Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

not sure where to start

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  TryntM 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2002 F250 extended cab it has 263000 miles on it and remains stock so here is my question I am going to start upgrading it where should I start ultimately my goal is to help this truck last forever while getting a little more power should I start by replacing oil pump with high volume or what any ideas

#2 ·
Factory oil pump is fine.

First, do supporting mods.
Hutch and Harpoon (in tank mods)
gauges

Decide what your end goal for power is.
If you are looking for just a bit more:
6637 intake
4" exhaust
better valve body in the transmission
better torque converter
Hydra chip with tunes from a good tuner
Call it a day.

#3 ·
thanks and my ultimate goal is to keep it running forever but I pull a lot of trailers but I also live down the road from an 1/8 mile drag strip and there are a lot of morons that think they are fast so I'd like to be able to embarass them every once in awhile
also what is a hutch and harpoon

#4 ·
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

If you are thinking of embarrassing some cars at a drag strip, you are going to have to do a bit more.

1. headstuds
2. valve springs
3. Bigger turbo
4. Bigger injectors
5. Bigger HPOP (Adrenaline, T500, or HoneyBadger Jr.
6. Built transmission
7. Full regulated return fuel system that can pump a LOT of fuel
8. Big fat wallet or a credit card with a big available limit.

#5 ·
No not at the strip unfortunately don't have that much time or money just the guys in mustang gt and camaros but thanks for the advice I ordered the 6637 filter will do that Soon and am going to order the hutch mod kit from strictly diesel what kind of tuner would you recommend although I am going to this as I can afford it figured I'd like to know my options

#8 ·
I wouldn't do the hutch mod till I got injectors. TS tuners are 250$ and are prolly the best for 7.3's. Try the free fuel bowl mod. It's free and I've heard it's pretty effective. S&b or any cold air intake with high flow filter and not the oiled kind. 4" downpipe and straight as you can get exhaust. Flush the coolant slytem put a diy filter kit on it. Ccv mod is cheap and buy it at tractor supply. Change the 3 quarts of oil om the top side of the engine. Use motor craft filters with archoil fuel and oil additive. And always use ford gaskets when repairing. Buy gauges and don't spend a fortune. Torque converter and valve body in tranny and flush the cooler change fluid and filter. Then run the hell out of it for 8000 miles change filters and fluids and do it again.

#10 ·
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

this sounds like the power stroke help guy on you tube....

#9 ·
Change what oil on the top side of the motor.

There is one oil supply, I really hope you are not talking about changing HPOP oil.
The fastest way to change the HPOP oil is with the right foot. One quick blip of the throttle, all of the oil in the HPOP is run through the system and back into the pan.

Never put anything in your oil pan but oil. Felpro gaskets are perfectly fine. Do use Ford or International sensors.

There is no reason to change a trans filter, unless you rebuild the trans, it is designed to last forever, and does.

And finally, yes a TS chip is good, but a Hydra is worlds better. You get your tunes e-mailed to you, you don't have to ship your chip to the tuner and wait for him to ship it back, therefore making you run stock tunes, or worse for a week or two.

Also, TS tunes are old and outdated.

#11 ·
And yes, MBRP makes a good exhaust. The muffler in there is free flowing, if you want it a little louder, install it backwards.

#12 ·
Just my opinion,but I think it's a good idea to pull this out of top side every so often. It only a couple min and it sure can't hurt anything. Now I just do a quart. Not like that guy on you tube. He's a little extreme but I do like watching his vids. Explain this to me: what's the difference in these tuners? Will one hold more data than the other?

#13 ·
Is this ccv mod worth doing it seams pretty simple and a question about something I noticed my truck on the first start of the day will blow white smoke for about a minute or two and the truck seems to be running "rich" getting about 12 mpg I don't know enough about them to know what might be happening and if it's bad or not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.