turbo could it be made to work? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

turbo could it be made to work?

ok i have seen alot of threads lately on doin turbo swaps using turbo's off other engines, and well i have a early 99 with the original turbo. i was wandering if someone has a list of turbo's that could be transformed to fit the 7.3. im looking for something that will keep the engine reliable but will give me more power and cooler egt's. but also i have access to a t70/t67 turbo and was wandering if this turbo would be better than the stock turbo. now i know this stuff will not bolt up directly so mounts will have to be done but i am just curious as to what could be used to push more power and run cooler.

Early 99- 3.5" shackle lift, single stack, beans tunes, nvk3 pcm, 35's, billet tc, shift kit, tymer intake, some stereo stuff, 05 head lights, 05 chrome edition grill, HID's, 2 hella 500's(SOLD)

2008 f250 king ranch - 5 inch exhaust,h&s tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: turbo could it be made to work?

H2E is one. But you'd be better off just buying the whole kit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Hauler!

i vote for the gtp38r

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandproud View Post
ok i have seen alot of threads lately on doin turbo swaps using turbo's off other engines, and well i have a early 99 with the original turbo. i was wandering if someone has a list of turbo's that could be transformed to fit the 7.3. im looking for something that will keep the engine reliable but will give me more power and cooler egt's. but also i have access to a t70/t67 turbo and was wandering if this turbo would be better than the stock turbo. now i know this stuff will not bolt up directly so mounts will have to be done but i am just curious as to what could be used to push more power and run cooler.
You need to look at the airflow characteristics of the turbo and compare it to the stock one. First answer one question....why do you want a different turbo? Then the answers will become more clear.

My answer was to control backpressure, stock boost pressure was adequate for stock injectors BUT the backpressure was comsuming more hp than it was creating. With the large turbo I held the same boost pressure and reduced the backpressure by half. This means that it was requiring half the power to drive the turbine with the same results.

If you post more info on the turbo like: inducer/exducer of the compressor wheel and housing A/R as well as the turbine footprint and exducer and turbine A/R you will get more opinions on if it will work or not.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandproud View Post
You have all the turbo you need for those little AB injectors. Not to mention to run a 38r you would have to swap all the crap from a late 99.

A D-66 bolts right in and would be an upgrade from stock.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
You have all the turbo you need for those little AB injectors. Not to mention to run a 38r you would have to swap all the crap from a late 99.

A D-66 bolts right in and would be an upgrade from stock.
the d66 is the only drop in for an early 99
that is the reason the h2e is a good upgrade..you have to swap out that for any year...

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode