Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Problems on cold start

912 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bbteacher 
#1 ·
So, my 97 7.3 and cold starts. I originally thought the loud exhaust noise and no power when cold was the ebpv. I will go out in the morning and have to start it. I flip the ts chip to high idle and after about three to five minutes it goes from an incredibly loud roaring idle to the normal sound it has at idle. At that point it does great until I don't run it for a few hours. Now fast forward eight hours later when I leave work and I have to do the same thing. If I take off before it has mellowed down and the "roar" has went away then I blow black smoke on top of not being able to go above 15mph foot to the floor. It seems like the engine just gives out and when pushing on the gas it just roars really loud like it is saying, "I can't go". After about a mile and an idle at a stop it will just even out to normal. Now I thought it was the ebpv. Well, I went out tonight to finally get started on it and I see a freeze plug already in my ebpv and after further looking I realize it has already been deleted. I unplugged it as well. I just don't know what to do from here. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Also, it was in the 80's here when I got off work today and it still did this same thing on startup after work.

#3 ·
Maybe the EBPV is shut. Even though your pedestal is deleted the valve on the exhaust side could of moved and is stuck shut.

#4 ·
I will have to look but I also have noticed that on cold starts in the morning when I go out and turn the key for the WTS light the BRAKE light is also on. Does this mean anything? I have read that the BRAKE light is associated with the EBPV. Funny enough the brake light will turn on then but when I actually put the e brake on it does not turn on. I am going insane on how to remedy this problem.

#5 ·
Also, when I fire it up it sounds normal on the cold start. It is only making this roaring noise when it is in drive and given some gas or when I turn the Hi-Idle setting on my chip. I am at a loss.

#7 ·
Spray wd 40 and jiggle spring on ebake sensor...also check brake fluid level see if brake light goes away.

#8 ·
This was my stupidity, my ebpv was not deleted. I deleted it this past weekend. I was fooled because I saw the freeze plug on the part and thought it was deleted. This was my stupid part. Sorry for wasting your time guys. Update is that now that little craptastic part is deleted and it works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.