School me on Tuners & Chips - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

School me on Tuners & Chips

I have no experience when it comes to tuners, but looks like I may need to get a crash course due to CO emissions testing. Ive got a 99 model (mfg date 11-98) F350 7.3 PSD auto that I "believe" has a programmed tune. Theres no evidence of a chip, nor switch, nada for me to believe theres a plug in tuner on it. But it runs like a raped ape, & gets really good mileage. My emissions test is tonight (praying for a pass) & Ive put a new Magnaflow 60111 on it, fresh Rotella T6 oil change, air & fuel filters as well. Its still blowing a small amount of black smoke on hard acceleration, but clears pretty quickly. My question is, is there a plug in type tuner out there (that doesnt cost an arm & a leg) that I could buy with a stock tune & 1 or 2 performance driven tunes to change on the fly to get me by without damaging the module or the truck? Or is there a chip that can do the same thing? Im lost here, & have no idea which way to go. Besides move to an area diesel emissions exempt. Help me out Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: School me on Tuners & Chips

I believe my brother in-laws 01 7.3 PSD has a TS 6 position plug in type tuner, ( has a round knob that can be switched on the fly). Would this be a good way to go? If my module has a downloaded-pre set tune already, would I have to get it reflashed to stock before I would install the TS?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 PM
PSN Local

There are about a 1000 post like this under the search platform located up top in the menu bar , or.......hope this helps

Let me google that for you

03 7.3 with the new nose 8" and 37's 124k original and adding slowly

Sold - 00 X, 01 350, 02 350

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks. Answered alot of my questions. I still dont know if I buy the TS if it comes tuned with the basic 6 settings based on my truck, or it comes blank to be tuned after I get it by a tuner? Also dont know if my downloaded tune needs to be reflashed to stock before I install the TS? Seems BigStroker is the resident pro on this, but his PM's are full.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
PSN Local

TS comes with stock TS tunes on it. You can ship it off to any of the folks who burn for a TS style chip if you want more "custom" tuning. The chip will override whatever is on the PCM currently , so you can leave it as is if you like.

03 7.3 with the new nose 8" and 37's 124k original and adding slowly

Sold - 00 X, 01 350, 02 350
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So if I understand this correctly, The TS will come with the 6 basic tunes from TS based on my trucks info. Also any pre downloaded tune thats already in the PCM will get overridden with the stock option on the TS? Sorry,Im techy illiterate...LMAO. Thx Scagle1!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Rock Steady

Chip comparison and discussion links. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

2000 F-450 Dump NLTD tunes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Good old truck! She passed with flying colors! 20hp downloaded tune & all. Ran 222.5 hp @ 60mph & 10% opacity...1750 ft lb torque. Still going to get the pcm reflashed to stock & get the TS-6 done within the next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode