How far to build engine? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

How far to build engine?

I'm at that point where im deciding wether or not to save up some funds for a house and possibly a ring (i'm 18 in case some didn't know), but im defanitely going to wait at least two years to do that if this works out. However, in the mean time, me and her both agree that while i have no bills to pay and still live at home, that i should get my truck modded how i want it and then put all the $$ away for "growing up". Well, since my 02 has the $hitty rods, i am going to pull the engine to build it, yes i have powerstroke experience. I have a set of stock forged rods in a box, that i plan on using. I want to send these out to get cryo'd/and or shot peened or hardened, balanced as well. I don't want to go to the point where i need billet rods, because that's just getting too deep into it for me as a daily driver, and having a built engine fail would be devastating, so i want to shy away from that. So far for the build i have planned- head studs, valve springs, ceramic coated .0010 Mahles, mild polish job on the head, ceramic coated manifolds, possibly valve job, use the rods i have, main studs, coated bearings, fluidampr, and still undecided on the injectors, which i need help with. I wasn't planning on doing the B code route, as i have a connection and ability to possibly buy some A codes that were modified by Hypermax almost as large as a 530. However the recent talk about A codes has me debating on the B code route again. One thing i just cannot get over is compound turbos, that is defanitely going in, i have the Turbonetics drop in and im looking at the towing compounds as i do not want to get rids of the one i have now. I am looking at 500 rwhp reliably, and i don't think it would take a huge amount of fuel to get there with two chargers. Just some rough calculating and estimating, keeping around 50psi, with .0085 nozzles on stock 244cc b-codes ( joey) it should put me around 500hp, and detuning to reach that would be very nice.

Some questions- Should i worry about 500 hp with strengthened forged rods, and how about 50psi of boost on forged metal rods? I know some stuff is overkill, like main studs and ceramic coating, even pistons. However i think that if im going this far i might as well do it right. Any opinions from the "experts"?

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM
The Stig

Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99
Re: How far to build engine?

gonna need dual HPOPs too.....

2006 Ram 5.9L 2wd Gogodiesel, Garmon's Diesel
2010 Dually 6.4L, Gogodiesel, KEM Tuned
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

Sorry i just updated the sig.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 AM
The Stig

Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99

aha! nevermind. thought about headers? i love the sound of the B-codes with headers. FRICKEN SWEET!!!!!

2006 Ram 5.9L 2wd Gogodiesel, Garmon's Diesel
2010 Dually 6.4L, Gogodiesel, KEM Tuned
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

Yes i was going to bring that up. I've heard a few trucks with headers, and loved the sound. Even if it would drop the BP and EGT's just a little bit, i'm sure that could cover up the excuse to buy them just for sound. And, if you could make my 7.3 sound like a 6.0 but not be a 6.0, i'm all for that. I love how they sound. Whats the best header out there now? Ive seen Pinnacle Power's and they look a little different routed than the other ones ive seen.

Stock
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 AM
PSN Veteran

Kris, your only 18? Dude, I would have never guessed.

Sounds like you have a good recipe for 500+ HP. I'm not sure about the factory rods though. I would save for some billets. They should be the last rods you'll ever buy.

Twins? B codes? I like it!

Kris, I'll call you in a day or two with a cell phone sound clip of twins. :)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

How old did you think i was...

Stock
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Back to Civilian Life!!

Let me know how your build goes. I am deploying here in about 4 months and will be coming back from Iraq with a good bit of cash I want to put into my truck. Let me know what kind of prices your looking at for your truck getting around 500. That is right what I am wanting with mine to. Keep me updated if you dont mind. Thanks

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
aha! nevermind. thought about headers? i love the sound of the B-codes with headers. FRICKEN SWEET!!!!!
do you have any sound clips or videos of a truck with headers?

SOLD 2002 F350

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
How old did you think i was...
Hmmm, 25-28.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode