Blow by & rings... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Blow by & rings...

I finally got to drive the truck after having just swapped Pistons. The only thing I changed was Pistons. I used the 'old' rings because they barely had 12k miles on them and looked great. Cross hatch on all cylinders looked like I just did them.
Now when the motor is warm I see a lot of smoke from the breather, dipstick, etc. it definitley was not like that before the swap.

Is this somewhat normal and will settle down as the rings re-seat?

Or something else up?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Blow by & rings...

Does it have the CCV mod? or does it have it ran into the intake still? With the hose still ran into the intake circuit, on my truck, you cant see anything from the oil fill cap. I thinkt he following looks pretty normal for a truck with a CCV mod. Just my .02

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

I think it will settle down after you get some miles on it.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Plays with Motors

Did you put the rings back in the same cylinder with the same orientation (up/down) as they were before?

2011 335i M-Sport
2000 F-250 7.3L ( Sold )
1966 Mustang Fastback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 AM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
I finally got to drive the truck after having just swapped Pistons. The only thing I changed was Pistons. I used the 'old' rings because they barely had 12k miles on them and looked great. Cross hatch on all cylinders looked like I just did them.
Now when the motor is warm I see a lot of smoke from the breather, dipstick, etc. it definitley was not like that before the swap.

Is this somewhat normal and will settle down as the rings re-seat?

Or something else up?

Thanks.
What Machinist said.

One question though, you went through the trouble to pull the motor and change the pistons; rings are cheap.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Body Type: MULE

they have to be reseated, next time though save some yourself some possible future headaces and purchase new rings.

Another question though, Why did you change the pistons, or what to?

2011- F250 PSD CCSB 4x4 HS PERFORMANCE Tuning DPF OFF EGR OFF TRUCK HAPPY DRIVER HAPPY

your #1 NON-Cult member of the USA Government JustinM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Did you put the rings back in the same cylinder with the same orientation (up/down) as they were before?
Yes, I was very careful, did them one at at time and made sure they went in exactly as they came out.

Quote:
One question though, you went through the trouble to pull the motor and change the pistons; rings are cheap.
Yup, I tried to plan ahead and get everything ready. When it came time to actually do the swap I never thought about rings. If I had not just put them in 12k miles ago, I would have waited and got new ones, but I couldn't see spending another $200 and delaying the already way behind project even more.

I ran a hose from the breather up over the brake booster and is ends under the driver's feet. Been like this for many years. Smoke/blow-by now makes you think there's an exhaust leak under the truck.

I swapped Pistons to get rid of the shaved Pistons I put in there a few years ago. Shaved too much off them last time, this set has about .008" off the top to clean them up, and just a little bowl work done to them.

If it doesn't settle down after a while, I guess I could do a compression test to see if something is messed up.

Thanks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Jim is the "smoke" steady or is it puffing?

2011- F250 PSD CCSB 4x4 HS PERFORMANCE Tuning DPF OFF EGR OFF TRUCK HAPPY DRIVER HAPPY

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:36 PM
PSN Veteran

I think that the CCV can be somewhat deceiving, making you think there is a problem when there isn't. A friend of mine has a 2000 PSD and his CCV smokes a lot when the truck is up to operating temp, yet it still runs awesome, great power, always starts in the cold and has <100K on it.

Maybe you do indeed have a problem, but I'd do a compression test and if that shows good I'd forget about the CCV gasses you see.

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Keystone style rings shrink without heat, and seal up when heat is applied to them. This is doen to extend the life of the cylinder pack. So if the truck is idling and no "heat" is being applied to speak of it will have some blowby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode