post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

cold air intake stats

I saw a while back to where some one did tests
on cold air intakes for cfm and particals size that
was held back. Does anyone know of this and if
so where can i find it? Does a better flowing cold
air kit help with egts? I have the aem brute force
dry filter. I am also running a 38r, 250/200, 4" exhaust.
I dont want to have to keep buying filters, to me
that can get expensive over the lifetime i keep my
truck 20 years down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 AM
whistle tits

Re: cold air intake stats

6637 and done

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

now that i am more awake, I also have the ww2.
What is happening is my filter
minder is getting pulled in that is telling me that the
filter i have on is causing a resitriction. Its not getting
pulled in but halfway. Would a better filter with less
restriction lower egt and the black smoke coming out
of tail pipe, or would it not make that much of a
difference with only that much of restriction i have now.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Goneracin

I have never had mine get sucked in that far. But if you are getting black smoke then it does sound like you need more air.

2001 F-250 7.3L auto

Suspension stuff, engine stuff, reliability stuff...
Some other stuff I'm forgetting...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
the stryker god

a 38r without a filter still isn't enough air for 250/200's
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i found something that might interest you guys.
It seems to me that the ability of an air filter to protect your engine should be the top criteria for selecting an air filter and the "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" of an air filter is given by...

"Dirt Filtering Efficiency"={"Dirt Holding Capacity"}/{"Dirt Holding Capacity"+"Dirt Passed"}

...and if you multiply this result by 100 it gives the percentage of the dirt in the incoming air stream that's stopped by the air filter so that it doesn't enter your engine.

For an ISO-5011 test the measurement of "Dirt Holding Capacity" and "Dirt Passed" is done by establishing a 628 CFM airflow through an initially clean air filter and then introducing into the airflow stream a controlled amount of "standardized dust" at a controlled dust feed rate of 17.58 grams/min. The "standardized dust" meets an ISO-12103 standard which has a specified distribution of particle diameters ranging from less than 0.5 microns to 150 microns and the peak of the particle distribution curve is at a 60 micron particle diameter.

As the filter does its job of filtering out the dust that's been introduced into the airflow stream the filter becomes progressively more restricted and the suction is increased so as to maintain a constant 628 CFM airflow through an increasingly dirtier filter. When the inches H2O restriction increases to 10 inches H2O above the initial restriction for a clean filter at a 628 CFM airflow the test is terminated and the results are tabulated. The "Dirt Passed" is collected with a downstream sub-micron HEPA filter and then weighed and the "Dirt Holding Capacity" is determined by weighing the clean and dirty filter under identical conditions of ambient pressure, temperature, and relative humidity.

For the stock FA-1750 filter the "Dirt Filtering Efficiency"={542.0}/{1.31+542.0}=0.9976=99.76% but this means that 0.24% of the ingested dirt still passes through the filter and as the miles accumulate this adds up to a lot of dirt going into your engine especially if you drive in dusty conditions!

The Donaldson Power Core Ultra Web technology blue media used in the AIS FA-1757 element has a "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" of 99.97% which means that only 0.03% of the ingested dirt passes through that filter and this means the stock FA-1750 filter passes a factor of x8 more dirt than the AIS FA-1757 does!

So what's the "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" of a WIX 46637 or any of it's crossed-referenced "so-called" equivalents such as the Baldwin PA2818 or the Donaldson B085011? Well the only information I've been able to find is from the Donaldson website which states that "Donaldsonís DuraLite Air Cleaners" which includes the Donaldson B085011 are rated for... "Gas and diesel engines in light to medium dust conditions".

So the Donaldson B085011 filter doesn't seem to be a good choice for the dusty conditions that many trucks encounter! Also based on the price difference the WIX/NAPA 6637 versions of the Donaldson B085011 might not be of equal quality or perhaps by now they're just like most other commodities and all made at the same factory in China?

A dry paper element filters on a "go or no go" basis where dirt particles that are larger than the "openings" in the filter media are trapped while particles that are smaller than the openings can pass right through. For a treated or impregnated paper element with the same size "openings" in the filter media many of the smaller diameter particles stick to the surface and don't pass through the element resulting in improved "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" of "invisible" particulate matter with very small micron diameters. Since the surface of the stock FA-1750 element has a kind of "waxy" feel and the 6637 seems to employ a plain dry paper element I doubt the 6637 filters any better than the stock element does and perhaps not even as well!

In case anyone's curious as to why a "628 CFM airflow" is used it's because the ISO-5011 test standard includes a formula for the required testing CFM that depends on engine displacement and on whether or not it has a turbo and for any 7.3L engine with a turbo a "628 CFM airflow" is required for the dirt filtration testing.

Some filter vendors have been known to test at a CFM that's lower than the ISO-5011 test standard CFM and since a larger percentage of dirt gets filtered out at a lower CFM this allows claims of higher "Dirt Filtering Efficiency"! Also some filter vendors test with "coarse dust" which only includes particles ranging in size from 5.5 microns to 176 microns as opposed to the ISO-5011 test standard which includes particle diameters ranging from less than 0.5 microns to 150 microns.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I think the filter is holding back the 38r flow rate.
my exhaust temps are holding real good at 900
to 1k in temps pre turbo towing.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

here is some more info
Since I installed my 38R, my filter minder trips when I get on it. There are two possibilities:
I still have the "weaker" filter minder that I've heard about.
My modified Motorcraft AIS (Donaldson) isn't up to the task.
While scouring the net for CFM data on touted filter systems, this is what I've found so far (if it is all to be believed):
Stock CFM = 277
Napa 6637 CFM = 425
AFE Stage 2 CFM = 582
Motorcraft AIS CFM = 775
AirAid Stage 2 CFM (oiled) = 820
7.3L theoretical MAX CFM = 850 CFM

I'm looking for:
Something that doesn't trip the Filter Minder.
As quiet as I can get, understanding it doesn't get as good as the AIS.
Cold intake.
Good cleaning.
The 6637 is out of the question because it fails at everything on the list... compared to what I'm used to. I've heard them.

Please feel free to poke holes at the numbers I acquired if you know better. If you're beast is using the Filter Minder (whine-free) and and more ponies than I am, what are you using? If you think my Filter Minder is failing miserably, chime in.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
the stryker god

Swamps made 932 horse through a single 6637. And they do filter exceptionally well. Check out r2c competition filters if you want something bettet
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

where can i find those bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode