Thoughts on 175/146 injectors on a stock truck? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Kris

Thoughts on 175/146 injectors on a stock truck?

So it's about time I get a new set of injectors in my truck. My truck has about 250k on it, and my injectors are in need of replacement. I never really like to replace things with stock parts.. if you're going to replace something, why not upgrade?

Right now i'm looking at Swamp Diesels 175/146 Single Shots.. I have Googled and searched for a bit and it seems that everyone running them is perfectly happy with them. However I noticed a lot of people are running upgraded turbo's or HPOP's.

175/146 Single Shot Injectors, Tow (Mild Street) - Swamps Diesel Performance

Swamps website states that the injectors work well with stock fuel, hpop and turbos. But in my searching a lot of people have talked about de-tuning injectors. (Not specifically these ones.) With these injectors you must get the custom tune to go with them- I assume that I won't be needing anything fancy to go with these..

I'll be using the truck for exactly what the site states on the injectors, towing and street use. Nothing crazy- I usually just tow a car trailer and daily drive my truck. I would love to have some more power though.

I would prefer to upgrade my injectors now, rather than buy some lesser ones and have to buy another set in the future. The warranty on these alone seems better than most. Any specific upgrades I should do immediately following the injectors? Another set of injectors that may be better for my application?

I'm just looking for some feedback. It's a big purchase and I'd rather make the right one and not have to look at injectors again. Once I do them I'd rather be able to move on to other upgrades. (HPOP, Turbo, Ect..)

Right now my truck is stock. The air filter is the only upgrade, and at the time of the injector upgrade I will be adding gauges and a 4" exhaust.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

2000 F-350 4x4, 7.3L/6 Speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM
PSN Local

Re: Thoughts on 175/146 injectors on a stock truck?

The 146 designates stock nozzle. You will be going from split shot injectors to single shots so yes you will need a tune to run effeciently. These injectors have more capacity as the stock injectors are 150cc splits those are 175cc. If your stock hpop is still strong you will not likely need to upgrade as the splits actually need more oil than singles. Do you know what your ICP/IPR duty cycle is currently with the stock sticks? If you have the money I would buy something a little bigger with larger than stock nozzles. You can have many programs with a multi position chip where you can turn up or down the power essentially detuning the injectors thru the calibrations.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

You will need custom tunes and turbo mods or a 38r. That combo can get you 400HP.
You may or may not have problems getting it smoged so ....

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 AM
Guilty on all counts

Can you not get a tune to pass smog?

I'm so glad we don't have smog testing in Florida.

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 AM
PSN Local

In Washington smog tests are only for the heavily populated areas. Outside the heavily populated Puget sound there is no testing.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 AM
PSN Local

Subbed for knowledge because I'm looking at these too. Missouri has no emmisions testing or exhaust restrictions for 3/4 trucks. Hell I don't even have to have a rear plate

"They make the dollar, I make the dime. That's why I poop on company time"
L99 F-250 superduty SC LB 4x4
7.3l powerstroke diesel
Swamp's 175/146 singles
Zf-6 speed gear grinder
Cooper ATP all terrains

1995 Jeep grand Cherokee swapped 5 spd
1984 Yamaha 225dx three wheeler
1983 Yamaha xt200
1979 Kawasaki KZ-650
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 AM
m j
PSN Veteran

I would PM Golfer and ask him for a recommendation. or if you are a phone call guy then call Swamps and ask (I prefer the written word over trying to recall info from a phone call).
I seem to recall a thread touting the 200/30 as a stick he liked

personally the smallest I would go to is a 238/100

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedretard View Post
The 146 designates stock nozzle. You will be going from split shot injectors to single shots so yes you will need a tune to run effeciently. These injectors have more capacity as the stock injectors are 150cc splits those are 175cc.

If your stock hpop is still strong you will not likely need to upgrade as the splits actually need more oil than singles. Do you know what your ICP/IPR duty cycle is currently with the stock sticks? If you have the money I would buy something a little bigger with larger than stock nozzles. You can have many programs with a multi position chip where you can turn up or down the power essentially detuning the injectors thru the calibrations.
I can't remember the exact HPOP numbers off the top of my head but I followed Swamp's procedure for testing it. According to their procedure and the readings on my scan tool, it's plenty healthy.

Being 175's, wouldn't they technically be a larger injector? Do you have a recommendation for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
You will need custom tunes and turbo mods or a 38r. That combo can get you 400HP.
You may or may not have problems getting it smoged so ....
I see a 38R in my future, but one mod at a time. I'm curious if it will be a healthy improvement to my truck.

Smog isn't an issue in my area, but it would seem if it can't pass smog it's because it's not running efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j View Post
I would PM Golfer and ask him for a recommendation. or if you are a phone call guy then call Swamps and ask (I prefer the written word over trying to recall info from a phone call).
I seem to recall a thread touting the 200/30 as a stick he liked

personally the smallest I would go to is a 238/100
My biggest issue is that i'm so new to the topic of injectors that I honestly don't know what's what as far as the different injectors go. It took me awhile to come up with the 175/146's lol.

Still looking for feedback, thanks for the replies!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 AM
PSN Local

Don't settle on an a injector until you shop around. Talk to PIS, Swamps, Full Force, and Rosewood and see what they offer. They all offer different sized injectors, different prices, and different warranties. I have not dealt with either but From what I have read around the forums I would go PIS. They all seem to be very competent injector builders.

54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Kris

I'm definitely not trying to "settle." I prefer feedback from other users, not that talking to the merchants is a bad idea, but they all have a sale to make.

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck. Lol.

I would love to hear from some people who are running upgraded injectors!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode