Engine/injectors get noisier after running hard? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

Engine/injectors get noisier after running hard?

Is this a result of sheared oil? Yes, I have Termies. I have noticed that after making long hard runs on the open road the injector noise is much more pronounced/sharper/clankier. Is this because the oil is being recycled over and over through the pumps? Is there a way to offset this? Maybe by returning the oil to the pan as I've read before? Would this require more flow from the low pressure pump? Would the Melling (sp?) upgrade be enough?

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Re: Engine/injectors get noisier after running hard?

What type of oil are you running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
What type of oil are you running?
Only the best. Motorcraft from Walmart. Hey, as long as I have to change it every 3K, what's the point in using something more expensive? It works just as good as Rotella or Delo for a lot less money.

I fixed my major oil leak, and when I find the small one, I am switching to the Valvoline you are using.

Quote:
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 AM
Village Idiot

Do you have a 203 t stat?
At one time joey said it cause more sheer w temies,,,
Also sheffer's 7000 is suppossed to be great for big oil systems.

That is of course if sheer is even the problem.
Is your truck tuned for big oil?

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

I'm not sure on the t-stat, I'll look into that. As for tuning, the tuner is aware of the pumps and tunes for them regularly.

Quote:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
I'm not sure on the t-stat, I'll look into that. As for tuning, the tuner is aware of the pumps and tunes for them regularly.
Wow! Tuning regularly. I'm jealous. May we ask who the tuner is?

A good way to check what the oil is doing would be to check the EOT. If you high temps, there is a really good chance that you are shearing your oil.

99 F350 CCLB
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Village Idiot

the only way of getting the 203 tstat that I know of is by getting one off dieselsite. and that one is suppose to give better millage etc....
I have only seen a few posts where it caused more shearing but that was on multipump hpop setups.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 AM
HEARING IMPAIRED

Try that Mobile Delvac Super 1300. You can get it at wally world too. Most people who run it say it doesnt shear as easy. Alot of the same people say that it makes the truck run smoother and quieter.

I personally didnt notice any sound difference but Im deaf. It seemed to smooth it up some though.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

'75 F-100 Custom. Restoration/Project Build

Daniel

I have enough stickers to make 400HP
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 AM
PSN Veteran

I think about it this way:
When you are at WOT you are using fresh oil and not dumping a bunch back into the reservoir. Maybe watch your ICP and see if it isn't "hanging" because of your IPR being "sticky" after being held closed so long at WOT.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
I think about it this way:
When you are at WOT you are using fresh oil and not dumping a bunch back into the reservoir. Maybe watch your ICP and see if it isn't "hanging" because of your IPR being "sticky" after being held closed so long at WOT.
So conversely when I let off after a long WOT, it's dumping freshly sheared oil right back into the reservoir?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode