Lots of issues to fix need some advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Lots of issues to fix need some advice

01 F250 7.3 4x4 4door swb I've just had my new hd upgrade trans installed from Transaxles. So far so good. It's been 2 weeks and I've towed my rv @ 20 miles at 11000 lbs. now I'm having to replace my turbo pedestal and going with non evb. While the turbo is off I want to upgrade with a billet turbine. Is this a good upgrade!? And if I do upgrade will it work with the pedestal? Also fan clutch Is locked and oil cooler needs gaskets. My mechanic said I have an injector sticking causing white smoke when cold start. He thinks I have oil loss with injectors. If I'm going to replace all this stuff what's the best route to make this monster come alive? I'm not talking racing just more power for pulling and making it a better running truck. I've had it for a lil over a year and so far I'm not getting satisfaction. Hopefully these upgrades will help and I need all the advice I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:25 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Lots of issues to fix need some advice

Step 1 - Fix the problems.

Step 2 - mod it.

Don't expect aftermarket stuff to fix inherent mechanical problems. You'll just get angry when they don't work.

Talk to injector shop about what best fits your needs, then choose.

for what its worth, pay a shop to do oil cooler. I don't think there is a messier job on the 7.3L.

Turbo seals are easy. Deal with fan clutch, the only way I ever killed a 7.3 was by getting it hot.

Turbine won't do a lot, might help with surge, and sounds cool if you're wanting cool points. If you want to upgrade the turbo, upgrade it, don't jack around with wheels and expect magic.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the reply. It's really hard to trust mechanics on these things. My problem with the oil cooler is I'm getting oil into my coolant. My mechanic where I live says it's the oil cooler and fix the seals. It's not leaking oil out just into the reservoir. I'm out of town and a friend of mine here says it will have to be replaced. Hell I don't know!! I've read threads on it and I've learned a lot on here but you sure can get confused sometimes. But you're exactly right about getting all the issues fixed. That's is my plan. I really like this truck it's a badass lookin truck. It's lifted enough that the 315/75/16 tires fill in the fenders but it acts like it don't want to turn them over. The guy before me had 3stage Diablo tuner/chip whatever it is with cold air intake 4" down pipe. It's got Thd gauges to. I guess you do that stuff and take the tuner off its sick!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:41 PM
whistle tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookieone View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's really hard to trust mechanics on these things. My problem with the oil cooler is I'm getting oil into my coolant. My mechanic where I live says it's the oil cooler and fix the seals. It's not leaking oil out just into the reservoir. I'm out of town and a friend of mine here says it will have to be replaced. Hell I don't know!! I've read threads on it and I've learned a lot on here but you sure can get confused sometimes. But you're exactly right about getting all the issues fixed. That's is my plan. I really like this truck it's a badass lookin truck. It's lifted enough that the 315/75/16 tires fill in the fenders but it acts like it don't want to turn them over. The guy before me had 3stage Diablo tuner/chip whatever it is with cold air intake 4" down pipe. It's got Thd gauges to. I guess you do that stuff and take the tuner off its sick!
Just needs the 4 o ring, and two block gaskets. From FORD

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Also I have white smoke on cold starts. If I plug the heater in it don't do it. The colder it is the worse it is. Injectors seals or glow plugs?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 PM
whistle tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookieone View Post
Also I have white smoke on cold starts. If I plug the heater in it don't do it. The colder it is the worse it is. Injectors seals or glow plugs?
Glow plug system would be the first thing to check. Some white smoke is normal in a cold start though

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 AM
PSN Newb

The oil cooler is just a lump of metal, but can fail. the only sure-fire way to tell is to remove, clean (easier said than done, try a parts washer) and then inspect/pressure test.

99% of the time, just replacing the O-rings (FORD ONLY) and cleaning everything really well solves the problem.

Re; white smoke on cold starts - this can be from a tune, or weak injector, or sometimes even lack of HPOP output. A buzz test/contribution test will tell you a LOT. I like to start with the easy/cheap, so I would say test all your GP's and relay first. If GP system is greenlight, then go for buzz/cont test.

Let us know what you find, there is also an additive called ArchOil that is pretty damn amazing on injectors, a fresh oil change and a bottle of that stuff made a huge difference on my 7.3, and their fuel additive is well worth the money. Modern diesel sucks, and needs some love to make it right.

Re: mechanics - yes, hard to trust, but if they will show you whats wrong, give a realistic explanation, and aren't trying to sell you a bucket of prop-wash, they might be OK. Diesel engines are specialized knowledge, and PSD engines are further so. Find a shop that works on them. Stay the hell out of your local napa/gas station service center. I do about 80% of my own engine work on this truck, its not hard, you just have to remember 3 rules about diesels:

Fluids
Fuel
Filters

Keep em clean and it'll run forever. Neglect it and it's fubar.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Sorry for the delay. I was raised on a tobacco farm and we've had older diesel tractors all my life. I still have a "72 Case 470. Damn good running tractor. As far as I know only maintenance on the engine. Thanks for info. I'll try the archoil additive and I was going with gasket kit from advance but not now. I've read nearly every thread on here about it and that use Ford gasket more than once. I don't know about pressure test on oil cooler but I'll see if this guy knows. If he don't I'll take it to someone that does. I'm trying to learn all I can and this site is teaching me a lot thanks to to all yall.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

For some reason I can't post a new thread so I'll put this here. A friend of mine has an 03 250 4dr lwb. No mods straight up stock. Almost 200,000 miles and almost no problems. She's owned since new. Now she's wanting to sale it and get a new one. Priced it to me for @6,000. Truck looks good. Not ragged out no rust interior is good shape. I know the problems these trucks give by my friends owning them. I've heard it cost @ 7,000$ to do all upgrades. Is this true and should I just leave this truck alone? Or what about a cummins12valve swap out? What yall think? Btw it's 4wd also
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 PM
PSN Local

When people say "white smoke" are they referring to the steam that most vehicles emit when it's 0 degrees? My 2001 has steam when it's really cold but once warmed up nothing. Seems gas engines produce steam a lot longer when it's very cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode