2000 F250 7.3 only making 15PSI! HELP! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
PS Enthusiast

2000 F250 7.3 only making 15PSI! HELP!

So I just picked up my first ever diesel. I have always wanted an F250 and I started doing the work the day I got it. Looking into mods. So on so forth. Well I wanted to slap a boost gauge on it before I started doing any tinkering so I would know what exactly was going on currently and what gains or losses I was receiving from any mods. I am only making 15PSI. No intake, no exhaust, no injectors or tuner. Is this normal, and what can I do to raise my boost without spending a fortune? Such as mods. (I have heard of the 10k mod and tried messing around with the different variations of the mod and couldnt get it to smoke or produce any power gains. I have seen people gaining anywhere from 20-60hp and unknown values of tq from the 10k mod and read several posts where people were getting a substantial amount of smoke from it as well. I want to provide more boost for the truck. That is what it seems to need. Along with that the truck has little to no torque in first gear unless I slowly roll on the throttle. If I mash it, it just seems to fall on its face and once it hits 2nd gear it will launch. Any idea how I can get that 2nd gear launch in 1st? As I said before I am looking for cheap/free mods to pep it up a little bit until I can save a little money back for a quality tuner and exhaust. I plan on doing a DIY Intake to save a little dough. Really glad to be part of this community! I expect I will get plenty of help from you experienced coal rollers! (Or power makers.... I have read some pretty priceless arguments over rolling coal on these forums.) Thank you so much for any input! Throw all the mods you guys know at me! I am willing to experiment with just about any of them! Thanks! Oh and here is a short overview of the truck to give you a starting point! 2000 F250/270k miles/Long bed extended cab(supercab?)/2wd/Stock intake, exhaust, no tune, stock size tires and rims/ stock turbo and injectors, no motor work..... Tried the 10k mod inline as well as straight into ICP sensor. Not sure if I did it correctly so if someone could give a detailed description on how to do so correctly that would be appreciated. Want to do the mod in line so I do not run the risk of harming the sensor. ANY MODS WOULD BE GREAT! PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 PM
PSN Local

Re: 2000 F250 7.3 only making 15PSI! HELP!

15 psi is about right for bone stock in my opinion. In advance don't talk about wanting to roll coal on the forums it is looked down upon. Save up the money and get a good intake, exhaust and tuner, cheap is never a good way to do something. My race tune makes 22psi of boost at wot. Im running a php hydra with php tunes for stock injectors

1997 f250 ex cab short bed 4x4, 5 speed, tymar intake, 3inch mbrp downpipe to 5inch straight pipe, 2inch rough country front add a leafs. more to come. Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 f250 ex cab short bed 4x4, 6 speed, tymar intake, 4inch downpipe to 5inch strightpipe, leveling kit ,issapro ev2 boost and pyro, PHP Hydra
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PS Enthusiast

Yeah I had read that there is some bitterness towards rolling coal. From the way I understand it, its the guys that constantly roll coal that are the trouble makers. I am looking for a healthy engine. I saw a post that anywhere from 16-19 psi is about normal. I am looking into getting a bullydog tuner, mbrp turbo back exhaust and a DIY intake to save some money there. Should be around 5-600$ to get all that done so not too bad just takes time. Looking for the temporary pep until I get that done. I have heard many small deletes or mods can feed your power itch until you get the proper upgrade money.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 PM
PSN Local

Stay away from the bullydog, their are better tuners out their that theirs tunes go by your PCM code. The php hydra is the big thing out now. You can run several different companies tunes with it. Their is a newbies looking for more power and a chip discussion at the top of the page. lots of good info their

1997 f250 ex cab short bed 4x4, 5 speed, tymar intake, 3inch mbrp downpipe to 5inch straight pipe, 2inch rough country front add a leafs. more to come. Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 f250 ex cab short bed 4x4, 6 speed, tymar intake, 4inch downpipe to 5inch strightpipe, leveling kit ,issapro ev2 boost and pyro, PHP Hydra
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
PS Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: 2000 F250 7.3 only making 15PSI! HELP!

from what I have seen bullydog is a very reliable source for power and they have a killer warranty. I also looked into superchip which also has a very good warranty but lower power gains. I am also interested in dp. Dp has been talked about on a lot of the threads I have been weeding through. I am doing extensive research before I put my money or motor at risk on a tuner. Superchips and Bullydog have made a very good name for themselves and that is why i am interested in them. But if further research tells me I can get the same reliability from a DP or a php with more power gains I am going to become more interested in that form of a tuner. I just have this little bug in my head that says dont let someone else tell you what is good for you but being new to the turbo diesel world I am very open to what others have to say about power adders. Thank you for your input. I will be going mobile now as I have to go to work. Gotta love that night shift right?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
PS Enthusiast

Anyone else have any input? Really need some more ideas on small mods that I can use until I build up the cash for a tuner and exhaust.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM
the stryker god

anything other than custom tunes is trash. The hydra and dp f6 are both nice pieces and lots of tuners are out there (swamps, dyno proven, gearhead, tony wildman, php, diesel innovations, power-struck)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM
PSN Veteran

i can make like 21 lbs or so without a chip on my truck with intake and exhaust. i replaced the intercooler boots and gained like 2 lbs.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Goneracin

rolling coal is pointless if you want to make power. rolling coal is running the engine very rich causing the unburnt diesel to come as black smoke. its pointless, not good for your truck, and very widely frowned upon.

The "launch" you speak of, is probably turbo lag. A custom tune from DP or PHP will help that a lot. a billet turbo wheel will help as well, or you could swap to a 38R ball bearing turbo, I hear that is supposed to eliminate it completely.

Going with a tune from bullydog or superchips is something you will regret. You say they have a good track record, and Im sure they do, but you are speaking in generalities. Just because superchips might be good at tuning a Honda civic or a Ford Mustang doesnt mean they put the same effort into the 7.3 Diesel tunes. Those companies are very broad, and they do a lot of vehicles well. What you want is a tuner who does better than "well", thats why you pick someone who specializes in ford 7.3 diesel tuning. Someone like Jody at DP Tuner.

Dont try and cut corners, a cheap DIY intake could result in a new $1000 turbo. Im not saying you need to get a $400 intake, look into the 6637 intake from riffraff.

Good luck

2001 F-250 7.3L auto

Suspension stuff, engine stuff, reliability stuff...
Some other stuff I'm forgetting...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PS Enthusiast

I was planning on going to napa to get a filter the same exact size as that 6637. About 69$ And how much does a DP Cost and what tubes are recommended? And quite honestly if I want to blow smoke on occasion I'm going to blow smoke on occasion. It's not like every guy out there that blows smoke does it all the time day in and day out. This smoke conflict is getting really old. I get it makes diesels look bad. But did I say I wanted to drive through town pouring smoke from one side to the other? No. An occasion rolling of coal on my buddies trucks isn't a big deal. Now back on track. All I was asking was mods that I could use UNTIL I get my tuner. Not what tuner to get. I really want temporary mods until I can get a DP.

2000 F250 Powerstroke
7.3L
270K Miles
Sunpro Boost Gauge
Kenwood In-Dash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode