Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

how to- tq lock up switch

4K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
can someone please post up pictures and all that on how to install a manual switch torque converter lock up? its going on a '00 thanks

#3 ·
Diesel inoovations has it in there tech dept. With good tunes you would hardly even need it anyways. ie DP tuner, Wildman, PHP others im sure

#4 ·
#5 ·
I didn't find anything about it on swamps site. It seems pretty easy from DI's instructions.

Has anyone ever used a 3 way switch instead of a 2 way? I was thinking it would be nice to be able to fully lock it, unlocked so the tuning takes over, and fully unlocked to completely overide the tuning. I've never seen them done this way, but it would seem beneficial. I have talked with a few people that would like a 3 way switch, but no one is sure how to do it. ANy inout would be great.

#8 ·
I don't really feel like working that hard this morning and drawing up a diagram for something that makes no since as to why you would want to do it.

WHY do you want to be able to have the TC unlocked all the time? It just makes no since at all. All that does is heat up your tranny having it unlocked.

Now if you want my diagram for the regular TC lockup switch I can post that.

#18 ·
Then I would do it with 2 switches. One that will disconect the PCM to the trans all together. And another that will allow you to lock it if you wanted.

If you want I can draw up a diagram for ya on that.

#21 ·
Here ya go. I would use 2 switches. One On/Off switch between the PCM and DPDP Lockup Switch that will disconnect the PCM from the Tranny all together. And then your DPDT switch that you can use to lock up the TC any time you want.

#23 ·
Well with that diagram i just posted will do just that. You lock it when you want it locked and then unlock it when you want to.

Then when you want it to be normal again just turn the PCM switch back on.

#28 ·
This is good. I know there are others that have the same ?'s as me because we've talked about it. I have talked to a couple people that say there od light starts blinking when they lock it. I think they had it wired similar to the directions on DI's site. I may be wrong though

#32 ·
#35 ·
Don't worry about the blinking light... it won't keep a code or cause "limp mode" like you worried about.

You don't need two switches... don't listen to people who don't pull. It will be too much to think about when you're pulling.

Just do what I said and you'll be fine. Your other idea of sled pulling override will work but don't press the issue with Cale. Carson, John or myself do not use it.

#36 ·
When you pull Marty, what do you do as far as transfer case and tranny positions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.