What size line is everybody using on their water injection? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What size line is everybody using on their water injection?

Has anybody played around w increasing the size of the feed line from the tank and also to the injectors?

I bought the CM stage 3 CMGS kit w a 3 port manifold flow sensor and solenoid. I am using 2 380cc nozzles and 1 500cc nozzle. I installed the kit w the supplied 1/4" line from the tank to the pump and then to the injectors. I thought that the lines seemed kinda small for as much volume as the 250psi pump is supposed to move, so I changed the feed line from the tank to 3/8" and did the same w the pressure side up to the manifold. Then from the manifold, I used -4 JIC Teflon lines to the nozzles. It seems like the flow rate increased after going to the larger lines.
Today, I used a 3/8" pipe tap in the tank, and now have 1/2" supply to the pump. I'm curious to see if this will be an improvement over the 3/8" line.

Has anybody else done this and noticed similar results?
To me it's kinda the same idea as using a 5/8" pick up line in the fuel tank feeding an Airdog of FASS pump. By increasing the feed line, the pump can work easier because it has more supply.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Sean

99 F350 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 AM
PSN Local

Re: What size line is everybody using on their water injection?

subscribing!

2002 F-350 CCLB 7.3 250,000 Miles *** 5" MKO Power Exhaust, 6637, Foil Delete, DB's HT Starter, EV2 Gauges, 6.0 IC/TC, Van Turbo, WW, Casserly Stg. 1 Singles, BTS VB, DP Tuner, HPX***
2008 F-450 CCDRW 80k ***4"DP-5"MBRP, S&B Intake, Elite EGR delete w/ wastegate, Elite Studs, DPF/DOC delete, KEM 345***
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Does the silence mean that nobody has messed around w the water lines, or that nobody knows?

Someboady has to have some input.

99 F350 CCLB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Starting Over

When I installed my dual pumps I scrapped that 1/4 from the beginning and used 1/2 to the tank so I have nothing to base anything on.I was with your thoughts visually.I know it couldn't hurt that is for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Crazy Redneck

Bigger suction line reduces head loss to the pump, makes it easyer for the pump.

On the discharge side, I wouldn't go much bigger as this can lead to a delay in injection,
but if you are injecting enough water, that pumping line loss, you are dropping pressure brfore the nozzle.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
When I installed my dual pumps I scrapped that 1/4 from the beginning and used 1/2 to the tank so I have nothing to base anything on.I was with your thoughts visually.I know it couldn't hurt that is for sure.
it seems to help. Are you running both pumps off of the 1/2" supply line?
I'm thinking about using another pump w the system also. I was going to run another 1/2" line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCOOL View Post
Bigger suction line reduces head loss to the pump, makes it easyer for the pump.

On the discharge side, I wouldn't go much bigger as this can lead to a delay in injection,
but if you are injecting enough water, that pumping line loss, you are dropping pressure brfore the nozzle.
I wasn't sure how much the discharge line at 3/8" would affect the pressure at the nozzles. I don't see a reason to go bigger. The ID of the 3/8" line is actually closer to 1/4" than 3/8". I didn't change the size of the lines from the manifold to the nozzles. I just used -4 (1/4") SS Teflon lines.

I just figured that if the supply was bigger, than the pump would be more efficeint and possible flow a bit more. What I need to do is install a pressure gauge at the manifold and see if there is a pressure drop.

The guys (David) at CM said the the pump normally ships w two 750cc nozzles. I opted for two 380cc nozzles and one 500cc nozzle. I was concerned about the atomization w just two big nozzles. I also start the duty cycle at 50% instead of the default 25%. The 380cc nozzles are in each runner of the Y before the plenums, and the 500cc nozzle is just before the Y.

99 F350 CCLB
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Starting Over

Each pump had its own 1/2 supply.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
Each pump had its own 1/2 supply.
Now that's what I'm talking about! That should be enough to supply over 200 gpm. The big AirDog doesn't use that big of a straw.

99 F350 CCLB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode