EGT's Climb Fast With New Chip - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

EGT's Climb Fast With New Chip

I am New To Diesel's and I have Slowly Been Building my Truck up Over the Last Year For a Work Truck to Pull My Trailers and Run Around with. I Have Just Installed New Injectors and a DP Tuner. I also Have Gauges- Tranny Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, and EGT. The Chip from DP made a Huge Diffrance in my Truck but I am Wondering about my EGT's. On a Straight flat Road when I Open in up Full Throttle I can only Hold in Wide open for about 8 Seconds and my EGTS are at 1300. I am not sure if this is Normal for Diesels or if I am having Problems. I go From 0-55 MpH in about that 7 Seconds on my 80HP City/Economy Tune From DP and Have to let out of it because EGTS fly up to 1300 and want to keep Climbing. Just WOndering if this is Normal and I Have to be careful and Feather the Throotle and ease into it when playing on the Highway to go pass some one. I have not pulled any of my Trailers yet but not sure if I am Going to have Problems going up step Grades or I Just need to be more Careful with it. The other issue I Noticed is that my Fuel Pressure Gets up to about 62#, when I floor it it will drop to about 52#. I have Replaced the Fuel pump, Rebuilt the Fuel Bowl, Checked all lines For Leaks, Drilled out Holes in the Fuel Fittings in the Heads and Removed the Spring Assembly in the Fuel Bowl. I thought last summer when I was Monitoring it that it would not really drop in Pressure but Can Not Remember. It started droping like this Before I put the new injectors and Chip in the truck. So its Doing the Same with the Chip and With out it. Thank you in Advance

2000 F250 Crew Cab Short Box 4x4, Automatic, 3.73 Gears, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Air Heater Cut Off, Rebuilt Stock Turbo, 4' Turbo Back Exhaust, Stage 1.5 Injectors 30% More, DP-Tuner with Modified Stock, 60HP Tow, Decel, 80HP City/Economy, Drive Through, Air Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:49 AM
PSN Local

Re: EGT's Climb Fast With New Chip

I would contact your tuner and explain what's going on. When I got my first tuner I had similar issues and egt was horribly unmanageable. Now I have a different tuner and the truck runs stronger, smokes less and EGT is only an issue when I'm goofing off.

2002 F250 ccsb Lariat 4x4
6637 intake
4" MBRP
Stage 1's by Full Force Diesel
Honey badger Jr hpop and Brute 66
Bellowed up-pipes and blank pedestal
No Limit Tuning by Jonathan (Dyno Proven)
Rough country level and shocks
305/70r16 Toyo AT2 on Dc2
Autometer factory match (pyro,boost,trans)
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:15 AM
PSN Local

Delete the fuel bowl! Mod the tank and come straight pu the bottom. What year is your truck?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:19 AM
PSN Local

I just saw the year! 2000! Sounds like a badass truck btw! I can't wait till I get all my mods done!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 AM
PSN Local

Does your boost pressure look good?

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What is the mod the tank and straight pu the bottom? Will this help keep the fuel pressure up? My pressure drop was happening before I installed injectors and the chip. My Boost looks good as far as I know. When I pin it wide open throttle unloaded my boost gauge goes up to 20psi. So should I be able to hold wide open throttle longer than 8 seconds and go up past 55mph before letting off the throttle. When I took it on the high way I would pin it from 40MpH and would have to let out of it with in a few seconds because the EGTs sore up fast. I'm new to this side but have played lots with Gas engines and race a 10 second mustang. I know diesel is different but my thoughts were you should be able to hold in to full throttle longer than 8 seconds. I got my Chip from DP Tunners same as my injectors

2000 F250 Crew Cab Short Box 4x4, Automatic, 3.73 Gears, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Air Heater Cut Off, Rebuilt Stock Turbo, 4' Turbo Back Exhaust, Stage 1.5 Injectors 30% More, DP-Tuner with Modified Stock, 60HP Tow, Decel, 80HP City/Economy, Drive Through, Air Bags
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Terminator Nation

Check for boost leaks. Exhaust manifold, uppipes, intercooler boots and intake plenum boots. 20psi at WOT is low.

My truck when pulling a 10k trailer up a grade will hit only 1050* at WOT and hitting 84mph from a standing start.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I built an end to go into my air filter assembly with a air line chuck on it and regulated the air pressure down to 15psi. It leaked air really bad where the air filter tube connects to the Turbo so it was hard to hear the rest. I can't get that connection to seal up real good so I used soap and water for the other connections and did not see any leaks. The up pipes were replaced last year when I bought the truck by a local shop and for the manifolds I can't see any exhaust leaks around them while starting the truck or running the truck. The 20 pounds of boost is with just the truck I wasn't pulling a trailer when I was playing with the chip. Before the chip I would see about 12 pounds of boost empty and 20 pounds of boost while pulling my trailer. The only thing I found last night was that I have an oil leak now some where at the back of the English. I checked the plugs in the heads and they seemed good. When I started the truck originally after putting chip and injectors in I had no leaks, I let the truck run for a good hour to try and make sure most of the air was out of the system. The oil is all down the side of the transmission and made it look like the transmission lines were leaking but it is definitely engine oil. But at an idle it does not leak. I'm thinking it maybe coming from up at the Turbo but have to try and get a better look at it. I put brand new orings on the Turbo to pedestal and the pedestal to the engine when I put everything back together. So I will have to find this leak and fix it but I don't think that will fix my EGTS as my egt sensor is before the Turbo at the back of the drivers side manifold. The chip has unreal power but to me it seems like a lot of wasted power since you can't use it for long and have to let out of it, last thing I want to do is damage my engine. It's got 450,000kms on it but is running good now. Compression test I did showed 325psi on all the cylinders.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
All done now

No boost leaks, low boost (I can almost peg my 60 lb boost gauge), I would check for soot on the up pipes.

I also agree with the tuning part, I won't hit 1300ļ on a 1/4 mile run at WOT.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Bobs 7.3

Possiably your tuner that wrote the tunes was off when writing them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode