Upgrades while removing engine for oil pan? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Upgrades while removing engine for oil pan?

I have a 2000 7.3 cc 128k miles. Pan is real thin and needs to be replaced. Instead of paying someone $3K I'm thinking of pulling it and doing myself. Seems tedious but straight forward. Buddy has a big work shop at his house said I could use so I can take my time and do it right. Thinking of going with the moroso pan found here. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-toAttachment 98505/engine/1405-ford-73l-power-stroke-oil-pan-repair-problem-solved/
What I would like to know are upgrades for performance/ reliability I should do while engine is pulled or any tips and tricks. Currently has 4" turbo back. AIS. Php hydra. Attachment 98505

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Luddite in Charge

Re: Upgrades while removing engine for oil pan?

I never saw or heard of a 7.3 pan leeching thru, and I've seen some rust jobs you wonder how it's not leaking. If you want a new look, well, spend the time.

2 or 4 wheel truck?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM
PSN Veteran

New ford oil pan & sealer, bellowed up pipes, new exhaust manifold bolts, oil cooler gaskets, water pump, thermostat, rad hoses. 7.3 motor is very easy pull coolers front accessories hardest part is up pipes pull upper rad support pops right out. I usually scuff the new pan with scotch pad clean it and spray some truck bed coating on it day before gives nice heavy coating for rust protection.

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy View Post
New ford oil pan & sealer, bellowed up pipes, new exhaust manifold bolts, oil cooler gaskets, water pump, thermostat, rad hoses. 7.3 motor is very easy pull coolers front accessories hardest part is up pipes pull upper rad support pops right out. I usually scuff the new pan with scotch pad clean it and spray some truck bed coating on it day before gives nice heavy coating for rust protection.
When I win the lottery I want to invite you and Houston to my place (all expense paid) and throw $100 bills at you two with only the instructions that the sky is no limit on my 3 7.3s and 6.4... I have the pole barn but not the lift yet, but I think very soon after winning the lottery that won't be an issue.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wise guy I was interested in trying the moroso pan because it's supposed to be thicker than the factory pan. Any insight? And the water pump is that just a preventative thing? Because mine is still good.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also is it worth putting head studs and valve springs in while it's out?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

I personally don't have any experience with the moroso pan. I really cant give an opinion on it I do like what they advertise as coatings. For me I'm not willing to try a more expensive oil pan and hope it don't leak. I would rather use new ford and add 5 bucks worth of bed coatings and know it will not leak for 5-10 years.
Water pumps are high failure part on 7.3 if your pulling the motor its less than 5 minutes to replace it.
Stock injector 7.3 will never need head studs. 7.3 hg failures are extremely rare. unless planning on future upgrades springs are not necessary. Only real recommendation would be check compression before you pull it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Check the compression to see if it's even worth spending the time and money pulling the motor? And if i had to say what my future plans for it upgrade would be is eventually end up at a reliable 400 - 450 hp building piece by piece. Like do hybrid injectors, nothing big, down the road when my stock ones are tired or I have the extra 2k.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 AM
PSN Veteran

yes check compression just make sure its in good health.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 AM
slow learner

Send a message via MSN to Jbolen323 Send a message via Skype™ to Jbolen323

Shops around here are usually only about 1k to pull a motor although it's super easy just sounds hard. Do compression test before removal. That'll tell you if your getting a rebuild kit or spending it on performance/reliability parts.

Up pipes +++MUST
Rebuild turbo
Wicked wheel 2
360 kit oil bearing etc
Waste gate controller
Oil pan drains / billet side plate dipstick
Headers ?
Oil cross over lines
Fuel return if possible
Ccv reroute
Aih delete
Ebvp delet

That was my list when I pulled my motor a few months ago for a front cover crack. I'd upgrade injectors / overhaul kit if I had extra money and could afford to be down if your having the motor out regardless.

2002 built forged7.3 350/200%| t4 w s468 | gearhead| BTS trans | 20* MB hpop| 6.4 conversion | 05 axle + 4link |PMF susp|

e1999 Tow pig 7.3 FF 160/100 | t4 w BASB Bell turbo | gearhead | adrenaline hpop| John woods Race trans|300k|

2003 ccsb stock 52k original owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode