Really confused with need for Wastegate actuator - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Really confused with need for Wastegate actuator

Hey guys hoping you can clear some stuff up for me.... I have read about 20 threads today trying to decide if i should purchase dieselsites wastegate actuator for my stock 38 when i purchase my WWII.

Currently im running with the red tube unplugged and seeing 32psi max on the setup. i have read the description of the actuator and im still unclear if i will see any benefits from it or not. I wont be upgrading turbo and injectors for a year or two as i have just finished MOST of my supporting mods. I dont want to waste money i can save for injectors and turbo down the road, but that is definitely a ways down the road.

currently im running (performance wise)
BTS trans
Dual fuel pumps (one will feed each head, regulated return, not yet installed but in the mail)
DP tuner
4" downpipe to 5" exhaust, no muffler
Bellowed up pipes
gauges
203 deg thermostat (being ordered with WWII)

if i will see an mpg or performance increase in daily driving or when i want to play and go fast it will be worth it to me.

im just unclear if unplugging the red tube does the same as the actuator (with the exception that i cant control exactly when the wastegate opens)

seems to be many mixed reviews, and the only guys ive seen reporting gains did not have tuners, or many upgrades in general

01 F250 CCSB, BTS, ICON 4" on Bilsteins, 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe, AIH delete, EBPV Delete, Recon Smoked lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS,

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 PM
whistle tits

Re: Really confused with need for Wastegate actuator

Waste of money.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
Waste of money.
So unplugging the red tube is just as effective ?

1997 F-250, D60, 8in lift/38s, OUO ladder bars, BTS, Spearco 6.0 IC, SRP 1.1, Irate 468 turbo, Dyno proven tunes, P.I.S 300/200s, ARPs/910s/Smith bros push rods, A1000/sump.

[email protected] on 38s

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM
POWER Junkie

Stock sticks, stock turbo, adjust the actuator arm by shortening it till it takes about 26-27 psi of air pressure to open the gate once the arm is back on.

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Forged
Irate T4 BASB, DIY Tymar, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR & banjos, Magnaflow TBE, GH tuned Hydra, 05 Harley's w/ HID conversion, Edge Insight CTS2, RiffRaff BRV & coolant filter, 20" Black Moto Metal, Dieselsite boots, JLR valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, ARP's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD POWER007 View Post
Stock sticks, stock turbo, adjust the actuator arm by shortening it till it takes about 26-27 psi of air pressure to open the gate once the arm is back on.
Any detailed write ups on how to do this?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 AM
whistle tits

Its pretty simple. Iirc, all you do is remove the e clip holding the actuator arm to the exhaust housing, and turn the rod, re install it, then put compressed air, regulated to whatever pressure you want, to the actuators nipple, where your red line used to be, it'll probably take a couple tries to get it right.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:18 AM
PSN Local

Definayely need a waste gate controller of some sort if you are getting a new wheel so u don't over boost stuff...factory or aftermarket. Whichever

99 F350 (99.5 motor E99 suspension)
Rebuilt tranny (with shift kit) @ 114,000
6637, Foil Delete, IC tubes Boots and clamps cleaned
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 AM
POWER Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
Its pretty simple. Iirc, all you do is remove the e clip holding the actuator arm to the exhaust housing, and turn the rod, re install it, then put compressed air, regulated to whatever pressure you want, to the actuators nipple, where your red line used to be, it'll probably take a couple tries to get it right.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Irate T4 BASB, DIY Tymar, Full Force 180/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, Driven Diesel RR & banjos, Magnaflow TBE, GH tuned Hydra, 05 Harley's w/ HID conversion, Edge Insight CTS2, RiffRaff BRV & coolant filter, 20" Black Moto Metal, Dieselsite boots, JLR valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, ARP's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

From all the forums and arguments about it it sounds like the factory waste gate starts dumping air at 5 psi no matter what you do, is this correct or not?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

01 F250 CCSB, BTS, ICON 4" on Bilsteins, 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe, AIH delete, EBPV Delete, Recon Smoked lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS,

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 AM
POWER Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbguy420 View Post
From all the forums and arguments about it it sounds like the factory waste gate starts dumping air at 5 psi no matter what you do, is this correct or not?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wrong. The preload on the wastegate from the factory on some trucks would blow open at 5-7 psi, but once you adjust it to where you want it, it wi hold fine. I adjusted mine to 26psi of preload and it would make 32-33psi without any problems. My exhaust back pressures was never more than 40 or so psi peak. That was running a WW2 which helps balance the back pressure to boost ratio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode