S&B intake question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

S&B intake question

Happy 4th fellow PSNers!

I purchased a S&B intake about 25K miles ago and opted for the dry filter.
I am about to order a replacement, and I wanted to get your opinion on the dry filter vs oiled. My biggest concern is dust. i live off a lime rock road.
your input would be much appreciated.

Annnnnnnnnnnd go.......

2000 F350 4x4, 35" Toyo MT's, 20" Motometal, 4" stainless MBRP, S&B CAI (Dry Filter), Autometer quad pillar "Ford Racing" OEM inspired, Kenwood Navigation System, Deep low profile box w/rail. Ranch Hand front and rear, '05-'07 front end upgrade (lights and grill), HID headligts/fog lights, Edge Evo programmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM
PSN Local

Re: S&B intake question

Cant say much about the dry but ive had my wet one and it works great here on the farm (dirt roads). I soak it with spraynine let sit for 15 min - wash it out - let dry at least 1hr - then oil it. So it does take some time unlike blowing out a dry. But never any dust or build up in the intake pipe.

2002 F-350, S&B intake, 38R tubro w/ wwII, EBV delete, CFM manifold, Spearco i/c, Adrenaline HPOP, Casserly stage I AC injectors , ITP Reg. return, DI Headers, hutch fuel mod, Cooling mist stg. 3, 4" MBRP Exhaust, transflow 46 and 40 gal fuel tanks/tool chest, Tunes by GAP, 4" pc lift, 22" Tis 534 wheels w/37"x 13.5" Dakar MT's, 4.30 gears
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 AM
Guilty on all counts

I have no experience with the dry filter, but have oiled S&B's in both my 7.3's. I am very happy with them. They can be a pain to clean like Hyrk said, you have to wait for them to dry. I usually leave them overnight to dry and still end up using a hair dryer to get out the moisture. I'm thinking of getting an extra element to have ready for when I do a filter change. Other than that, they perform well and sound great too!

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 AM
PSN Local

If your filter is closed a oil one is great. If your filter is open the oiled ones get dirty really quick. And when you clean them they only work once or twice after. I'm thinking of switching to dry..... And this is just my experience, I might go down dirt roads a lot more. I go to my ranch a lot and my family owns a construction company.

06 f350 white crew cab dually, 225/100 warrens, barder 68, BTS, Fuel lab setup built by tsd, sct tuned by tsd, ppe up pipes,bd exhaust manifolds, secret dual oil kit ,CTS monitor, a lot more extras

01 f350 red extended cab dually, powermax 38r, BTS, cfm, Afe, 6 inch danahoe, tsd 6 pos, a lot more extras.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks fellas...i will buy the oiled one.

have a great weekend.

2000 F350 4x4, 35" Toyo MT's, 20" Motometal, 4" stainless MBRP, S&B CAI (Dry Filter), Autometer quad pillar "Ford Racing" OEM inspired, Kenwood Navigation System, Deep low profile box w/rail. Ranch Hand front and rear, '05-'07 front end upgrade (lights and grill), HID headligts/fog lights, Edge Evo programmer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Dry only elements for me. Oiling and fooling around trying to get a nice even coat of oil is a pain and messy. I also think the oiled filters get dirtier quicker. Dry elemnts are fast simple and work!

Curtsey
Early 99 Crew Cab,LB , 4" magna-flow exhaust, S&B Intake, FASS Pump, HRX, Regulated Return, Riff Raff Billet Plenums, ARP Studs, 910 springs, Chromoly Push rods, OBA, Carson Stuaffer t4 mount and a Borg warner s64.5 sxe Turbo, PIS 175/80's, T-500, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges, BTS Trans!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 AM
7.3_KURT

id stay with the dry. i thinking about switching to dry because i geuss the oiled ones mess up sensors. but no issues yet ive had it for like 2 years haha. id buy there outerwear for the oiledit will help filter better. and if people say that they can feel the diffence with just the intake istall there full of it. youll feel the power when you put exhaust on it

2000 7.3 zf6 4" AFE S&B intake SCT Programmer 6" procomp 37 BFG baja TAs .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM
PSN Local

I have both oiled and dry filters. The oil filter is just as good as the dry. The reason I use both filters is because when re oiling my filter i let it sit for about 24 hours. In that time I put the dry filter back on. S&B is not like K&N with the dusting issues. Their oiled filters will filter very well if the oil is allowed to wick properly.

2002 F250 Ext Cab Long Bed 4x4. SOLD!!!

2015 6.7 Powerstroke.... SCT Livewire w/MPD custom tunes, Rudy's egr delete, 5" DP back to 7" Tip, S&B Air Intake
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduner7.3 View Post
id stay with the dry. i thinking about switching to dry because i geuss the oiled ones mess up sensors. but no issues yet ive had it for like 2 years haha. id buy there outerwear for the oiledit will help filter better. and if people say that they can feel the diffence with just the intake istall there full of it. youll feel the power when you put exhaust on it
If you had bothered to actually test the performance of an aftermarket filter, you would not say people are full of it. SOTP doesn't mean a thing. I've checked some by using a g-meter and actually dynoing my truck. Have you?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 AM
7.3_KURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
If you had bothered to actually test the performance of an aftermarket filter, you would not say people are full of it. SOTP doesn't mean a thing. I've checked some by using a g-meter and actually dynoing my truck. Have you?
i sure it added power. no argument there. but realy do you think people just have dyno at there disposal no. it dosent matter really. i am very happy with what i have and the price i paid.

2000 7.3 zf6 4" AFE S&B intake SCT Programmer 6" procomp 37 BFG baja TAs .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode