Pistons - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Pistons

? for you guys that are running highpo engines w/ rods, and girdles. I'm looking into rods, and girdle or bedplate-(from swamps because it's sexy). But not sure what to do about pistons. Are u guys using the stockers and having them coded? Leaving the stockers plan jane and running those or going w/ mahles or something else?
Thank You much for the help!

09 6.7 cummins w/ a couple things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:28 AM
you want some of this?

Re: Pistons

Stockers here uncoated, not decompressed any. I know somw are coating them, and a few are machined to drop compression a bit. BTW, stockers ARE mahles. Got ford, and mahle stamped right on em.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

i guess that i didn't look that hard at the stockers the three times that i had them out (i'm a dubazz). ya i forgot about lowering the compression. thanks for adding that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
HRT Performance

Bowl work, valve reliefs, mild cut off the top to bring the piston to head clearances into my spec:

Bowl work, valve reliefs, coated.

Both bowls of those two pistons are fairly mild, valve relief depth depends alot on the cam, valve springs, how the heads are set up, and intended RPMs.

Remember it is a package that must work well when everything is put together. And the package you build must fit the goals that you have set forth for it.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to JuststrokeIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodTractor View Post
Bowl work, valve reliefs, mild cut off the top to bring the piston to head clearances into my spec:

Bowl work, valve reliefs, coated.

Both bowls of those two pistons are fairly mild, valve relief depth depends alot on the cam, valve springs, how the heads are set up, and intended RPMs.

Remember it is a package that must work well when everything is put together. And the package you build must fit the goals that you have set forth for it.
Whats the purpose in cutting the valve reliefs into the piston? Ive seen it done quite a bit but never understood what the purpose for it was.

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM
HRT Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuststrokeIT View Post
Whats the purpose in cutting the valve reliefs into the piston? Ive seen it done quite a bit but never understood what the purpose for it was.
The purpose is to keep the valves from hitting the tops of the pistons. Depending on intended RPM, valve springs, piston to head clearance, valve recession, camshaft, etc... the depth of the required valve relief can change.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

ya check out the pics of my pistons. next motor will have stiffer springs and valve reliefs and another cam like i had.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to JuststrokeIT

alright thanks that was what I was wondering

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Mahles here, ceramic on the top after some bowl work to bring it to 15:1, and teflon coated skirts. I also put some Totalseal (gapless) rings in .

Stock
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks guys. some nice looking pieces!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode