Holy Water Batman! My first time towing w water.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Talking Holy Water Batman! My first time towing w water..

This is also kinda part of my earlier thread, but also my first impressions of towing w water.

Here is the link to my other thread.
What size line is everybody using on their water injection? - Powerstroke Nation

I can now say that I'll never tow w/o water again if I can help it. I have had the water installed on my truck for about 2 months now, and today was the first time I had a chance to pull my Toyhauler (24k gross).

I brought it home from Santa Barbara to Valencia (roughly 90 miles) to get ready for a family vacation. My EGTs were so much better than before that I found myself running at 75mph+ and 25-30psi just because. The EGTs would start to climb, then the water came on and they just dropped. Even holding OD @ 2k RPM was easier. Before the EGTs would keep creeping up, and unless I got up in the Revs or downshifted, they would keep going up.

Here's the crazy part. I got the biggest 7gal tank that CM offered. Before I left w the trailer today, I filled it to the very top. About 5-10 miles from home I noticed that my EGTs were getting hot and I had to let out of it to keep them down. I looked and the duty cycle was at 75%, but I had no flow from the flow sensor. I thought that something must had plugged the line or the line popped off. All I know was that all of the sudden there was a huge difference in the way the truck pulled.

When I got the the RV park where I dump my tanks, and while the poo was flowing, I hopped in the back of my truck and sure enough, the tank was empty. I checked all the lines, and everything was good. So that's 7gal in less than 100 miles. I got better fuel mileage than water mileage

I called CM and asked what the normal range of the 7gal tank was, and they said typically 300 miles. It turns out that I am flowing about 1200-1300cc, which is 500cc more than they usually run w my setup (and that's on one pump). All I know is that it worked.

I am going to play w the map and see if I can start the pump at 25% instead of 50% and maybe hold the max output to 80% just see if I still get the cooling, but save a bit of water. I'm also going to get a 15-20gal tank to make sure I don't run out again.

So to sum things up I have to say that so far, I'm way happy water.

99 F350 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Holy Water Batman! My first time towing w water..

Sweet Sean! Your makin me want to do it! What were before and after egt's?

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Awesome to hear! I have water on my list high at the top.... I run very hot, and water will seriously benefit me.. What size nozzles are you running and how many?

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 AM
PSN Local

Which kit are you running? CMGS Stage 3?

2002 F-350 CCLB 7.3 250,000 Miles *** 5" MKO Power Exhaust, 6637, Foil Delete, DB's HT Starter, EV2 Gauges, 6.0 IC/TC, Van Turbo, WW, Casserly Stg. 1 Singles, BTS VB, DP Tuner, HPX***
2008 F-450 CCDRW 80k ***4"DP-5"MBRP, S&B Intake, Elite EGR delete w/ wastegate, Elite Studs, DPF/DOC delete, KEM 345***
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
Awesome to hear! I have water on my list high at the top.... I run very hot, and water will seriously benefit me.. What size nozzles are you running and how many?
I have two 380cc injectors on the runners before the plenums and one 500cc right before the Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
Which kit are you running? CMGS Stage 3?
yes, but I added the solenoid and flow sensor. I couldn't tell if it was injecting or not w/o.

99 F350 CCLB
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke View Post
Sweet Sean! Your makin me want to do it! What were before and after egt's?
They were probably a couple hundred higher, but the main thing is that you can stay in it longer while pulling.

99 F350 CCLB
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Love water injection... Been saying that for years!

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Guess I am going to have to start looking into this whole water thing.

Real Diesels Have Stacks
New Tunes by Matt @ Gear Head - Auto Meter Gauges from Nate @ PTP
Air Dog II Fuel Pump
First RR Fuel System built by hand @ Murff Racing

More to come soon..........
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Village Idiot

seen a new aem pump that talked about recirculating design
any thoughts on if that is good thing or not.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode