Buying a Superduty, suggestions please! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
JB welder

Buying a Superduty, suggestions please!

Well I sold my old 97 powerstroke and now I'm ready to get me a Superduty! I'm torn between the 6.0 and the 7.3. I understand the 6.0 had its fair share of issues but after the head studs, egr delete and a new head gasket I've heard they are really good trucks. The 99+ 7.3 is known for its reliability but the automatic transmissions were the weak link.

I'm wanting to spend around $15k and this truck will be used to haul stuff on the weekends and occasionally pull a skid steer on a gosse neck. It will not be a daily driver but more of a toy. I'd prefer stock performance and I will tube as I see fit. My hp goal is around 450.

That all being said what is a good platform to start with?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1997 OBS 7.3 crew cab 4x4, ccv mod, CAI, 3" mbrp downpipe, 3.5" exhaust turned out at rear door,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Bobs 7.3

Re: Buying a Superduty, suggestions please!

If your shooting for 450hp its better to get a later 99 to 01 with forged rods as they will hold that power better then the pmr engines at 450hp in late 01 and on unless someone put a forged rod engine in and can prove it. you can drop in a bts tranny and converter and its then just as reliable as the 7.3 engine but The 4r100 behind the 7.3 is a good tranny at stock power levels and needs atleast a 6.0 cooler,valve body, and triple disc converter when the juice is turned up but no way is it a weak link compared to alot of other trannies out there. Its personal preverance as Id never own a 6.0 just for the fact that I hate fixing the factories screw ups at my expense but they are good engines after you get the bugs out of them. Lots or torque and hp there to unleash just depends on how much you want to spend on fixing factory screw ups.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
JB welder

I was under the impression that 02 had forged rods as well but I could be wrong. Also I've seen several 6.0s for sale that have already had the egr delete head studs and what not fixed and as long as the owners haven't "lost" the receipts for that work then I believe that would be a decent place to start, correct? Plus I love the sound of a nice straight piped 6.0!

1997 OBS 7.3 crew cab 4x4, ccv mod, CAI, 3" mbrp downpipe, 3.5" exhaust turned out at rear door,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Bobs 7.3

sometime in 2000 they started putting pmr engines in and dealers say in 01 and definatly 02 they were all pmr engines but yet some have found 01 and 02s with forged rod engines for some odd reason but we cant always believe the dealers much. a 6.0 with all the deletes and head studs and such done with proof they been done is a good start too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Goneracin

If I remember correctly the supposed build date was October of 2001 when they switched to PMR rods, but a better way is to go by the engine SN or look through an inspection plug on the block.

2001 F-250 7.3L auto

Suspension stuff, engine stuff, reliability stuff...
Some other stuff I'm forgetting...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM
PSN Veteran

i would go with a 6.0 if you will do the work the right way....(my way) haha just kidding... but seriously for a 6.0 I would pull the cab, pull the heads get the heads decked flat, check and double check bloc surface for flatness and imperfections. if any at all pull it and get it resurfaced. go with ARPs. and a good EGR delete and do all the other little 6.0 bullet proofing tricks while your there.. oil cooler and what not too. Then get it tuned by a good tuner to get the tranny working properly and the power to where you want it.

If you don't want to do all that then go with a 7.3 truck with forged rods. though some sticks in it and a 38r get some tunes and a convertor and v/b and your good to go.

I/ve done both. I like spending my money more on Harleys and my race cars so I just go with a mild build 7.3 under 400rwhp and a 6 speed. ive built th3 6.0 and the 7.3s to over 500rwhp and for me and how I use my trucks its just a waste of my money and a waste of reliability so now I keep my trucks I build under or around 400rwhp. plenty to play with and work with but not sacrificing reliability or drivability at all.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Bobs 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuller View Post
i would go with a 6.0 if you will do the work the right way....(my way) haha just kidding... but seriously for a 6.0 I would pull the cab, pull the heads get the heads decked flat, check and double check bloc surface for flatness and imperfections. if any at all pull it and get it resurfaced. go with ARPs. and a good EGR delete and do all the other little 6.0 bullet proofing tricks while your there.. oil cooler and what not too. Then get it tuned by a good tuner to get the tranny working properly and the power to where you want it.

If you don't want to do all that then go with a 7.3 truck with forged rods. though some sticks in it and a 38r get some tunes and a convertor and v/b and your good to go.

I/ve done both. I like spending my money more on Harleys and my race cars so I just go with a mild build 7.3 under 400rwhp and a 6 speed. ive built th3 6.0 and the 7.3s to over 500rwhp and for me and how I use my trucks its just a waste of my money and a waste of reliability so now I keep my trucks I build under or around 400rwhp. plenty to play with and work with but not sacrificing reliability or drivability at all.
very well said. Alot has to do with how much you want to spend and what the truck is used for.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
JB welder

I can find nice 6.0s with all of the bulletproofing done for around 14k and around 150k miles were as the 7.3s with nothing done and similar miles are going for around $17k. I think the bad rep of the 6 liter helps keep the price down

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 AM
PSN Local

I'd have a hot chipped 6.0 in a heartbeat if I had the money to pay a shop to fix it when it breaks.... in general 7.3's are just much easier to work on so no pulling the cab for me.

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode