Fuel Setups - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Fuel Setups

Seems to me that there is a lot of discussion on here about how to go about setting up the optimum fuel system, line sizes, pumps, filters, pressure etc.

Can we make some kind of sticky or get those in the know to post up some good info on the right setups for various applications. At present there is a lot of trial and error going on

For instance;

What do you need for a DD or tow rig, say up to 400HP?
What do you need for a mild street / weekend drag truck, say 400-500HP?
What do you need to go above 500HP? etc etc....

I know a lot of other supporting mods come into play like injectors etc, but if we just stick to fuel supply and filtration setups, i think this will help a lot of us.

2006 7.3L F250 CC SB 4x4 (RHD made in Brazil) Afe Stg II PG7, TN BB, ITP RR, Banks IC, 4" Ex, DP F6, Fluidampr, BTC, Transgo Tugger, Mag Hytec Pans. 305/70R18 MT ATZs, 4" Icon, OUO Blocks, Bilstein 5100s and FS Ride Rite bags PMR's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: Fuel Setups

That is a good idea, we should also do the same with an engine build sticky, with clearances and all the info you need to put a 7.3 together the right way.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
That is a good idea, we should also do the same with an engine build sticky, with clearances and all the info you need to put a 7.3 together the right way.

Dave
That's easy, just send WOP about $16,000 for the basic long block.......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
PSN Local

good ideas, i am going to be building a pulling truck over the winter and a basic blue print for some big power would save me allot of money on breakdown's

2000 PSD 6" lift, 35" bfg TKO, 6" stacks, pro comp traction bars, 238 hybrids with 200% nozzles, k&n cold air, s476, irate t4, head studs, TDP custom chip, FASS SYSTEM,ITP fuel bowl delete and regulated return, 20* swamps hpop,custom transmission,chromoly axles,chromoly push rods and high rev springs from Carson Stauffer,and some giggly juice
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Milk Truck

I am going to be building my fuel system soon. I was planning 5/8" pickup to a water separator to a fuelab pump. 1/2" out of the pump to a 2 micron filter. 1/2" up to a y, and then 3/8" to the front of the heads. 3/8" return lines off the rear of the heads to a regulator. I was originally going to use the factory return line to the tank, but after seeing a few setups use a 3/8" to the tank, I might go that route. IDK.

99.5 F250 cclb 4x4...modded, but looks stock
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 AM
PSN Veteran

A lot will depend on what fuel pump you go with, as certain pumps require a minimum line size feeding them.

Up to 400 horse, you may get away with a stock fuel delivery system, or stock system with a drop in carter replacement pump. We ran this setup over 550 horse beleive it or not, but the odds of that being a repeated success are very slim.

After 400 horse, youll need some kind of upgraded delivery system. i like the fuel lab pumps, even though theyre pricey. They seem to be lasting with the diesel fuel so far.

Airdog has a new unit as well and that could be a very viable option too.

A FASS will also support any hp youll most likely ever make, but some people have issues with longevity.

figure a 1/2 inch tubing to your pump via water seperator, then through a good filter up tot he motor will supply just about any hp any of us will ever need. you can go 5/8 up to the pump if you want to make sure the pump as an easy life as possible. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 AM
My own Transformer

What seems to be better, feeding the heads from the back, return from front(like it usually is) Or feed heads from the front and return from the back? The only thing I can think of for feeding to the front is that its away from the exhaust? I've seen both ways. Which is better? Can someone explain if there is a difference? I would like to get an idea before i put my new built motor back in. Thanks

96' f-350 crew cab
02' f-350 crew cab
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Milk Truck

I think there is pros and cons to feeding the front and the rear.

99.5 F250 cclb 4x4...modded, but looks stock
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post
A lot will depend on what fuel pump you go with, as certain pumps require a minimum line size feeding them.

Up to 400 horse, you may get away with a stock fuel delivery system, or stock system with a drop in carter replacement pump. We ran this setup over 550 horse beleive it or not, but the odds of that being a repeated success are very slim.

After 400 horse, youll need some kind of upgraded delivery system. i like the fuel lab pumps, even though theyre pricey. They seem to be lasting with the diesel fuel so far.

Airdog has a new unit as well and that could be a very viable option too.

A FASS will also support any hp youll most likely ever make, but some people have issues with longevity.

figure a 1/2 inch tubing to your pump via water seperator, then through a good filter up tot he motor will supply just about any hp any of us will ever need. you can go 5/8 up to the pump if you want to make sure the pump as an easy life as possible. Hope this gives you a few ideas.
OK, thanks this is good information for those of us looking at setting up a new or changing an existing fuel system. Looks like a few options available with regards to pumps, so lets keep it going, what is working and what is not? anyone tried the new Airdog II setup? Also, can you go too big in the fuel line dept?

2006 7.3L F250 CC SB 4x4 (RHD made in Brazil) Afe Stg II PG7, TN BB, ITP RR, Banks IC, 4" Ex, DP F6, Fluidampr, BTC, Transgo Tugger, Mag Hytec Pans. 305/70R18 MT ATZs, 4" Icon, OUO Blocks, Bilstein 5100s and FS Ride Rite bags PMR's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
A Ghost these days...

Here is the link to mine. It has been working flawlessly ever since.

https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35680

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode