First mods wacky problems lots of black smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

First mods wacky problems lots of black smoke

I have a 97f350 4x4 manual. Started off with 3in dp muffler deleate and previous tuner was (excel)? Set at 100hp. When I bought the truck the guy lost the controller so it was permentally in that pos. truck was a little faster and tad more smoker than normal. Recieveed hydra chip in mail. Installed. Not much increase in power but more boost and tiny more smoke. Short light burst only. Installed 180cc injectors with stock nozzles. In any tune daily tow or performance heavy continues black smoke very thick and wouldn't lighten up. Took it easy as I could but black it would blow and blow. Took hydra chip out. Still smoked like crazy. Put pcm from my other 97 in. Truck went to factory sluggish. My pcm in other truck gave that one some get up and go and little burst of smoke. Installed chip in my truck with the "new pcm" still smokes pretty good but goes away at 2200 rpm.
1: the hydra is a 4 page chip... Overrides any other chips... Cannot be stacked... Well I call bs.
2: why is my truck still smoke so bad. Put her in daily driver mode and unless I'm hard on it it still will black out an intersection at low rpm.
3: I'm was getting auto trans trouble codes on old pcm with chip. Pcm was mle1 hex was vd..._02 tunes were set to vd.._02. Have not scanned yet with new pcm and chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 AM
whistle tits

Re: First mods wacky problems lots of black smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97f3504x View Post
I have a 97f350 4x4 manual. Started off with 3in dp muffler deleate and previous tuner was (excel)? Set at 100hp. When I bought the truck the guy lost the controller so it was permentally in that pos. truck was a little faster and tad more smoker than normal. Recieveed hydra chip in mail. Installed. Not much increase in power but more boost and tiny more smoke. Short light burst only. Installed 180cc injectors with stock nozzles. In any tune daily tow or performance heavy continues black smoke very thick and wouldn't lighten up. Took it easy as I could but black it would blow and blow. Took hydra chip out. Still smoked like crazy. Put pcm from my other 97 in. Truck went to factory sluggish. My pcm in other truck gave that one some get up and go and little burst of smoke. Installed chip in my truck with the "new pcm" still smokes pretty good but goes away at 2200 rpm.
1: the hydra is a 4 page chip... Overrides any other chips... Cannot be stacked... Well I call bs.
2: why is my truck still smoke so bad. Put her in daily driver mode and unless I'm hard on it it still will black out an intersection at low rpm.
3: I'm was getting auto trans trouble codes on old pcm with chip. Pcm was mle1 hex was vd..._02 tunes were set to vd.._02. Have not scanned yet with new pcm and chip.
Ill bet you have a boost leak, or torn map sensor hose.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
Ill bet you have a boost leak, or torn map sensor hose.
Hmm hose is new and connected. Added my riffraff 6637 filter today! My icp will peak at 3000 psi when I tap the pedal real quick. Lay on it for a second and she hit 47% duty cycle at 2200 psi. If it was low hpop shouldn't it be sluggish or back off in performance at wot?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:35 AM
whistle tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97f3504x View Post
Hmm hose is new and connected. Added my riffraff 6637 filter today! My icp will peak at 3000 psi when I tap the pedal real quick. Lay on it for a second and she hit 47% duty cycle at 2200 psi. If it was low hpop shouldn't it be sluggish or back off in performance at wot?
I think you just found your problem, one of them anyways. If your pump only holds 2,200 psi at w.o.t. you have a problem. Weak hpop, injector o rings, worn injectors, etc...

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New 180cc injectors from full force. Shouldn't it act like crap at wot? Also I noticed on first start up it doesn't smoke bad
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Terminator Nation

Are the tunes for your new injectors?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
Are the tunes for your new injectors?
Yes they're are custom for my truck. Php tunes on 25 hp produces the smallest amount of smoke but still can blackout for a sec or two
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 PM
PSN Local

2200 is too low. Most of these tunes are setup and calling for 3000 psi @ wot. Lower ICP= lower injection pressure=poor atomization= black smoke and poor performance. The J3 port on a Ford pcm has a bus to the processor so the processor uses the RAM on the chip rather than the factory PROM This I'd also why the Hydra has a factory non changeable program on the chip.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

Hydra has a bypass, doesnt mean its 'factory non changeable' it just means it runs whatever is on the PCM, in my case that is a smoky edge tune.

who's tunes is the OP using?
its going to smoke until the turbo catches up

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 AM
PSN Local

That is true it's a bypass so whatever is flashed. I was incorrect thanks.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode