pmr 2 forged swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

pmr 2 forged swap

whos done this? got a 2001 thats getn ready for a rod swap. the rods weigh the same? the ballance the same?? just askn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS

Send a message via Yahoo to alterdst8
Re: pmr 2 forged swap

All this talk is really itching my brain and my curiousness (is that a word) ha ha on this idea of what makes a block pop. I'm leaning towards putting in 300cc something hybrids with a S400 something and documenting what happens in "my situation". Treating my truck like I do now "like i did then", a dirty whore with a driver with stage II's who didn't know any better with PMRs. I think I'll document the whole ordeal or (until it POPS) When I didnt know any better I wasnt scared of floggin stage II's at 1400 rpms with the TC locked up in 2006 while all the sudden I've lead myself to believe that ends in disaster. Why now do I second guess my truck/ myself/ my tuning after realizing potentially how much money i could spend/loose upwards of 25k+ or "blow" by most peoples standards by picking/ not picking a "good block". I'm about to do a build myself , getting the block, magnafluxed, decked, machined, balanced and cryoed.........plus billet rods, filled block to freeze plugs, hpop stage???, 400 cc injectors, ported heads, coated mains, bearings, headers @cut pistons, cam, twin turbos,fire ringed, girdle, fuel system, ETC, . Most of this build as far as install and fabricating the turbo I will do myself , however, I have become very confused as to is it worth it, even though i bleed blue and desire to build something different. Something were people have already decided it cant be done does drive me. I truly believed this is a reachable goal (700+ or - on fuel) before I really began reading everything in these forums or on the net in general. Or do i just do another project besides a 7.3, like become a quitter and not worry about blowing chunks of motorand pistons all over the intersection after I spent an obscene amount of money? I'm about ready to see If I have a freak PMR block or not?? I'm very close to seeing what really happens and data logging the whole deal. How many people with PMRs besides Kainers have truly pushed "the PMR HP virtual limit"???? If you can rule out tuning somehow, Is there a way to truly measure longevity between a PMR block VS a forged rod block VS. a forged cryogenic block VS billet rod block?? I''m not mad just really want to know what everyones true opinion is on how feasible it is for having a daily driver with 650+ HP that will be driven "normally" is. (don't get me wrong I plan on crushing all the punks in my neighborhood with dodges with STROKE THIS on their back windows )but not ragged out at the track every weekend or used at just Dyno Events.........I understand there are risks involved, but I would like to know what you guys really think of how important the rods and any or all supporting mods really are for insurance. I want to take every precautionary step necessary to make sure I did my best in protecting my investment to not have my block be the weak point. I get the fact that who really needs 500+ horsepower 900ft lbs+ torque because thats a chit load of powah in these trucks!!! Considering that what do you think?

P.S. sorry if i derail this post as I've kept quiet on this for a year or two but this had been driving me nuts.

02 c/c lariat 4x4 DI studs, Rosewood BIG OIL, 76mm/22cm XXXH2Evil, some fuel, C2 gauges, tru trac F/R 4.30 gears, custom shafts, Stallion TC, Fully built Suncoast, mag hytech pan, 5" pipe, 25k gooseneck hidden hitch , 2 motors, STILL on pmrs in one
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mitch in Mayetta Ks my turbo sponsor
OBNOXIOUS DIESEL built build
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 PM
PSN Veteran

well i switched my pmrs out for stock forged rods when i rebuilt my 7.3 last year. I didnt balance them but i did whiegh them all. they all wieghed in almost dean nuts on the button the same. I cant recall seen if they wieghed the same as the old pmr's though. Anyways i through it all together and it runs perfect. no out of balance feeling, no vibrations or anything and the boy i sold it to floggs the hell out of it. "gets on it hard when its still cold and just basiclly abuses it seems and it is still goin fine. Its only got stage one swamps injectors and a 140 tune with a few other mods probly pushin round 400hp now and it is runnin like a raped ape. The motor has 30,000 miles on it since i rebuilt it and looks and sounds like it will go forever on the stock forged rods.
But anyways i wish i would have wieghed the difference of the 2 diff. rods for you. I would have had the whole thing balanced but noone around here has bob wieghts big enough to balance the 7.3 crank any ways

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:18 AM
PSN Pretender

I switched over to forged about 20k ago. I polished them and had them peened, heat treated, then balanced. I was worried that I would get a vibration because the rotating assembly was not balanced for the rods but have not had any problems/vibrations in the motor at all. Ran exactly as it did with pmr's.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

The way the race shop explained it to me is you need things balanced when you go to extream rpm's. so what is extream for the 7.3? i dont know but i never got mine past the stock redline.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 AM
<<< Power

I'm makin the swap in the next few months here, and I'm gonna have the rods and crank balanced. I dunno what the weight difference is exactly, but the forged are heavier. Part of the reason they went to PMR's I've been told.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 04:35 AM
PSN Veteran

You may not personally feel the vibration, but the bearings will. Harmonics can do evil things. Do yourself a favor and don't skip having the rotating assembly balanced.

01' F250 PSD CC 4x4, GTP38R, Hi-Flow outlet, DI Bellowed up-pipes, BTS Hpop, DI Regulated return, ITP Annilator, AM 3pod, AFE PG7 Stage II, Silverline 4in T-Back, 6.0 Trans cooler, Dp F5, BTS Trans, True-Trac 3.73, Powerslot Cryo, Rotella ELC, Nitto Terra 285/75/16E on Alcoa wheels
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Talk to Mr Bob, he just did this swap not too long ago. He swapped it out in a weekend.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

whos mr.bob?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR-STROKEALOT View Post
whos mr.bob?
send a pm to him...

Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: Mr. Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode