Help wiring carling switches - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Help wiring carling switches

Installing riffraff f650 dash piece with nine switches and two gauges. I have several aftermarket lights on my truck that are wired up to various on/off and on/off/on toggle switches across the dash of my truck. So, all I have to do is replace the toggle switches with the new carling switches. I have the on/off carling switches wired up and working fine. The on/off/on switches are giving me hell. Found a few wiring diagrams online and wired thm accordingly with no success. I'll use my fog lights as an example. I have them wired so they can either be on all the time, off, or come automatically with the headlight switch.

Here's how I've been wiring the carling switch(on/off/on)to the fogs: #1-goes out to low beam, #2-is 12v switched power, #3-goes out to relay(86), #7- is ground for the switch, #8-is dash illumination.

The switch works when I switch the fogs to the "on all the time position" but as soon as I switch it down to come on automatically with the headlights it blows the fuse that I have tapped off the low beam power wire.

I wired in my driving light and reverse light switches the same way as above and the switches will work in one "on" position but not the other. It blows the fuse coming off the reverse wire for back up lights and the fuse coming off the high beam wire for the driving lights. If anybody knows anything I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2000 7.3l f350 psd. 3.73 rear end. 4x4 cclb srw auto. 92k on the clock. Black on gold two tone. Ranchhand everything. 6637 filter, ccv mod, big rig running lights, foil delete, zoodad mod, kc rally 800's, fog lights, tuff country 2.5" leveler, x code springs, fabtech. trac bar. 315/75r16 cooper stt's on stock wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Help wiring carling switches

??? Somebody has got to know this. There are only five posts at the back switch I know I've got something backwards. Just don't know what

2000 7.3l f350 psd. 3.73 rear end. 4x4 cclb srw auto. 92k on the clock. Black on gold two tone. Ranchhand everything. 6637 filter, ccv mod, big rig running lights, foil delete, zoodad mod, kc rally 800's, fog lights, tuff country 2.5" leveler, x code springs, fabtech. trac bar. 315/75r16 cooper stt's on stock wheels.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

the only thing that will pop fuses is shorting it to grnd
so you have that wrong somehow but without seeing the diagram its hard to guess

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 PM
For Different Folks

From the sounds of it and what I see online for a wiring diagram you have the switch wired correctly. A little more explanation on where and what the other end of the wires are doing would help. Post back and we'll see what we can work out.

1997 F-350 XLT Crew Cab Dually 2WD - 175k miles - 4.10 gears/Open Diff. - E4OD - Factory RKE - 4" turbo-back exhaust
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I asked this question on another forum and one of the answers I got was that I need a dpdt switch. The switch I have now is a V6D2. They said that it may be that it's designed to control two diff sets of lights. Like, driving lights/off/fog lights. It kinda makes sense, seeing as how when I turn the fogs on in one position they work and then when I turn them on in the other it blows th fuse where I hav it tapped into the low beams. I'm not for sure if this is the answer or not.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Couple of questions:

Are they double-LED types...separate LED indicators for each "ON" position?

What's the COMPLETE part no. of the V6D2 switches you have? (V6D2.....)

-OR-

Can you post a pic of the switch (back side)?

Also, I am assuming it is a 3-position rocker? On-Off-On (theoretically at least...)

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; Turbine Jacket; Banks IC, BanksBrake
Melling LPOP, External Oil Cooler & Filter System
Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP,
Swamps 160/30's, HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5
Full R-R Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Rad & Tank; 4" Exhaust, Twin Aussie Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

I'm trying to upload a diagram for you.

Can't seem to find the "Upload" button on my Photo page....

(Are we no longer able to upload images?) :-/

ANYWAY, OK...I think I have solved you issue.

I have the Carling Switch circuit catalog here. I just believe you have miss-wired the terminals.

Just so I'm straight with what you are trying to accomplish:

1. With your switch in the center (OFF) position, your fog lights are OFF (always).
2. With your switch UP (ON #1), your fog lights are ON (always).
3. With your switch DOWN (On #2), your fog lights ON (ONLY if the head lights are on).
4. The switch will illuminate with the rest of dash lights (whenever the dash is illuminated).

Is this correct?

Also, is the internal illumination for the switch an LED or incandescent?

Al in SoCal
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes you are correct. Middle position off. Top position on all the time. Bottom position only come on when headlight are on. The V6D2 is the only number on the side of the switch. There are two LEDs in switch. One green. One amber. When the dash lights are turned on there is a square at the top of the rocker that is illuminated green. When the switch is depressed to the top on position there's a small rectangular light that illuminates amber at the bottom of the rocker. There are only 5 pins at the back of the switch. They are: 1,2,3,7 and 8. Everything I read online said to wire it like this:

1-out to accessory
2-12v power in
3-out to accessory
7- ground
8-dash illumination

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Hang on I'm checking something...

Al in SoCal
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Ok, even though the switch info says # 1&3 "out to accessory", you actually need to wire it a bit differently.

Remember, basically you are wanting your fog lights to be supplied from 2 different sources: either directly from the battery (i.e., on all the time), OR from your headlight circuit (i.e. on with the headlights). The fog lights are the common thing, the two power sources are what you are selecting between.

The function of the swith is like this: the COMMON terminal on the switch (#2) is either connected to #1 or #3, depending on the position of the rocker (or neither, if the rocker is in the middle).

Does this make sense so far?

Okay, so try this:

On your switch...

1. Connect the #2 terminal to your fog lights (or the fog light relay).

2. Connect #1 terminal to the +12 v hot (or switched...whichever you are using for the "always on" source).

3. Connect the #3 terminal to you H/L power source (hot when low-beams are on).

Sounds like the other terminals are already connected correctly for the LED's to function. Do they come on when the dash lights are on?

I had a similar arrangement on my old Ford truck's B/U lights. I had two aux lights in the rear which were wired through an accesory switch the same way: UP=on, Middle=off, Down= on when in reverse (stock B/U lights ON). Only difference was, it was a basic toggle switch, not a fancy illuminated rocker...

Give it a try, let me know what happens...

Al in SoCal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode