experienced advice wanted on adding hp for towing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

experienced advice wanted on adding hp for towing

I have had my truck now for 3 years. I want to safety add some power to my truck. When I am hauling, whether it's with a trailer, or just a load of fire wood in the bed, it pulls down more than I want or like.
I have been looking and reading up on adding power to her for about a year now. I think I am ready to start ordering parts, but I wanted to run it by you guys first, to see what people that have been in this for some time think about my plan. If I have something wrong or need to change something please let me know and why.

Truck is,
2000, f250, 7.3, ZF6, 4x4

Due to budget it will mostly be one at a time.
But this is my list of things to do in order.

MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust
6637 air intake kit
regulated fuel return kit
Bellowed up pipes
Garrett EBPV delete turbo pedestal
Gerrett 38R turbo
New set of injectors, (stock split shot or stage 1 single shot)
6 position tune

Ok, so am i missing any thing or need to change anything?
Thank you for your help and advice.

2000 F250 7.3 ZF6 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM
PSN Local

Re: experienced advice wanted on adding hp for towing

If your on a really tight budget forget the rr fuel and the ebpv delete...if your gonna stay with stage 1's or stock. Gauges are a must with bigger sticks along with good custom tunes. Safe+more power don't really go together but I know quite a few people with 200k+ miles being chipped. The only people I personally know over the 400k mile mark have bone stock trucks but whats the fun in that....

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 AM
7.3L strokin'

X2 on the gauges! You really wanna know what your boost and most importantly, your EGTs are, especially if you're towing.

Lane Hahn
02 F350 super cab 6spd DRW 2wd.
straight pipe exhaust w/ 8" rolled tip
6637 intake
bellowed up-pipes
Hutch mod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
PSN Local

What do you have now? If stock, get the basic intake, exhaust, gauges and chip and feel the difference. You may not need to get as in depth as you're thinking if you're stock right now.

01 f250CCSB, 285/75/16 GY duratracs, 4 inch diamond eye straight pipe, riff raff 6637, php Phoenix chip, isspro EGT gauge and torque app.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM
POWER Junkie

6637 intake, muffler delete or walker muffler, EGT gauge at least, custom tuned chip, valve body, and 6.0 cooler. Add a WW2 and you will be surprised how much just that will help. Then a little down the road you can do the turbo, injectors, and HPOP. And it most definitely won't hurt to adjust your wastegate arm so that it has maximum preload.

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Forged
Irate T4 BASB, DIY Tymar, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR & banjos, Magnaflow TBE, GH tuned Hydra, 05 Harley's w/ HID conversion, Edge Insight CTS2, RiffRaff BRV & coolant filter, 20" Black Moto Metal, Dieselsite boots, JLR valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, ARP's
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
PSN Local

how do you know if your wastegate is bleeding off prematurely?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 4x4 CCSB, Napa 6637 Air Filter, Diamond Eye 4in Turbo Back, TS 6 Pos with "Canned Tunes" for now,
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well I say safely with the understanding that when adding power there is a risk. I just don't want to do something that is a no-no out of ignorance.

My budget won't let me buy everything at once but it won't hurt me to buy things as I go.

I plan on putting a boost gauge and EGT gauge on the truck. If there is any other gauge I should seriously consider please let me know.

Truck is totally stock right now. With right at 200K on it not figured it could use injectors and a turbo. And I'm the type of guy that if I'm replacing it, might as well go bigger or better.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Goneracin

As for other gauges, oil temp probably isn't a bad idea, but not absolutely needed.

And for the turbo and injectors, there is nothing wrong with going bigger, it just costs more. You would be amazed how much of a difference it makes to rebuild the turbo, upgrade the thrust bearing to a 360 version, and put on a new billet wheel like WW2 or RiffRaff. The decision is yours of course, but I just rebuilt my turbo and did some maintenance while I was in there. all in all I was under $500 and the truck is much much better, especially with a trailer full of wood.

2001 F-250 7.3L auto

Suspension stuff, engine stuff, reliability stuff...
Some other stuff I'm forgetting...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM
the stryker god

not a bad lookin list, don't waste 500 dollars on a stock turbo. Too many 66mm drop ins for cheap to be spendin 500 on a turbo that is stock. If you need a 3rd gauge i'd suggest a fuel pressure guage
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Bobs 7.3

Might want a trans temp gauge as youll be towing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode