FML - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
<- My lucky set of PMR's

FML

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else on here.
I have been having a problem with my idle on startup for about a year now that I track on and off when I have time. It is on the truck with the mods in my sig.
This has happened ever since the new shortblock and heads. The truck will start up fine and then start to miss randomly about 5 or 10 seconds after startup. It sounds like the number of cylinders missing varies. It will do this for a minute or two, and eventually calm down. It does this hot or cold on startup, but only if the truck has sat for at least 20 minutes or so.
I found a very slight draindown in the reservoir that I fixed, changed to different injectors (Bcodes), swapped cps a couple of times, changed the oil, checked for fuel pressure and it is constant, Joey has gone through the hpops just to be sure. I think that is most of what I have done.
I hope to get Auto Enginuity on it soon, and do a compression check, but the motor runs and idles great once it has fun for a few minutes, so I am just not sure.

Any Ideas or past problems that you had that had similar symptoms? I am a pretty patient guy but this one is really starting to get to me.

Thanks in advance.

Carl Evers
1996 Centurion conversion- Casserly 250cc BD's, Terminator HPOS, ITP Reg. return, ATS A5000 w/ early 99 intercooler, ATS Propane system and stage IV transmission with 5star and billet flexplate, DP Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

Re: FML

When cold, I always have the Termy romp after about 15 seconds of running, and it last for about 10 seconds. Once warmed up I don't seem to get it. IMO, it sounds like it is picking up air in the oil somewhere. Check your dip stick for foamy oil. Might be aerating the oil and when shut down getting an air pocket or bubbles in the pumps or reservoir - just a thought.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
<- My lucky set of PMR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389SixPack View Post
When cold, I always have the Termy romp after about 15 seconds of running, and it last for about 10 seconds. Once warmed up I don't seem to get it. IMO, it sounds like it is picking up air in the oil somewhere. Check your dip stick for foamy oil. Might be aerating the oil and when shut down getting an air pocket or bubbles in the pumps or reservoir - just a thought.
Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed much as far a air bubbles in the dipstick goes, but I will keep an eye out for it.
Would anyone say that because the issue seems to have a very big relationship to time that it sits that I could rule out a PCM or idm issue, or should I look at those as well?

Carl Evers
1996 Centurion conversion- Casserly 250cc BD's, Terminator HPOS, ITP Reg. return, ATS A5000 w/ early 99 intercooler, ATS Propane system and stage IV transmission with 5star and billet flexplate, DP Tuned

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389SixPack View Post
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
HP Junky

If it's a little air going through the system Melling Low Pressure Oil pump should help it or even cure it completely.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
<- My lucky set of PMR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
If it's a little air going through the system Melling Low Pressure Oil pump should help it or even cure it completely.
That's interesting Jacob. Care to explain why that is? The cost of one of those may be worth experimenting with.

Carl Evers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 AM
HP Junky

Well, I don't know what the true story behind it is. But I kind of think the dual pumps are pulling oil out of the resevoir faster than the low pressure pump can fill it at start-up.

The melling low pressure pump has a different design to it, I've been told it will flow a little more volume, hence it should be better able to keep the res full. I have no proof of this, nor data, but it sounds like a good theory. haha

And you're right, for the money, why not do it anyways?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
Well, I don't know what the true story behind it is. But I kind of think the dual pumps are pulling oil out of the resevoir faster than the low pressure pump can fill it at start-up.

The melling low pressure pump has a different design to it, I've been told it will flow a little more volume, hence it should be better able to keep the res full. I have no proof of this, nor data, but it sounds like a good theory. haha

And you're right, for the money, why not do it anyways?
In case anyone but me wanted to know, here is the response from Melling:

Below 2500 rpm the flow rate is as good as or slightly better than a stock pump.
Above 2500 rpm the flow rate is increased over the stock pump.
Above 3500 rpm the flow rate is 10% more than stock.

At test rpm of 700 rpm , 7 gpm
At test rpm of 4000 rpm , 25gpm

https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...d.php?p=155231

Also:
From the engineer at Melling:
As for the low pressure lube pump, our M208, the pump was re-designed to perform better than the original pump. When we started the M208 pump project we were aware of engine oiling issues and premature wear occurring in the pump. We designed our pump in a way to improve the oil delivery to the engine. But to improve the pump we had to re-design the gerotor unit. The Melling gerotor has a 10 lobed inner versus 14 lobes on the original pump. A 10 lobed inner provides a larger pumping chamber which allowed for a 30% reduction in the thickness of the gerotor set. The reduced thickness eliminated the need for the counter bore on the inner rotor for clearance of the harmonic balancer. The Melling gerotor is symmetrical so no installation issue can occur with the balancer. Even though the Melling pump looks like it will not equal the original it is actually better than the original!
and
Yes, our M208 output is meant to provide the same flow as the original pump but with better oil quality since the gerotor will fill better since it is not as deep as the original.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode