Pad and Rotor suggestions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
PUNISHER EDITION F350

Pad and Rotor suggestions

I have a 03 2wd Excursion in need of new pads and rotors. My wife mostly uses it as a grocery getter in town but we do tow or 6k camper to Colorado every once and a while. I was going to get the powerstop rotors and ceramic scorched pads from rock auto for all for corners. Any one use those or have suggestions.

95 F350 CCLB W/HAND SHAKER
.20 OVER 7.3 W/COMP 912'S, D66, ADRENALINE, STAGE 1'S 3.5"DP, 4" DUALS, GAUGES, 35'S, FULL STEREO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:55 AM
PSN Local

Re: Pad and Rotor suggestions

Sorry about the confusion, I use powerslot rotors, not powerstop rotors. But I really like the combination for my vehicles. The Powerslot w Hawk pad is an amazing upgrade to the stock braking system on our trucks.
On Edit; I did some research on the Powerstop's and they are definitely and upgrade from the OE rotors. Ford did a pretty bad job on the brake system on these trucks, using inferior metals for the rotors. They are garbage that's for sure. I did 2 brake jobs on my 02 Ex, 1 at 15K and the second at 30K. After that I switched to the Powerslot's w hawk pads, I average about 4 times plus the mileage between brakes jobs as opposed to the OE rotors and pads. When you do the upgrade, the first thing you will notice is how much quicker/shorter your truck stop as well. Huge difference!...

Carlos Briceno
99.5 CC F-250 4X4 with Full engine Rebuild.
02 Excursion 4X4
03 SC F-250 4X4
/////////////.---. /////////
Oo..//.-----' --- '---. //////
OOo;.'-(o)------(o)-' ///

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Country ><> Amen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
PUNISHER EDITION F350

Anyone have any experience with these?
F R Kit Premier Series High Carbon Diamond Slot Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads R534 | eBay

95 F350 CCLB W/HAND SHAKER
.20 OVER 7.3 W/COMP 912'S, D66, ADRENALINE, STAGE 1'S 3.5"DP, 4" DUALS, GAUGES, 35'S, FULL STEREO

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 PM
PSN Local

+2 Powerslots

99 F-250 Super Duty, 4X4, CCSB. 400+ hp Black Mamba 7.3. Banks Tecni-cooler, 5" turbo-back. ATS 5 Star 4R100, TC & Billit flexplate. 4" lift, Fox Racing Shox, 35" Toyos. Rhino-lined rockers. Leer cap, Yakima rack. Ranch-Hand bumpers, Rigid Industries spots. ARB air lockers, 4.30 gears.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 AM
PSN Local

Ill be doing the powerstops

Cheaper and better than stock, far better than what i currently have on there

2002 f350 Lariat 4" lift w/ 35's. DP tuned. Swamps 175/146 injectors. gauges. 5" turbo back exhaust
B&W turnover/ Companion 5'er

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Caption This

There are no rotors that are better than OE rotors. You might improve the pad some depending on how you use your truck.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
There are no rotors that are better than OE rotors. You might improve the pad some depending on how you use your truck.
I did some research on the Rotors and Pads and it does appear that your on to something. I'm never to proud to admit when I'm wrong, and several articles that I just read are stating just that. I've had bad experiences with the Ford factory brakes, as many have. I do all my own brake jobs as well, and always follow the lug pattern rule when reinstalling the wheels as well. But I will also say that after switching to Powerslot Rotors and Hawk pads I've never experienced the issues I had with the OE rotors and say premium pads from AZ or Napa. I experimented one time installing hawk pads on the Ft w OE rotors and that didn't work either. I found myself doing the brakes again in about 30K. With the powerslot and hawk pads I get over 70K and easily and that's with towing miles included, the back brakes last twice that long. Slide pins always get cleaned and regreased at every brake job. At this point I just offer up my own experiences that I've had with the brakes on my 3 Superduties.
Tech Article: Warped Brake Discs

Carlos Briceno
02 Excursion 4X4
03 SC F-250 4X4

Country ><> Amen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I bought new OEM rotors and pads (my 06 front )
I was to leery to try aftermarket slotted and then not be able to turn them in the future

mine had a 103,000 miles on them the pads were close to done

but to my surprise Y could have slapped the new pads on the old rotors and been fine

they didn't even have a ridge I was impressed

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
PSN Local

I'm doing some research on a few different Rotor Manufacturers, and the technology and processes used to treat, harden that make Rotors more resistant to heat wear and cracking. I found that some companies namely ART and Hawk both use molybdenum Disulfide in the metallurgy process of there Rotors. PowerSlot; Cryogenically treating Rotors, a process where cycling cold and heat in a controlled environment is used to improve residual stress points left over from the casting process.
Centric Premium High Carbon Alloy Rotors
Centric 125 Series High Carbon Alloy Brake Rotors contain an advanced metallurgy that greatly reduces the possibility of pad squeal especially with higher friction, European style brake pad compounds. Proprietary Molybdenum and Chromium alloys resist rotor cracking during high performance use or repeat stop situations. This alloy also increases the friction couple improving brake performance and stopping power. Increased Chromium and Carbon content is also more resistant to oxidation
Some info I learned when working with Schaeffers oil.
Molybdenum Disulfide:
Here it is used as a steel additive. The more Moly you add to steel in the Metallurgical process the harder the steel will become, and it has a distinct ability to with-stand higher heat, as well as dissipate heat.

Molybdenum is an important alloying agent which contributes to the hardenability and toughness of quenched and tempered steels. It also improves the strength of steel at high temperatures. It is used in certain heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant nickel-based alloys.
Now throw in the Slotting on the Rotors and to me this sounds like a much better Product than the OE Ford rotors.
Also, If you put a quality Rotor and an OE Rotor side by side, the difference is very apparent. I can't speak for anyone else, but I will never go back to a Ford OE rotor. I can't find any Technical information on the Ford OE rotors, but I highly doubt they go thru any of these processes to build they're rotors.

Carlos Briceno
02 Excursion 4X4
03 SC F-250 4X4

Country ><> Amen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Cpattie

I always use OEM pads, and am thinking about trying some slotted/drilled rotors because they look cool. I have had good luck with them on other cars.

2005 CCSB 4X4 6.0 XLT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode