Need help with EGT's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Need help with EGT's

My daughters boyfriend has a 7.3. He is having a problem with his egt's climbing really fast. When he does a 4 wheel launch he doesn't make it more than 40' and his egt's have gone from 700 to 1400. They will cool down just as fast within seconds and I mean litterally within 10 seconds. His gauge runs to the exhaust manifold just before it goes to the muffler. Does this sound normal and if not does anyone no what the problem might be. He is running 175 injectors, stock turbo, and stock intercooler. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.
--Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 AM
PSN Local

Re: Need help with EGT's

Gonna need more air for the 175s. A brand new turbo for the son in law.....so your saying its 1400 after the turbo? Its gonna be even hotter going into the turbo. Wont be long till the turbo melts down at that pace.

2002 F-350, S&B intake, 38R tubro w/ wwII, EBV delete, CFM manifold, Spearco i/c, Adrenaline HPOP, Casserly stage I AC injectors , ITP Reg. return, DI Headers, hutch fuel mod, Cooling mist stg. 3, 4" MBRP Exhaust, transflow 46 and 40 gal fuel tanks/tool chest, Tunes by GAP, 4" pc lift, 22" Tis 534 wheels w/37"x 13.5" Dakar MT's, 4.30 gears
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Does he have larger tires? for short periods of time 1400 isn't going to hurt anything...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
His gauge runs to the exhaust manifold just before it goes to the muffler.
Are you sayin his probe is after the turbo, in the downpipe? If so his EGT's are way hotter in the exhaust manifold, where the reading should be taken.

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Sorry I was so long getting back. I think ya'll are right. He will be needing a new turbo. Hyrk nobody said son-in-law lol. But after the last dead beat she had before this one I would rush this one to the alter just in fear she might find another idiot like the last one lmao

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.
--Albert Einstein
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
ARMY bound

I'm that guy that the parents want to get rid of
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbxcursion View Post
I'm that guy that the parents want to get rid of
well #### i thought that was me. guess im gonna have to buy ya a beer sometime lol

02 f250
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 AM
ARMY bound

Sounds like a plan!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Well Hung Member

if it happens that quick, like was said before, get a decent drop in turbo(i strongly reccomend the gtp38r and steer clear of a tn bb), and check for boost leaks, could be somebody forgot a clamp, or a boot walked, or split or any of that. boost leaks will cause egt's to soar quickly as well. and where exactly is his egt probe? in the manifold? should be at the exit of the manifold, if its before the muffler, that would be the down pipe and you need to add a few hundred degrees to whatever the reading is. and what kind of exhaust/intake is he running, 175's and stock stuff isnt going to be worth anything without some supporting mods,

Donnie
2001- just the basics

2005 6.0 Studded, Deleted, 58v Swamps/PHP tuned Ficm, SOLD
99.5 hybrids, termy modded 17*, GT4294 TOTALED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
it's an 02 05 08

2002 ext. cab lwb 4x4 7.3
05 front 08 rear conversion
4in lift,forged rod motor,tunes by tsd,bts trans,6.0 transcooler,6 autometers to watch,studs,springs,push rods,238cc hybrids,itp reg return,stealth hpop,tsd custom fuel system and sump,an so on
6.0's pay the bills and 6.4's soon..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode