Shot Peening rods - Page 4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Village Idiot

Re: Shot Peening rods

at 550 and above i would look into aftermarket rods..maybe not depending on who is doing your tuning and if they were tweeked or live tuned etc vs canned tunes.
Don't think just because they are from dp, gear head, tw, swamps etc that they are custom.
they all use base templates and thus are canned tunes, just a much better can.
spend the extra coin and have them calibrate it for your mods, even better spend even more coin and get it live tuned on a dyno and street for the best.

but to me seems like at 1400$ i would want something better then pimped out forged rods.
since your going to have to install or pay even more to install them.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM
PSN Local

Wouldn't WOP's cryno'd factory forged rods be the way to go for 500-525hp?

2002 F-350 CCLB 7.3 250,000 Miles *** 5" MKO Power Exhaust, 6637, Foil Delete, DB's HT Starter, EV2 Gauges, 6.0 IC/TC, Van Turbo, WW, Casserly Stg. 1 Singles, BTS VB, DP Tuner, HPX***
2008 F-450 CCDRW 80k ***4"DP-5"MBRP, S&B Intake, Elite EGR delete w/ wastegate, Elite Studs, DPF/DOC delete, KEM 345***
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM
PSN Local

I believe billet rods are always the way to go if you're going through the trouble of building a motor. But if the funds just aren't there, the cryo process can definitley increase the strength of your factory pieces.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
Don't think just because they are from dp, gear head, tw, swamps etc that they are custom.
they all use base templates and thus are canned tunes, just a much better can.
i guess im not following you here. thats like saying my moms chili is the same as the #### that comes in a can, when in all reality its not.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Village Idiot

Think of it this way
If your mom buys a can of chili and ads to it 3 spices and some chives it tases better and becomes her recipe...looks and tastes way better but wonlt win the ribbon at the fair.

She goes out starts from scratch tastes it and seasons it to perfection whe have a big ribbon.

Ie I tell bill, jodi,dave etc I have a 2002 with intake ehaust guages . Minime injectors
I get a nice chip.

I tell them I have hypermax rods, so you can play with the tables more, I get customised tunes, and prob a slightly bigger bill.

I tell them throw it on the dyno then tune it...I get the ribbon

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Village Idiot

Another way to look at it is
Each truck is different even in the same year similar mods... some take it some don't

How many pmr trucks would last a year with kainers old mods and tunes..(rip)
How long did his ttuck run at those levels...his was made mutant material under a full moon to be sure...but I am sure good tunes helped it along.

and if iirc he was getting new tunes for it after some more mods when it let go, had he had the tunes it may or may not have lived.

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:00 AM
Pulling sled for hire

What size nozzles was kainers running on his injectors? I know he used a few different sets, but does anyone know?

Justin

'97 F-250 - 255k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, live tuned by Jonathan @ BDP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Old Geezer

After cryo the parts should be tempered again. Any retained austenite that is changed to martensite will be hard and brittle. Tempering will change the martensite to hard and tough.

Chuck
2003 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM
PSN Local

Correct. Tempering is part of the cryogenics process, which is also done here in-house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode