First time Tuner need tune help for Hyrda - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

First time Tuner need tune help for Hyrda

This is my 2nd time posting in here though I've used the forums for years :) I have an 01 350 7.3. I tow a tandem axle 14' trailer filled with several thousand pounds of tools, and since the old girl has 300k miles I decided I'd give her some power upgrades to make things easier. Thus far : cold air intake (not K&N :P) 4" straight pipe exhaust, a set of auto meter gauges trans temp, pyrometer and boost, and lastly a hydra chip.

The Hydra chip is my stumbling block. I am new to the tuning thing completely and was hoping some of you educated tuners could point to the better tunes in the hydra library for a stock 7.3

I'm aiming for an economy, towing, heavy towing, performance, high performance and smoke tune mix on the chip.

Now I must clarify I have no intention of smoking with the truck. But I want it just in case some liberal has the nerve to approach me at a Mcdonalds drive through and tell me to turn my truck off because the "fumes" were obnoxious (this is a 100% stock truck btw, clean exhaust no smoke etc). Next time that happens I'm going to be prepared with the smoke setting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: First time Tuner need tune help for Hyrda

you need the hex code to work with whatever PCM you have, then just go through the database and choose which files will work with that code, im sure theres a tutorial
on their page or something, just load it up with whatever tunes float your boat

2000 F250 ccsb 4x4. 218,000 miles, 38r 1.0 housing with turbo master, 238/80% FFD hybrids, BTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
riff raff FRx, Autometer C2 series gauges, DIY tymar, remote start, Hydra with GEARHEAD Tunes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm using the vraa tunes atm and they're ok. I don't like how hard the tranny shifts (auto) with it though. Could definitely be smoother. I purchased the hydra from totaldieselperformance.com - Tony Wildman based on a lot of good feedback I saw about him. He is out of town for 2 weeks atm though lol.... I'd like to get a proper tune into her sooner than that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 AM
PSN Veteran

You should be able to log into php database

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2000 F250 ccsb 4x4. 218,000 miles, 38r 1.0 housing with turbo master, 238/80% FFD hybrids, BTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
riff raff FRx, Autometer C2 series gauges, DIY tymar, remote start, Hydra with GEARHEAD Tunes
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM
PSN Newb

Try different tunes that are in the same family group for your hardware. Mine was an early 99 with the 402 dpc I found other tunes that shifted better than the ones for my hex code. That's the nice thing about the hydra is you can try different ones

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

E99 SCSB AFE stage 2, 4" turbo back exhaust, 140 v IDM mod, Hutch and Harpoon, DP tuner, Gauges, Firestone Air bags, 305 BFG all terrains, 08 rear diff cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode