Truck back and runnin good - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Truck back and runnin good

Well after three days of steady working on the thing I think I have everything dialed in and working right now. If it wasn't for the boots holding me up, I would have been done sooner but oh well. The new plenums/boots/intake y setup is awesome.

These are the boots I'm talking about. They are a lot thicker then stock, and longer then my old dieselsite boots were, by about 1/2". What you see right now is what my setup looks like after its first 50+ psi run.... in the tow tune.

Don't mind the really long pushloc. The fittings on the regulator are being replaced so that I can take the fittings off instead of cutting the Pushloc to get it off. That was all Benz had until next Monday. I said screw that, I wanna drive the truck this weekend. I will also be getting a 45 fitting for the bottom instead of a 90 so it doesn't want to kink the hose.

I still have the strap on there for now. My buddy is going to weld in a section of tube so that I have just a V Band at the compressor discharge and a 9" long boot on the intercooler.

I also coated my up-pipes, intake plenums and intake tubing to make then look better and hopefully survive longer lol.

The bolt you see in the hot side i/c tube is where my boost gauge is going to read from since I now use my AIH plug has a bracket to hold my regulator up. Also the line you see coming out of the intake Y w/ a bolt in it is where the map line goes. The one I took off the truck had a gap and a T fitting in it for water injection. I wanted a solid line so that is being replaced today. Once I have the i/c tubes finished aka welded into one piece I willl coat them too... there was a TON of oil still left all over that motor from the HPOP line breaking. Got a ton of it out, but there is still some residue left around.

One thing I noticed because this might have been the start of my problems. Whenever you are replacing intake plenums stick them on there and get two bolts in. Then push the plenum as far away from the valley as you can. I did mine dead nuts center on the original build, and on this one too and you can see that the plenums are not wide enough apart for the Hypermax intake Y. Might be the same way on the stock y? :dunno: This is probably what caused my problem to begin with which I tried to fix by clamping down tighter. Now they are only off a smidgen but I have much thicker, longer boots, reinforced plenums and 90 ft lbs of clamps x 4 on that thing now.

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Banning Smut

Re: Truck back and runnin good

Good job D-bag!

Feel any different on the street?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Between the spragless converter and no more crushed intake plenums there is less smoke. Love driving the tow tune. shifts are high and doesn't go into OD until 65 mph. Really good for some vortec chevy around midnight last night

BTW I drove it for half an hour last night. It was between 65 and 70 and the highest trans temp I saw was 145. I saw temps closer to 165-175 when the temperature was around 85-90 in July.

Elkton, Maryland

2005 F450 - Tow Bitch

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Between the spragless converter and no more crushed intake plenums there is less smoke. Love driving the tow tune. shifts are high and doesn't go into OD until 65 mph. Really good for some vortec chevy around midnight last night
That tune has to be similar to mine. When it hits OD...."bye now".

BTW. The water helps a good bit on mine with the smoke even in the race file.

|
|
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Really good for some vortec chevy around midnight last night
Yep.... I had to put one on one of those on the highway the other day that kept racking his pipes at me.... I let him get a 3 car jump on me rolling at 70 and then I proceded to pass him like he was sitting still.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Yet a month or so ago I got told in so many words that I was retarded for thinking people had a hard time keeping those boots from blowing out when I suggested that the way the CFM intake had separated the two pieces would make it tend to do the same.

Fwiw.... I'm still running the OEM boots that have been on the engine since it left the factory in 1999.

Tying the manifold to the block is invaluable. The only way the boot can fail then is to rupture, as the manifold CANNOT lift or cant and come out of the boots if it's fixed in place.

But I'm crazy. Btw, blocks don't break either.

(Climbs off soapbox)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Charles anything you can say that I might want to look at with this setup? I already pointed out the fittings on the regulator but that shouldn't be a big deal.

I have the L bracket on the back of the intake Y as well.

Matt... racking his pipes LMAO... I didn't get it at first.

Garrett - my water pump stopped working. I found out why. One of the wires that turns it on (in a sealed plastic box) must have gotten wet and rusted off. I tried soldering it back in but to no avail. It does not work

I'm replacing my BD X monitor box so I don't know what the egts are yet... but I'm sure they're up there like they used to be.

Elkton, Maryland

2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Banning Smut

My boots at the Y are solid. Shuperior fabrication of the Y by the wizard and boots from Deputydog plus spring clamps are holding there.

I can tell I'm gonna have a problem at the IC boot though....

Think I'll add a second clamp and some hairspray for now.

|
|
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Dirty South Strokers

Looks good Marty

TN BB, 238cc's, 910's, Bellowed Up-pipes, Non-EBPV Pedistal, built tranny, Traction Bars, 4.56's, 6.0 IC, Water/Meth,Jody's Tunes
Taylor
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
My boots at the Y are solid. Shuperior fabrication of the Y by the wizard and boots from Deputydog plus spring clamps are holding there.

I can tell I'm gonna have a problem at the IC boot though....

Think I'll add a second clamp and some hairspray for now.
SiliconHoses.com was the best choice I ever made.

80 some bucks shipped for a meter or 3.3' of blue or black hose.... cut it with an exacto knife and they look tits and are much more substantial then factory.

Elkton, Maryland

2005 F450 - Tow Bitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode