First Day with the modified stock truck. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

First Day with the modified stock truck.

Good evening gents.

Today was my first day towing with the new mods. I have a 2001 F350 longbox crew cab. I tow a 14' tandem axle v nose trailer weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8k lbs loaded.

My mods thus far are :

Air Raid cold air intake from DP (I liked the setup it had for the battery)
4" straight pipe exhaust
Hydra tuner using basic tunes in the library

Everything on the truck is stock other than that. She has 300k miles runs like a top, and ate 12k in work last year (Ford rebuilt tranny, leaf springs, full front end rebuild, and the list goes on)

So my results for today were mixed.

Towing on fairly level to slight grade on the Interstate 70mph I was averaging
5-7psi boost
7-800 F EGT
180-210 transmission temp

I realized later on my transmission temp sensor wire was pretty close to the manifold and I think that may have been playing with the temp reading for that. I'll zip tie that in a better location tomorrow.

Now for my concerns. I understood I might get some turbo flutter due to the chip. It is pretty bad when it shifts gears and flutters quite a bit. If my turbo is not bad I'll be adding a wwII onto it. Is 5-7psi boost normal when cruising at 65? The highest I've seen her go was 20 psi and thats when I'm really pushing her. What is a normal transmission temperature when towing? I am also noticing a grindy kind of feel when I'm not accelerating hard but still have a little pressure on the pedal. I think I have a bad axle u joint and attributed it to that but maybe I'm wrong? Lastly when accelerating with some boost is it normal for her to switch to 2nd gear and loose boost pressure real quick and lag a bit taking off in second?

So please read this and give me any pointers or observations you experienced diesel motorheads care to disclose. I would definitely appreciate your wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
POWER Junkie

Re: First Day with the modified stock truck.

A billet wheel will solve all of your surge issues.
You need to get a 6.0 tranny cooler on there. I don't think you want your temps over 190 degrees or so for too long. Definitely not over 200. My temps never get more than 80 degrees over ambient temps.

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Forged
Irate T4 BASB, DIY Tymar, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR & banjos, Magnaflow TBE, GH tuned Hydra, 05 Harley's w/ HID conversion, Edge Insight CTS2, RiffRaff BRV & coolant filter, 20" Black Moto Metal, Dieselsite boots, JLR valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, ARP's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM
the stryker god

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD POWER007 View Post
A billet wheel will solve all of your surge issues.
You need to get a 6.0 tranny cooler on there. I don't think you want your temps over 190 degrees or so for too long. Definitely not over 200. My temps never get more than 80 degrees over ambient temps.
you can run 220 all day

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I actually replaced the tranny cooler coil a year ago with one twice the size of the oem. I think the wire being to close to the manifold is causing the temp spike.

As far as the turbo impeller goes. Would you guys advise WWII or Billet? I have also noted a number of diesel gurus suggesting an "ats" housing which increases air volume by 30% combined with the WWII. What do you think about that?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:32 AM
POWER Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
you can run 220 all day
YOU can run 220 tranny temps all day long. I will not again. I had to for a few days a couple summers ago and I didn't like the way it made my fluid smell nor the way it made my tranny shift.

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Forged
Irate T4 BASB, DIY Tymar, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR & banjos, Magnaflow TBE, GH tuned Hydra, 05 Harley's w/ HID conversion, Edge Insight CTS2, RiffRaff BRV & coolant filter, 20" Black Moto Metal, Dieselsite boots, JLR valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, ARP's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode