I guess it's time to lose the stock clutch! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

I guess it's time to lose the stock clutch!

Well today I have confirmed that my clutch is slipping, I recently got my DP tuner and really couldn't tell it it was slipping in the 120R or not. So in 80E on a stupid little hill around here I hit the Go pedal and the RPM's went a ways up but the speed stayed the same....

So whats recomended to replace it, how much and what all do I need???

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99
Re: I guess it's time to lose the stock clutch!

SouthBend Con OFE! with out a doubt. I think the Con O isnt enough and the Con FE is not reccomended for towing AT ALL!! it is purely a "on and off" type of clutch.
The price most everywhere is $900 for the OFE and it includes the single mass flywheel, new bearings and an upgraded fork.

~Jim
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM
SmokeyDiesel=HappyDiesel

Send a message via AIM to Hiflyer746 Send a message via Yahoo to Hiflyer746

I like my southbend ceremetalic. its not too grabby. With the large tires I have on it though, it does shake a lot engaging the clutch. No dumping the clutch here!
Tim

2000 F-350 CC LB 4x4 6 spd diesel. Mods: Hmax headgaskets, valve springs and stage II injectors. Compounds, Terminated, Dp tuner, CPRX fuel system, oil bypass kit, Ceremetalic clutch, Procomp 6.5" lift, Motometal 951, 37" Nitto Mudgrapplers, Rhino lining, Autometer C2 Pyro, Boost and Oil Pressure, Coolingmist.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

Well I need a clutch that will be able to tow alot of weight and lets out smoth so with a big load when I'm starting to go I can really ride the clutch. And at the same time one that will perform for me and grab real well when I'm playing with the truck once in a while

F550 rear suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerHauler View Post
Well I need a clutch that will be able to tow alot of weight and lets out smoth so with a big load when I'm starting to go I can really ride the clutch. And at the same time one that will perform for me and grab real well when I'm playing with the truck once in a while
Yep, Southbend Con OFE.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerHauler

Thats why I suggested the Con OFE. I talked to one of the guys at SB (forgot his name) and he told me that is what he recommends to everybody that has increased HP and tows alot or heavy. It will slide in but still hold the power once engaged fully.

~Jim
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

To be honest, there's your problem right there. Except for treatment like that there is zero reason why you should have hosed the stock clutch on stock injectors. And no matter what clutch you get short of a dual disc, treating it like that is a recipe for toasted clutches all your life.

There never exists a reason to ride a clutch. Put it in low and let it out. If you cannot do that, you need lower gearing in the truck for the load you're carrying. I have towed as much as 24,000gross with 3.73 gears and 37" tires and did not ride the clutch even taking off on hills.

A clutch that will hold a lot of torque and one that will lay down and let you kill it (be smooth while you ride the crap out of it) are mutually exclusive. A clutch that's going to hold a lot of torque will throw you clean out of the cab if you try that. And a clutch that will let you kill it like that without so much as a single chatter isn't going to hold jack, and it's not going to hold that for long.

Go with the ConOFE if you decide to stop riding the clutch, or go with the ConFE if you can't stop yourself. It'll "remind" you everytime you try and kill it.

That's not bashing you. It's what you needed to hear. Riding clutches is not the way competent drivers treat a truck. Take it or leave it.

Hope it works out either way.

Best of luck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can you just buy the upgraded clutch minus the flywheel? Already have a SBC set up but thinking of upgrading to bigger.

2005 F-250
Tuning by-Gearhead Automotive & Innovative
Performance Truck Products
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM

If you are riding the clutch you need lower gears. No matter how much you are towing it shouldn't take more than a few feet to fully engage the clutch.

SouthBend Con OFE is a great clutch for a work truck that has some extra power on tap. Good for 900 lt/lbs I think.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

Quote:
I like my southbend ceremetalic. its not too grabby. With the large tires I have on it though, it does shake a lot engaging the clutch. No dumping the clutch here!
Tim
No I guess I said that wrong (shows what happens when you're trying to explain something with the girfriend whinning on the phone ) What I think I was trying to say is when I let out the clutch I don't want it to shake unusually! I've never ridden my clutch either that's what I use Low 1 for. It works great for it to, I just don't want the unusaul shaking as described above.

Well I guess my real question is do I need a clutch? today is the one and only time its ever sipped, in the 80E tune on a dumb little hill givin it throttle. RPM's went up but the speed didn't, was it just like a once thing or does it sound like it needs replacement?

F550 rear suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode