Pre-pump water separator kit/set up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Send a message via Skype™ to togo
Exclamation Pre-pump water separator kit/set up

The best Pre-pump water separator kit for 2001 7.3 crew .....I'm not good at DIY modification , is there a good kit out there without dropping the tank...as airdog and fass are so expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Pre-pump water separator kit/set up

There are a few kits out there but its a waste of time without dropping the tank and eliminating the problematic in tank filter/mixing chamber

2001 F250 ECSB (FOR SALE)
Walker BTM

2001 F350 CCSB
Ford AIS with Zoodad mod & Sleeve
Dorman Bellowed Uppies
Autometer Factory Match
Terminator T500
Hutch and Harpooned
CCV Mod
PHP Hydra
BTS Valve Body & PI Stallion
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back
Riff Raff Billet Wheel and FRX
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 AM
PSN Newb

"airdog and fass are so expensive "

Do the in-tank mods and harpoon, new hose to pump, and NAPA mount head w/water separation filter. You will save money, smile as you drive with a quieter engine. Only way to go!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Village Idiot

Strictly Diesel - Diesel Performance Parts

and martysdiesel have good fuel systems.

give each one of them a call when your situation and see who has the best option.

also worth a mention is you may not have to drop the tank. taking off the bed may be a better option if you have a full tank.

there are also some good YouTube videos of the hutch and harpoon mods that may help you take on more then you thought you could.

or depending on where you live there may be a shop to do that for you.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Thank u very much... I definitively will drop the tank.... however, this is my other reality that I forgot to mention....my truck is currently in west Africa, the fuel here is known to be contaminated... a lot of water and dirt any advice on best filtration kits...water is what I'm fearing most
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by togo View Post
my truck is currently in west Africa, the fuel here is known to be contaminated
While on 'holiday' in the Liberia and Ivory Coast region of W. Africa, our Isuzu and Nissan trucks had improvised separators scabbed off Volvo tractor trailer cabs with pumps, filters, and separators mounted in the beds. I remember inquiring what this is and why and was shown a 20 litre plastic jug of brown/yellow fuel with about an inch of sandy water on the bottom. I only offer this insight so guys on this site understand the gravity of what you mean by 'contaminated fuel' and I think a strict tolerance performance filter like that made by FASS or Airdog would clog within a day of use. Depending on what you're doing over there this could create a situation where a truck that won't go vroom equals doom.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Thank u very much..I'm so glad somebody understand my challenge...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Luddite in Charge

I don't know what kind of 'time at liberty' you have in a week's span, but even just the most primitive of pre-filtration will help... Screen/filter it from one jug to another and just like with percolated coffee leave the last inch in the jug. I think I should clarify for others reading this - Out in the bushlands there are no pumps with Bureau of Weights and Measures stickers verifying that the pump's discharged volume is accurate... Funnels are the nozzle and the warlord in the next province over decides the price per liter and how badly it's cut with water.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Village Idiot

On the boat we used a baja filter before it hit the tank...thing big funnel big mesh screen.

then we had an added course filter water separator...iirc the filter was 100 micron ...then it hit the 30 and a 10.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Luddite in Charge

Already admitting that you're not too DIY friendly, it's gonna have to be as keep it simple as possible. This means you're gonna have to do your best to purify what goes in the tank prior to it going in the tank. Like SouthMike said, screen it for sediments with whatever you have on hand - old gauze if need be - and prior to any disturbance make sure the water is all settled out.

On the flip side of your non-DIY issue, if someone in your party can beg, borrow, or steal a complete unit off a truck/tractor you'd be in business. Then it's only a simple matter of teeing it inline, maybe even eliminating the Ford pump altogether depending on what you get your hands on. To others reading this, keep in mind your friendly neighborhood NAPA dealer isn't on every corner and I don't know what Summit or Jegs charges to ship to Africa so this is gonna be as custom as modifications get. Dare I accurately and appropriately use the politically incorrect euphemism 'African Engineered' in a non offensive manner for once.

One thing you have going for you is the 7.3 is more forgiving than the later motors when it comes to what you feed it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode