Upgrades for 7.3 while out truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Upgrades for 7.3 while out truck

Im looking for some upgrades to do while my 7.3 is pulled out the truck. Im doing all new engine gaskets now,and pistons. The truck is stock besides intake. My question is what mods should i do before sticking her back in the truck? Im thinking of shooting for the 450-500 hp mark because i have forged rods. I have until september to be put back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Upgrades for 7.3 while out truck

Start with tunes from either dp tuner or dyno proven, a 38r, 238/100 from P.I.S. And a honey badger jr. From Jonathan at dyno proven
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsonly View Post
Im looking for some upgrades to do while my 7.3 is pulled out the truck. Im doing all new engine gaskets now,and pistons. The truck is stock besides intake. My question is what mods should i do before sticking her back in the truck? Im thinking of shooting for the 450-500 hp mark because i have forged rods. I have until september to be put back in.
keep in mind that new/fresh/unseasoned stock head gaskets (even with studs) are going to be iffy at that power level.

you may need to take it easy w/ the power and do several stud re-torques...or fire ring it.

We have an engine dyno service if you're local enough or interested in running it in on our dyno before installing it in the chassis.

We provide all sensors, wiring, accessories, fuel/oil/filters and can retorque the studs after initial break in, as well as provide leakdown and compression numbers after the dyno runs.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
keep in mind that new/fresh/unseasoned stock head gaskets (even with studs) are going to be iffy at that power level.

you may need to take it easy w/ the power and do several stud re-torques...or fire ring it.

We have an engine dyno service if you're local enough or interested in running it in on our dyno before installing it in the chassis.

We provide all sensors, wiring, accessories, fuel/oil/filters and can retorque the studs after initial break in, as well as provide leakdown and compression numbers after the dyno runs.
I don't want to do all upgrades straight on the new head gasket. I more talking the main upgrades and mods that I cannot reach or do in vehicle so I do not have to pull the motor again. Being a one man show should i up-pipes and turbo back exhaust or wait? thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
the stryker god

valve springs for sure, they are a bastard with the engine in
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 AM
PSN Local

Are your pistons still out?
I would look into de-lipping (or removing the "hot spots") on your pistons.
Our pistons are notorious for cracking along the sharp edge of the bowl, especially at high HP levels.

1997 F350 CCLB Dually

Mahle Ceramic Coated Pistons, Billet Crower C-Rods, Chromoly P-Rods, Beehive Springs, Fire Ring HeadGaskets, ARP H-Studs, Girdle, Mellings LPOP, Twin Termmies, 300/200 Injectors, Dual SD Fuel Pumps, Billet Plenums, 6.0 mishimoto intercooler, Compound Turbos, John Wood Tranny, 4921 Transmission Cooler.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnm30rdi3 View Post
Are your pistons still out?
I would look into de-lipping (or removing the "hot spots") on your pistons.
Our pistons are notorious for cracking along the sharp edge of the bowl, especially at high HP levels.

I have never read about this. can you please provide me a link. I did a search without finding a how-to or explanation. Are our hotspots that bad? My motor is being worked on in spare time. I have another truck until september.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsonly View Post
I have never read about this. can you please provide me a link. I did a search without finding a how-to or explanation. Are our hotspots that bad? My motor is being worked on in spare time. I have another truck until september.
Here is some info:
Delipping bowls, pistons still in motor? - PowerStrokeArmy

I think I ordered my pistons through Swamps. They went ahead and delipped the pistons for like $180.
You could also look into ceramic coating your pistons while they are out. If you plan on running substantial HP it will keep the heat off the pistons.

Some guys have used a router to do de-lip the pistons, seems a little sketchy to me. I'd send them out or see if a local machine shop can knock them out for you!

1997 F350 CCLB Dually

Mahle Ceramic Coated Pistons, Billet Crower C-Rods, Chromoly P-Rods, Beehive Springs, Fire Ring HeadGaskets, ARP H-Studs, Girdle, Mellings LPOP, Twin Termmies, 300/200 Injectors, Dual SD Fuel Pumps, Billet Plenums, 6.0 mishimoto intercooler, Compound Turbos, John Wood Tranny, 4921 Transmission Cooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode