with1.15 Housing,Valair, Over 400HP (SOLD)

(FOR SALE)=(SOLD)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 AM
PSN Local

I had a plug-in non-adjustable chip that would act up when I released the E-brake. The engine would die and not restart until I cycled the key off first. Don't know if it could be the same thing, but make sure the chip is fully installed and tight.

E99 F350 Crew Cab DRW
02/98 Build Date
7.3, 6 spd, 2wd
Superchip, MBRP 4" SS, K&N
ISSPRO Boost and Pyro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode