Front end suggestions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Front end suggestions

2001 F350 DRW. My truck is at 204k on the ticker and it's time to redo the front end with all new stuff. Shocks, hubs, bearings, ball joints, stabilizers, steering box, etc etc. This truck will be hanging around for another 400k miles or more so I'm trying to get it on par with stock or slightly better then stock stuff. It's main purpose will be to tow a race car and taking engines to and from the machine shop. I've never done anything suspension wise on a diesel or on a 1 ton for that matter so asking for help and suggestions on what is the best bang for my buck to put on here to get this thing running nice again.

2001 F350 CCLB DRW- Edge Insight CTS, 4" MBRP turbo back, AFE Stg 2 XP, Mag-hytech trans pan, Dieselsite wastegate controller, Dieselsite HPOP adapter plate, Dieselsite thermostat housing, Dieselsite coolant filter system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Luddite in Charge

Re: Front end suggestions

Suspension wise it's the same outer wrapper as any gasser. Moog, Spicer, TRW, Precision are all good names for the suspension parts. Heavier duty shocks would be Billstein, Rancho, and KYB are more lift oriented but Monroe and Gabriel (and I'm sure the others) make HD/truck lines as well. Warn or MileMaster for the replacement hubs, with emphasis on Warn.

Go to one of the fast food auto stoers and have them scan it for codes. See if anything comes up. At 204k your injectors might be ready for some PM'ing to prevent a bigger pile of poop down the road. There's several threads here and YouTube vids on this. Search out "injector stiction". If it idles fine and gives you good power and turbo spool on the highway then just keep putting fuel in it and changing the oil.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Bobs 7.3

Best thing is to trash the unit bearings and put in a fixed spindle conversion and they will even come with new locking hubs and u-joints as then you wont be taken by the prone junk unit bearings going out and can just re-pack and reinstall the bearings once a year for the next 20 years. As far as balljoints the stock one tons are reliable enough to last 100,000 miles plus. Id do inner axle seals while I was that far into the front end as they will start leaking sooner or later at that miledge. As far as steering box just get a red-head and forget it as i just put one on my 02 and it handles like rack n pinion steering with no play what so ever and no wander at all and its guaranteed no play or wander. If I knew they were so nice I would have installed one the day I brought my truck home. Shocks I use skyjackers but there more of a lifted shock.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 AM
PSN Local

Mine's not 4X4 and I'm certainly NO expert at all on suspension related stuff unless were talking drag racing and even then I'm light duty. My truck has 224,000 miles and I use it about the same as yours though and I just did mine so I thought I'd chime in with the recent list added...

Powerslot rotors/HD pads - REALLY like the improvement over stock !
Moog ball joints and tie rods
repacked wheel bearings
KYB shocks

I also recently replaced the Firestone Transforce tires with Falken Wildpeak HT's, so the truck "feels" about as good/tight as I could make it. Well I can see from Bob's post above what I'm missing from the equation, The red head. Mine still has a bit of wander and just a touch of on center "flat/dead spot" that I dont like, so I'm guessing that will cure what ails me :)

02 Excursion Limited PMR 7.3 WW2 , 6637, XCal3/EDGE CTS, 4 inch DP/muffler delete exhaust, 5 inch tip, slotted and cross drilled rotors, EBC pads...
90 Mustang Hatch 351/5 spd
91 Mustang GT 306 H/C/I T56 6 spd
92 Mustang SSP 408/Nitrous
93 Mustang Vert 306 H/C/I
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Bobs 7.3

the nice thing about the red head also is that its cheaper then even a reman and guaranteed no slop or play. I went threw 3 different reman boxes then finally took the third back as I was sick of those remans wandering right out of the box after getting the red head and got all my $430.00 back (including core money.)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
PSN Local

All good information, I just picked up a 1997 350 DRW with 244 a few months back to pull my race car on the weekends. Going to be going through here soon and doing the front end also, so this helps! I will be putting some new injectors and turbo also when the time comes. I need this thing to be bullet proof while out on the road!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM
PSN Veteran

I'm sure Red head makes a good box but they need to up their warranty to reflect the price they ask. I ran a $150 Napa reman on my 01 F250 with zero issues for 6 years now. Still has tight steering after 80,000 miles. If it get sloppy, the lifetime warranty will take care of it. Red heads come with a 1 year. Plus Napa stocks them so there is no down time waiting for parts.

2001 F250 ECSB (FOR SALE)
Walker BTM

2001 F350 CCSB
Ford AIS with Zoodad mod & Sleeve
Dorman Bellowed Uppies
Autometer Factory Match
Terminator T500
Hutch and Harpooned
CCV Mod
PHP Hydra
BTS Valve Body & PI Stallion
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back
Riff Raff Billet Wheel and FRX
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Bobs 7.3

150 at napa? you must get a discount cause here in pa the napa reman is 380 with a core or 525 without a core. The readhead was 350 with a core and they machine the housings and install needle bearings to eliminate the worn housing and wander problems. All and I say all because they all rebuild these boxes with new seals and adjust and hand them to you with no machining and installing needle bearings or sleeves for the shafts to ride in to eliminate the main problem and failure points of these boxes. Grant it my stocker went 10 years and 150,000 miles so with the shortcuts taken out that red head does it will outlast the truck with or without a guarantee. I had the lifetime remans and after the 3rd one got sick of installing them and having play right out of the box. Just a crap set up from the begining.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
PSN Veteran

NAPA AUTO PARTS

$157 for walk in customers. Just stating my experience with this particular box. Not saying you can't get a bad one but that holds true for the Red Head also. I've seen a few post on here where the Red Heads had problems from the get go. Not at all saying they are a bad product but for the money, I would expect a better warranty.

2001 F250 ECSB (FOR SALE)
Walker BTM

2001 F350 CCSB
Ford AIS with Zoodad mod & Sleeve
Dorman Bellowed Uppies
Autometer Factory Match
Terminator T500
Hutch and Harpooned
CCV Mod
PHP Hydra
BTS Valve Body & PI Stallion
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back
Riff Raff Billet Wheel and FRX
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Luddite in Charge

Another core that costs more than the working item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_20140430_091726.jpg (13.9 KB, 33 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode