white smoke mostly at idle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

white smoke mostly at idle

Enjoyed this site for a long time now, I'm a lurker and have always just read to get my answers but I'm at a loss on what to do next with my truck.

I installed these DIY Hybrids about 4 months ago and didn't see any significant white smoke until recently. It is getting quite bad to the point of embarrasing to drive as I look like I'm mosquito control or something. It is worst when the truck is up to temp and most when I first get on the throttle or just letting off after hard accellaration. I just last week before a diesel drag racing weekend in my area pulled all 8 injectors and replaced the orings since I didn't do that when I bought them used from another Nation member. I also finally got around to installing my reg return to see if that would fix it. Here is list of things I've checked on;

- Replaced Injector orings
- Installed Reg Return
- Replaced CPS with black one
- checked blow-by by plugging off my CCV line and watching oil fill spout (Saw just a steady misty smoke coming out, not enough to blow the lid off)
- Checked Turbo shaft play and only had side to side (no contact with sides)
- I have AutoEngenuity and did buzz test (passed)
- CC test show erratic flow imbalance (1,6,8) one time (4,6,8) another

Sorry for the long post, but please offer up some ideas as I may have forgot some items that I've checked already as well.

Also, truck seems to be running fine to me. I ran 9.25 @73mph in the 1/8mile with an aprox weight of 8900lbs at least.

Thanks,
DoubleL

1999.5 CC/LB 7.3L F350--> 8"lift, 38"tires, offroad lights to see the deer and train horn to scare em' away. 6637 intake, Garrett 38r, turboMaster Wastegate Controller, ITP Reg Return, 4" straightpipe, DP-tuner with single shot tuning 80-140agrsv, Rosewood 238cc/80% Hybrids, Fuel tank mods, CCV reroute, more just can't think of em' all right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Re: white smoke mostly at idle

How many miles on these injectors? They might be leaking.
Anything else you changed with the injectors like proper tuning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ya, that is my concern as mileage is hard to say as they were purchased used.

How do you diagnose if it is injectors leaking? ie, carbon buildup on tips or higher up? or smell of exhaust which I'm not sure I'm very good at?

I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere and of course no diesel shops even remotely close. I have to almost always figure it out on my own and another thing of concern is that I've never heard other single shot trucks idling but this thing of mine sounds like I would guess the lope tune sounds like in every one of my settings.

Thanks,
DoubleL

1999.5 CC/LB 7.3L F350--> 8"lift, 38"tires, offroad lights to see the deer and train horn to scare em' away. 6637 intake, Garrett 38r, turboMaster Wastegate Controller, ITP Reg Return, 4" straightpipe, DP-tuner with single shot tuning 80-140agrsv, Rosewood 238cc/80% Hybrids, Fuel tank mods, CCV reroute, more just can't think of em' all right now.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Post up a sound clip if you can in the stock setting.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 PM
ARMY bound

Sounds like they are leaking to me as well.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Talking Re: white smoke mostly at idle

The video/sound clip is uploading now but in the meantime please checkout this video of my drag race last weekend which really shows my smoke white/or blue during spoolup at the line. BTW i won the Ironman trophy for the diesel class, first Ironman Diesel event ever for Montana.

Here is the link;

also do a search on youtube for lslbear72 and you'll find the videos of my blowby and sound that should be uploaded very soon.

Thanks for any and all help. Also, I'm trying to get a reading on my fuel pressure while under load but it is hard for me to see my gauge with the hood up while hot rodding it on gravel (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE NON_PROFESSIONAL)

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
PSN Veteran

These were the 230's I sold you?

Wish I could help, but I have no idea.

03 E-350 7.3, forged rods, exhaust ported heads, comp 910's, 38R/47, 4.10LS, stealth twin pumps, 300cc hybrids from Swamps, h-11's, racerx trans and TC, Swamps tunes, water...
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yep these are the ones from you which I thank you for. The truck makes really fun power, but the idle had always been sort of a lope sound to me and my unprofessional ear. Now just really concerned about this white smoke that appears to be getting worse, much worse.

Also, wanted to say that I've checked my fuel filter for oil (NONE). and have been monitoring my coolant level which seems to be holding nice a stable. Trying to monitor the oil, but haven't decided if it is using more than it used to yet. Not using much IMO. I maybe add a quart between 5k oil changes, but haven't been 5k with this smoke issue.

LL

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:01 AM

I can assure you as the temps dropping the white smoke will be evident on start up and maybe idle until the engine is fully warmed up. It might still smoke at idle depending on the tuning for altitude and temps for your area. Contact your tuner and have them adjust it for you. I have to adjust accordingly for Colorado as well.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Blowby, thanks for your posting. I don't have hardly any smoke at startup, just a little puff of blackish/gray, then after running it up to temp (more than 10 minutes driving to highway) I then start to see these puffs more obvious and then really bad when idling around town from stoplight to stoplight (embarrassingly bad) The temps are around 90F right now (id did same thing when temps were around 65F) and we're at 2800ft, as to which I have no idea what the tuner adjusted for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode