advise about turbo rebuild and up-pipes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

advise about turbo rebuild and up-pipes

99 f250--

my flex plate cracked, so I have trans out and was reading about bellowed up-pipes and assuming they would be easier to change while trans is out and do they really need to be changed, around the upper claps there is about 2 inches of black soot all they way around pipe, how much power am I loosing from a leak like that, will I notice the diff with new up pipes.
and as far as my turbo goes, my turbine has a little up and down play, im sure any play is not good, but how much is way to much, it barely moves, you can feel it, and maybe see it move a little, very slight visual movement

so my questions

1-how much harder to change up-pipes with trans in, (I would love to do it now but money is always an issue, plus I need to get truck back on road) If its A LOT easier with trans out I will have to come up with the money to get pipes, and will it make mush of a diff in HP

2-turbo-whats the best/cheapest way to fix, will a rebuild kit include bearings, should I upgrade turbine while im in there, is it something that needs to be done now or could it what, I bought the truck used w/ 190,000 about 3 years ago and only put about 15,000 miles on it, It has more turbo wine that any of my other trucks, but I got them new

3- are there any other upgrades I should do with trans out and if I get into turbo.

I have 6 stage chip
pillar gauges
just has billet TC rebuilt to put back in
air heater eliminated-to use hole for boost psi
6.0 trans cooler
stage 1 injectors

planning on doing 6637 and ccv soon

thank you for help, jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Terminator Nation

Re: advise about turbo rebuild and up-pipes

Its a lot easier, especially if you break a rusty old bolt.

On my 400hp truck, changing the uppipes, the truck went from 356hp to 399.8hp on the same dyno.

An exhaust system would be nice since you have a SD.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ive also read alot about diff brands, Im planning on going with dorman, it seems they had the bolt/thread thing fixed and price is an issue, I already have about 500.00 into this with FP, billet TC, seals, carrier bearing, I would also like to do the turbo while its apart.

another question I have is the waste gate I understand what it does, but what do the adjustments to stock do or replacing??

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Goneracin

me personally, I would do a turbo rebuild while you are in there. The 360 thrust bearing upgrade from Barder Turbo Service will help with longevity at higher boost levels. If you want to do a wheel, now would be the time. I just did the billet wheel from RiffRaff and it made a very nice improvement. It really all comes down to cost, but at $93 for the rebuild, I would do that for sure.

2001 F-250 7.3L auto

Suspension stuff, engine stuff, reliability stuff...
Some other stuff I'm forgetting...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

I would do what goneracin said about the turbo. And with the up pipes I just did mine yesterday with all stock stuff. If I was to do them again I would said up and get the bellowed pipes because it was a PITA.

2001 F250 CCLB, PHP Hydra, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust and rear air bags

97' F250 ECLB, 7.3, Baby Swamps, Hydra w/swamps tunes, 6637, 3"dp 4" straight, Dana 60, 2.25 PMF RSK, Built Trans & Cooler, DIY efuel
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

*saved up
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
PSN Local

I second the 360 thrust bearing kit and RR billet wheel

E99 F-250 Mfd Jan 98, 6637, 6fin billet comp wheel, from riffraff.com, stage I & II ebp delete, 86ed, ScanGauge II, TJM bull bar, bosch field burners, 4" downpipe 4" single stack, Hutch n Harpoon Mod, galaxy dx 44v, PHP Hyrda

E99, F350 CCLB, DRW, RR comp wheel, Superchip 1705, couple other mods

chris
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Bobs 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
me personally, I would do a turbo rebuild while you are in there. The 360 thrust bearing upgrade from Barder Turbo Service will help with longevity at higher boost levels. If you want to do a wheel, now would be the time. I just did the billet wheel from RiffRaff and it made a very nice improvement. It really all comes down to cost, but at $93 for the rebuild, I would do that for sure.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

gonna order Dorman up-pipes from rockauto, 180.00, you guys are talking about RR billit wheel from RR, any input about the WW2, something about taking away surge(whatever that is)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

when towing Ive noticed low boost and high egt's, Im guessing this could be due to the turbo, and leaking up-pipes. I had an 01 f250 w/ chip and gauges, and I remember ALOT more power, I don't remember boost levels from that truck my 99 that I got now I don't think Ive ever seen boost levels over 22, I always thought maybe I did something wrong when I installed boost gauge AIH hole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode