Gauge help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Gauge help

I need some opinions here, and would appreciate any help. I installed gauges last week ( boost, pyro, and trans temp) on my 02 7.3 I went with Glow Shift (I know, cheap) because I already have the Torque App and didn't want to spend much money, just want more convent readings. When I went to install them I couldn't remember exactly where to put the trans temp probe, I remembered, or the directions said something about a test port. So I looked around, didn't see one, and didn't have internet available, so I called the Ford dealer. They told me that there is no such port on a 4R100. So, with that I dropped the pan, drilled, cleaned, and installed the proper fittings placing the probe fairly close to the top of the pan. Today I had my Torque app going and saw there was quite a difference between that and the gauge ( gauge read about 110- 120 and Torque was saying 150- 160). I decided to look up installation and found the high press test port on the drivers side. Should I move the probe to that, or leave it in the pan? Is the oil in the pan that much cooler? Or is the difference because of a cheap gauge? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Gauge help

Anybody know where the computer gets it's temp reading? My guess is that It reads the temp of the oil leaving the trans to the cooler? So my aftermarket gauge is reading the oil temp after the oil has been to the cooler and back, waiting to be pumped back through the trans.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM
PSN Local

Test port is on driver side.. It's near the harness that plugs into the trans iirc.

E99 f250 2wd cclb,257k, tymar intake, stock turbo w/ riffraff billet wheel, PIS 230/100,regulated return, hbjr, pmt1, hydra w/dynoproven and powerstruck tunes, 140v Idm, 4" exhuast, isspro's, ccv, ebpv delete, jwvb w/6.0 cooler
Coming soon: BASB

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Bobs 7.3

Yep its just a plug you take out and install the sensor.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Bobs 7.3

I wouldnt go to that ford dealer for anything.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan444 View Post
Anybody know where the computer gets it's temp reading? My guess is that It reads the temp of the oil leaving the trans to the cooler? So my aftermarket gauge is reading the oil temp after the oil has been to the cooler and back, waiting to be pumped back through the trans.
on my 4r75 the temp sensor looked like a resistor in the internal wire harness and nothing like a traditional sensor

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 PM
PSN Veteran

The PCM reading for trans temp will always be higher than anywhere you put that sensor on the transmission (test port, pan, etc.). The reason for this is because the PCM gets it's reading from the solenoid body, which is hotter than anywhere you can install your sensor.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys! I think I'm just going to leave it in the pan. The test port should read the same anyway because I guess the oil only goes through the pump before going past the test port.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Village Idiot

If you add more guages hit up dieselmanor..
great install sheets...good prices too.

that tranny location is on there for sure.
ir will read higher at the test plug then the fluid res.

it is like having the egt in the down pipe..it reads temps but is a bit lower then the common locatiin.
you have to do a little math or just know the limits.

but if you aadd fuel pressure etc they will have the install sheets.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode