99 7.3 Emissions help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

99 7.3 Emissions help

Hi! New to the forum, yet heard great things about the site. Ive got an early 99 (11-98) 7.3 PSD F350 crew that I found out needs a cat converter (yuck) to pass Colorado Springs,CO emission inspection. Ive narrowed down to purchasing a Magnaflow #60111 to remedy this issue & plan to change the oil, air, & fuel filter to help it pass. It has a custom downloaded tune that just rocks with power & mileage for pulling right now. My concern is that it does roll a small amount of "coal" when really getting on it, but clears almost immediately afterwards. Mostly with an older oil change it seems. What are my chances that it will pass with the cat & maintenance work done as is with the tune? Seems to me all the Emissions shop does is roll it up onto the dyno, tramp it, & take a reading from what I saw. How far off am I? Thanks, NN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 AM
PSN Local

Re: 99 7.3 Emissions help

In CO, their diesel emissions test is an opacity or smoke test. They are looking for smoke. If you are "rolling coal", you are probably going to fail. Any way to take the tune off for your next emissions test.

2005 F250 CCSB FX4 6.0
2003 Excursion 6.0 4WD
1997 F350 CCLB 4WD 7.3
1996 F250 SCLB 4WD 7.3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Bobs 7.3

If you want tunes and still pass emissions get that tune off there and get a 6 position ts chip or hydra chip both with the stock tune as one setting and just put it on the stock setting to get the emissions done. Then when you leave turn it up and enjoy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It currently has a downloaded tune with no evidence of an external chip or knob, whatsoever. My concern is I may need to find a shop with a stock tune where Im going to lose whats there now, which is a great tune. The shop Exhaust Readers where I am intending to take it to said they would work with me on it after the cat is installed,& I do the maintenence stuff prior to the test. But who knows what that means.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

They also said some smoke is OK, as long as it clears after a certain time period, from what the tech advised me. It smokes very little on a hard pull after warm with a fresh oil change, the older the oil change is, the more it seems to smoke, but always clears relatively quickly as well.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Bobs 7.3

Theres 2 different kinds of smoke your reffering to here. One is with a hot tune some will smoke black as thats the unburnt fuel smoke but most tuners tune to having the proper fuel mixture at any given throttle so as soon as the turbo lights up the black smoke clears as the mixture is the right percent of fuel and air. The other smoke your seeming to reefer to is all I can think of is burning oil smoke as with fresh oil its thicker and tends to burn less from worn rings,valve seals ect ect. The oil change will not change how much smoke a certain tune puts out or affect the fuel delivery system except on a cold start up as a 5w oil will flow better then 15w oil therefor the 5w oil helps worn injectors on a cold start but doesnt affect how much fuel is delivered at any given time. Thats all controlled by the pcm or chip or tune thats downloaded.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Its black (unburnt) fuel smoke Im sure. Clears after a hard acceleration, I refer it to "Bettsie Farting" when I get on it. Got my Magnaflow #60111 purchased yesterday for $278 shipped. Got one hell of a promo thru Amazon towards the purchase. Saved me $89 off purchase price of $365 normally. Now Im trying to find a 4" 2nd section of pipe that & can have it welded to. Contacted Magnaflow to see if I can purchase the 2nd section only (after the 4" turbo downpipe that bypasses the stock cat location) with the 1st hanger on it, so I can remove it after the test & store it away. Maybe Im better off having a shop custom fit that section with the new cat? Thoughts?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Found a shop thats willing to measure the staight section just before the muffler & fab up a new section with the cat welded in so I can install it at home. Find out tomorrow what the fab work is going to run, change the oil, filter, air & fuel filters & hope for the best for next weeks test.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
the stryker god

I passed Washington states test with 160/100's and a 38r in a 375 horse tune. You shouldn't have a problem
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
PSN Newb

I had that problem in cali just order the ts 6 pos of amazon for 200 and put it on stock and then you can send the chip out to get it tuned by anyone they way you want it just leave the stock but also I got luck o left cali and moved back to va were I don't half to worry about emissions any more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode