Boost Help Please - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Addict

Boost Help Please

So I installed my wicked wheel a few weeks ago and never put the actuator back on, finally got a chance to today. I stuck the line going into the wastegate on one of the intercooler tube studs to block it off, hoping to build more pressure like a bunch of other people have. I still only hit 24 pounds though Anyone know what might be going on? any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Boost Help Please

Did you check for boost leaks??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nally7.3Powerstroke View Post
So I installed my wicked wheel a few weeks ago and never put the actuator back on, finally got a chance to today. I stuck the line going into the wastegate on one of the intercooler tube studs to block it off, hoping to build more pressure like a bunch of other people have. I still only hit 24 pounds though Anyone know what might be going on? any help would be great.
Considering that a "wicked wheel" will move less air, all else constant, expecting more boost is a bit absurd. The whole premise behind it is keeping the compressor out of surge. You have to decrease the pressure at any given flow point to do that.

As far as "what might be going on", to me it looks like you're operating that charger as you should, considering ~25psi is the somewhat advertised limit for those journal bearings.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Considering that a "wicked wheel" will move less air, all else constant, expecting more boost is a bit absurd. The whole premise behind it is keeping the compressor out of surge. You have to decrease the pressure at any given flow point to do that.

As far as "what might be going on", to me it looks like you're operating that charger as you should, considering ~25psi is the somewhat advertised limit for those journal bearings.
I didnt install the wheel expecting more air I was just saying I took the actuator off when I put the new wheel on. I plugged the line off expecting to build more boost
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nally7.3Powerstroke View Post
I didnt install the wheel expecting more air I was just saying I took the actuator off when I put the new wheel on. I plugged the line off expecting to build more boost
If you can remove/re-install the signal line to the actuator (you're not actually removing the actuator fwiw) and the boost remains unchanged, then you don't have enough spring pre-load to hold the gate closed even without any signal to the actuator.

Tighten the actuator rod. At the potential peril of your stock charger...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode