Looking for more - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
powerstroke Newb

Looking for more

Hey psn family so as I get into doing my truck and I have come to the transmission. Now that bad boy is getting rebuilt, but I want more gears because I was told that would jump up my mpg so what way should I go and what to buy to get me there. Thanks you guys for the help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 F-250, CC, LB, 4x4 Spartan tuner and all stock for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 AM
whistle tits

Re: Looking for more

Not sure how you're going to add more gears to a transmission... is it a 6 speed or an auto? What gears do you have in your rear end?

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Gear Vendors Overdrive

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Terminator Nation

Well then, install the overdrive and take the installed cost over the fuel saved and calculate just how many years it takes to pay off.

There's a fuel economy section on this site.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
powerstroke Newb

Thanks guys I am not sure but the rear end is a dana 80 and its an auto so 4.33 ? I have heard something about Gear Vendors overdrive, do I get to keep my transmission?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John K
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 PM
whistle tits

Should have 3:73's or 4:10's I would think

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroker350 View Post
Thanks guys I am not sure but the rear end is a dana 80 and its an auto so 4.33 ? I have heard something about Gear Vendors overdrive, do I get to keep my transmission?

Yes , goes in between. Someone else had a recent thread with theirs they just installed and iirc he gained 3 mpg on highway driving. It is expensive though and if you do the math it will probably take you a longtime to recoup. I think he drove alot and was figuring 2 years. Dont know which forum i saw the thread on but it is within the last month.
We have ranger o/d offering 27% od on an old FJ which is way cheaper but i believe it is for manuals only.

03 7.3 with the new nose 8" and 37's 124k original and adding slowly

Sold - 00 X, 01 350, 02 350
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
PSN Local

Gear Vendors goes on the tail end of your transfer case w an adapter, the drive shaft is then shortened and your good to go. I've been looking at this as well. It would be nice to split all the gears and have double OD. With 3:73 gears and stock tires at about 70 mph our trucks tach around 2000 rpm. This is the sweet spot for the 7.3, anything over that rpm range and our fuel economy starts to dwindle. But realistically, who drives 70 on the open road. I sure don't. Heck, the speed limit on some highways in Texas is up to 80 mph, So double over would be a dream on the open road. Not to mention being able to split that big drop between 3rd to 4th that is apart of the 4r100's dna. Good luck with your install.

Carlos Briceno
99.5 CC F-250 4X4 with Full engine Rebuild.
02 Excursion 4X4
03 SC F-250 4X4
/////////////.---. /////////
Oo..//.-----' --- '---. //////
OOo;.'-(o)------(o)-' ///

Country ><> Amen
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
powerstroke Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
Gear Vendors goes on the tail end of your transfer case w an adapter, the drive shaft is then shortened and your good to go. I've been looking at this as well. It would be nice to split all the gears and have double OD. With 3:73 gears and stock tires at about 70 mph our trucks tach around 2000 rpm. This is the sweet spot for the 7.3, anything over that rpm range and our fuel economy starts to dwindle. But realistically, who drives 70 on the open road. I sure don't. Heck, the speed limit on some highways in Texas is up to 80 mph, So double over would be a dream on the open road. Not to mention being able to split that big drop between 3rd to 4th that is apart of the 4r100's dna. Good luck with your install.
Thanks country that is what I wanted to hear I live in Michigan just north of Detroit so I do a lot of highway driving most of the time with a trailer

John K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode