White smoke? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

White smoke?

Ok so I bought a 2002 f350 zf6 cclb dually 4x4 around April this year. The dealer had just replaced the injectors and glow plugs. It had a pretty serious leak when I bought it. This is everything I've done so far, new batteries, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, 6637 intake, CCV mod, AIH delete, riff raff intercooler boots and plenum to spider boots, puller the turbo and deleted the EBPV with the stock pedestal, also rebuilt the turbo with a wicked wheel, new ICP sensor, pulled the shifter and re sealed it, changed tranny, both differentials and t-case fluid. I was hoping that would fix my leak, but it didn't. So I saved up a little more and this weekend I ripped out the old exhaust and up pipes and replaced with straight 5in and bellowed up pipes, pulled the old HPOP and put a new T500 on it, put a HPX on and moved the egt sensor to the driver side manifold because it was in the down pipe, then I changed the oil and filter with rotella 15w 40. That fixed my leak, yay, but after starting it, it blows white smoke out of the exhaust really bad, which it has never done before, it does it when I accelerate, it does it at idle too. Other that that, the truck runs and drives absolutely perfect, I put almost 70 miles on it today, to get the air out of the lines, but it's still almost bellowing white smoke out of the exhaust, is this normal after installing new exhaust and HPOP, does it just do this for a little then eventually stop or what? I'm stumped. Also I put in a ts 6 position chip about a month ago, and I drove it in all the setting and white smoke came out every time. Sorry for the rant, I'm just annoyed that I put all this money into it and something is still wrong. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 AM
7.3L strokin'

Re: White smoke?

Was it white smoking before the chip was on the truck? Sounds like maybe you need new injector o-rings.

Lane Hahn
02 F350 super cab 6spd DRW 2wd.
straight pipe exhaust w/ 8" rolled tip
6637 intake
bellowed up-pipes
Hutch mod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No, it never had white smoke ever, i checked for blow by also, and it passed the cap test. It has 124,000 miles

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM
PSN Local

Are you loosing coolant? what dose the exhaust smell like?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It's not loosing coolant, I'll smell the exhaust when I get off of work, it isn't doing it as muck at idle anymore, but it pretty much smokes the whole time I accelerate

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

remove the oil cap when the engine is up to temperature to check for excessive crankcase pressure, 'blow-by'..(any excessive oil consumption?)

when you rebuilt the turbocharger...how did the ORIGINAL compressor wheel look?

any erosion of (blade) material around the perimeter of the wheel?

any signs of 'dirt' in the air box, and/or tube from filter TO the turbo inlet?

I would NOT recommend on driving it until you get the white smoke/hazing to stop.

either...

the shop/dealer did a poor job on installing the injectors..

or

they misdiagnosed the engine as needing injectors when it may have low compression (worn piston rings/cylinders)...

I'd pop the valve covers off...lay a straight edge across each bank of 4 injectors...remove/inspect any injector sitting 'higher' than the rest...

if the injs are seated properly (all pretty even installed height)...then I'd go straight to a compression test on the cylinders...(dirt in tube to turbo, eroded compressor wheel).

IF the engine is still good...you'll melt a piston down in days (not weeks) if an injector wasn't properly installed...(raw fuel dumping on a cylinder 24/7...even when it isn't being commanded to fire)..

or the engine is toast (low compression)...and the new/good injectors are simply doing their job...but the engine can't burn the fuel (needs compression to burn)...

good luck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I checked for blowby and it passed the cap test, the old compressor wheel did have some chips on it. And I've put about 1500 miles on it since the new injectors where put in. The exhaust doesn't have any particular smell to it, but I don't really know what I'm smelling for and just trying to get a quick wiff not trying to inhale.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It's doing it a lot less than yesterday, it doesn't do it on start up or while idling, or if I rev the engine while not moving. I guess I'll check the injectors first, but it's been raining everyday when I get off work and I don't have a garage

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I just checked to oil and it about halfway between the bottom and add mark, I've put 77 miles on it in 2 days and on Sunday I changed the oil, putting 1 quart in the filter and 14 quarts in the engine and 1 quart in the HPOP reservoir. And now it practically barely registers on the dip stick. I checked the fuel filter and it isn't black, but then again I don't have a regulated return so it technically doesn't have to be black. So sounds to me like injector o rings. The weird part is there's no stumbling or lack of power with it. Is it possible that my old HPOP with its oil leaks was so under powering the new injectors that when I switched to the t500 it blew the injector o rings? Does anyone have thoughts on this?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartguns View Post
I just checked to oil and it about halfway between the bottom and add mark, I've put 77 miles on it in 2 days and on Sunday I changed the oil, putting 1 quart in the filter and 14 quarts in the engine and 1 quart in the HPOP reservoir. And now it practically barely registers on the dip stick. I checked the fuel filter and it isn't black, but then again I don't have a regulated return so it technically doesn't have to be black. So sounds to me like injector o rings.
I'd highly recommend a compression test on the engine before pulling the injectors out.

Quote:
The weird part is there's no stumbling or lack of power with it. Is it possible that my old HPOP with its oil leaks was so under powering the new injectors that when I switched to the t500 it blew the injector o rings? Does anyone have thoughts on this?

no.

with the smoke and oil consumption..and old turbo wheel/history..

it's much much more likely to be a turbo (seal) issue, or a low compression/cylinder wear issue.

run a compression test...if it's good...it's worth fixing (turbo, injs, etc)...

if compression is low (sub 350psi ish)...then decide on how to handle the repair/replacement...or just roll with it consuming oil.

see lots of guys throw money at a bad/worn engine...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode