First time 7.3 owner, oh damn - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

First time 7.3 owner, oh damn

Just bought my 'new' truck monday with 271k on the ODO.
Got it knowing the injectors need replacing soon, something about the poppets in the injectors not working well when cold, also knew the AC was out and the sway bar needs new bushings. What I didn't plan on, at least no this soon was an tranny replacement. After 1400 miles the transmission is TOAST.
I spoke with Rick at Trans Plus INC in tampa and he said he could build me a stage 2 for 2500 with a billet torque converter, zpack on 1st and 2nd gear, triple clutch, external cooler + 2yr unlimited mileage warranty and would essentially be 'bullet proof'. Since I'll be towing an 11000lb trailer through mountains every so often I figure it's a good idea to have the peace of mind of not having to replace a transmission any time soon.
The question is what to do about the injectors, it's important to mention 2 things, one is that I will be running WMO probably w85 and w80 in the colder months, two is that even though I just used all kinds of fancy lingo above I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about on a grand scale. My engineering skills are in demolitions but I'd like to not apply those to this vehicle.
I don't think I'll fix the AC, it's usually not that hot here in Montana but these last few days have had me contemplating that.
My ultimate goal is to do this as cheap as possible, I'm not power hungry and in fact I've already got one speeding ticket after 2 days of owning it (before the tranny blew). I just want a reliable truck that I could eventually give to my son when he's old enough.
Also looking at adding FRX/HRX, seems like it would be a good addition since I'm running alt fuel.
Glad to be here, I can stop lurking now

ps: Not my first diesel, came from the cummins land a few years ago and had a 6.0 prior to this. I didn't trust the 6.0 so I had to sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: First time 7.3 owner, oh damn

well 11,000 is a good drag, especially on 271k...perhaps some full force 160 or some baby swamps add a chip and tuner
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 PM
International Coal Roller

Nothing is bulletproof, and is that quote for shipping as well? A set of 160 singles, some good tuning and possibly a new turbo and you should be good. 11k up hill constantly is gonna be taxing on anything though.

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM
whistle tits

Go with a bts transmission, you wont regret it, and it will be the last penny you ever spend on that transmission.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Luddite in Charge

The trans issues I have no grounds to speak. The injectors tho I can tell you to buy a set of valve cover gaskets, google "7.3l powerstroke 50 cent mod" and "7.3l powerstroke injector stiction fix" and you'll be able to forget about any worries in the fuel delivery on that truck.

Why would they sell you another cooler when the stock truck comes with one? I guess maybe there's bigger but.. I dunno. I never trusted autos till I bought this 6.4 with one and I'm still wading thru the motor issues.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
PSN Local

A tranny shop in tampa? as in tampa fl??
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 AM
whistle tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Andy View Post
The trans issues I have no grounds to speak. The injectors tho I can tell you to buy a set of valve cover gaskets, google "7.3l powerstroke 50 cent mod" and "7.3l powerstroke injector stiction fix" and you'll be able to forget about any worries in the fuel delivery on that truck.

Why would they sell you another cooler when the stock truck comes with one? I guess maybe there's bigger but.. I dunno. I never trusted autos till I bought this 6.4 with one and I'm still wading thru the motor issues.
because a stock 7.3 transmission cooler is tiny compared to the 31 row 6.0 cooler

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarmer86 View Post
A tranny shop in tampa? as in tampa fl??
Yea I was wonderin about that myself, thats a long way to pay shipping.

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM
PSN Local

Well just saying if your shipping a tranny to florida. It had better be to Tim Moye, I'd put him up as one of the best tranny builders in the nation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarmer86 View Post
Well just saying if your shipping a tranny to florida. It had better be to Tim Moye, I'd put him up as one of the best tranny builders in the nation.
Is he in tampa? I dont know of builders around here, it be nice to know who to go to local.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode